I did it! My first ParkRun :-)

I was so nervous beforehand that if I had not told my son that I was going and I'd give him a lift, I may have chickened out! I know it's silly being nervous as I'd run 5 km earlier in the week and knew I could do it. It was really warm today - certainly warmer than I've run for weeks - and I got an awfully dry mouth.

I started near the back of the field and I stayed near the back of the field, but even so, I felt I set off a little too fast and really struggled to keep running. The 5k route is 3 laps of a park and by the second lap I wanted to walk, but I imagined Laura talking to me, telling me that I was halfway there. I also remembered her line about no matter now tired she felt, the satisfaction of keeping going was better than any short-lived joy felt at stopping running. So I kept going. On the final lap I *really* felt like stopping, not walking - but stopping, but I thought that since I'd kept going on the previous lap, I may as well keep running now! I'm nowt if not stubborn! For the last lap I was about 100m behind a wee lad - about 7 years old - and no matter how much I pushed I couldn't get any closer! (Not that I was going to do a Mr Bean at the Olympics and push the wee lad out the way!)

The results show I did the run in 32.48. Nae bad, I suppose, for someone who's only been running for 8 weeks, (My son did it 10 mins faster, but he's been running for years, is built like a rake and is a marathon runner!) I wasn't last - only 5th from the end of the field of 55 runners.

I certainly did not feel invigorated or relaxed like I did on my own last run, but I feel it was a useful exercise to get a base line of my pace at this stage. I may go back in a month, or 10 weeks, or after I've run another 100 km, or sometime...

That was my Week 8 run 2, so fours runs until graduation, although, because I was 'cheating', I've already done 4 x 30 min runs . I *may* do another run in public tomorrow (if I feel up to it) as the local radio station is holding a Day One event for the launch of the 5X50 Challenge.

Then I'm going back to refreshing, no clock watching, 5K+ runs on my own in the woods!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Well done and what a good time too!

• You should be really proud of yourself! That's a brilliant time - I managed only 4.8k in 35 minutes this morning! Keep up the good work x

• Thats brilliant swanscot, well done you!

• Fantastic time, well done! Like you, I did a real 5k event for my wk8r2 this Sunday which wasn't easy but it's more important to keep running the whole way at this stage than anything else :) Good luck with the rest of the programme!

You may also like...