W4R1 - WOW!!!!

I actually lost sleep over this last night. I had a dream that I quit before the finish and woke up in a cold sweat! I spent a good 30 minutes awake in bed ruminating the best way to go about this before finally getting up and out there.

Lovely, if chilly, morning in North Wales today so I started out positively thinking about the 5+ minutes I had achieved off my own back at the end of W3R3. I CAN do this!!

The first two runs felt wonderful. I found a nice steady rhythm; no niggles from my left leg (could it be that it's finally getting used to this running malarky??) and the first 5 minute run was a real pleasure. I even did the last 60 seconds of it up a hill!!

I honestly could have carried on but Laura says walk so I behaved myself and did as she commanded. So then Laura starts to talk about stitches. I haven't had a glimmer of any such thing but then sure enough, as soon as she mentioned it, that evill fella Mr Stitchy started to rear his ugly head. Not painful but I was aware of something. It's not unknown for me to be somewhat psychosamatic in my aches and pains so I completely blame Laura for my stitch!!

So onto the last 5 minute run. Legs felt good, I had plenty of breath and the niggly stitch had disappeared - out of sight out of mind I guess. Everything was going well until Laura informed me there was still 2 minutes to go. It's as if my bodyswitch went straight to off. Everything started to become a real effort and by the last minute the legs were like lead, I was gasping for air and my head was rolling so much I could have been a dead ringer for Paula Radcliffe - only about 1:43729438274327th of the speed!! But if W3 taught me one thing it's mind over matter and I pushed and pushed on, finally completing the last minute which may as well have been an hour!!

4.6k done even with that last minutes snail pace. I know I can get faster so aiming to get close to 5k by R3 on Wednesday. Exhausted, but happy and so bloody proud of myself. There's no way on earth I could have imagined I could run that much just a few weeks ago. Cannot wait for Monday's run now.

Happy weekend running everybody!!!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

1 Reply

oldestnewest
  • I'm sitting with a cup of coffee having finished reading the news and I though I'll just pop onto the blogs and see what's what.

This is brilliant Fraz, I can appreciate the pre run nerves, I'm going to be the same on Monday. So glad you managed to get through, well done.

You may also like...