20 minutes, at last! (W5R3)

Today I finally completed W5 R3!

I had failed to complete this run last week (I think on Saturday) and had tried to trick myself into avoiding a big hill at about 8 minutes by running my route backwards... when I then encountered the other side of that hill at 8 minutes. I then gave up, and managed to do 8minutes, 2 minutes, 5 minutes. (with some walking between those times)

I retracked to run 2, which is the 2x 8 minutes (with trying to go for a little bit longer for each 8), and successfully managed that. I gave myself a little bit extra recovery time, leaving from Monday to Thursday mornings and heading out this morning.

I had planned on trying the 8, 8 again, and aiming for about 10, 10, but I thought, I'll try the 20 minutes, and if I only make it to the first 10 minutes, then I'll pause and do the rest after a few minutes.

But, lo! What a joyous occasion!

I reached the end, without stopping (and tackling that hill at about minute 13?), and whilst I hurt a huge amount, I managed it, and I am so proud of myself!

Not been brave enough to find out what week 6 requires of me, yet, but right now, I think I'll bask in the glory!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Thats brilliant news,Ive got the 2minute run still ahead of me,hopefully on sunday & im dreading it

• I did find that the advice I had about having to be in the right frame of mind for it very important!

I woke up yesterday morning, meaning to go out, but having almost decided against getting up at all, I felt guilty, got out of bed, brushed my teeth and just realised my heart wasn't in it, so got back into bed.

This morning, I got up, and felt like I'd manage it. Giving myself the smaller target (or the opportunity to split it into two runs) meant that I had the choice when I got to ten minutes, and that almost spurred me on to go for the whole thing!

Best of luck for your run!

You may also like...