Week 8 finished - and my first 3 mile run

I've just done w8r3, but also I was a bad boy and overran for 5 minutes and completed 3 miles (it would have been the full 5K but I ran out of track and I didn't want to have the dog off the leash on the road).

Things didn't start well as I was due to due the run yesterday but woke up with blocked ears and feeling a bit crap, and, as I had had a busy weekend of kayaking and cycling, I felt I could have an additional rest day. Anyway I ended up taking the afternoon off sick as my muzzy head turned into a full-blown headache and every was sounding like Metal Mickey.

This morning I woke up feeling better and when I saw the dawning of a beautiful day I knew I just had to get out. So off I set with a very excited Schnauzer in tow. However, when I came to the start of my run and I unleashed the dog and started endomondo I managed to rewind the podcast to the beginning instead of pausing/restarting. Anyway I couldn't work out how to fast forward to the beginning of the run section and I didn't want to stop (or run into a tree whilst fiddling) so I decided to run until Laura said "5 minutes to go". It felt a bit weird to be running to the walking music and it definitely slowed my pace, as when I reached 28 minutes I had only covered 2.5 miles (0.2 miles less than my last run). When Laura piped up rather than stopping I decided to run the extra 5 minutes as I felt OK, and as I came to a halt endomondo (which has a kind of robo-Laura) told me I had done 3 miles in 33 minutes.

What's weird is that although I felt I could have carried on beyond even that, when I got home I started to feel lousy again, to the extent that I'm going to work from home in case that headache comes back.

So the question is how far will I be able to run when I'm better? I can't wait to find to find out, week 9 now holds no fears for me.

BTW - does anyone else take great pleasure in deleting the completed podcasts?

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

oldestnewest

You may also like...