Pain at back of Rib Cage

Afternoon all, I am only on Week 2 of this programme, dont seem to have any problems with my knees or ankles, other than a slight pull to my calf from walking up stairs. However, when I started running this morning, I could immediately feel a ache/pain right at the back of my rib cage, which made it difficult to breathe properly.

It is still painful now when I try to twist, so can only assume I have pulled some muscles/tendons in this area.

Has anyone else had these pains, and how long did they last!?

See you at finish line....

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

1 Reply

oldestnewest
  • Hi 'Sedge,' sounds like what I'm recovering from. Went to the doctors and she said it was an intercostal muscle strain. I did mine dancing I think, got a bit carried away :) She recommended paracetamol and ibuprofen gel and warned me it could take 6 weeks to heal. However it's been 2 weeks and it's almost gone, and she said I could still run :)Hope that's been helpful, but I would see the doctor just to make sure! Btw it started at the back of my ribcage and is now just on one side, so not as bad and I don't get spasms anymore. Good luck and hope you feeling better soon ;)

You may also like...