I finally feel as though I have earned my graduate badge!

This morning I did it! I FINALLY RAN 5 KM! I graduated from the programme about 3 weeks ago, but that 5 km has always been just much that too far for me. Today I got up determined to try again. Couldn't find my i-shuffle, so I grabbed my daughter's one as I left the house. (Thought it could be an interesting listen!) I was actually very impressed by her choice - some great songs to run to! Anyway, I got to my usual 4 km point, when I normally give up and walk the last km as I am just too tired, and sure enough, once again I felt incredibly tired. Really did not think my legs could keep running for another 1 km. Then a certain song came on my daughter's shuffle: I am a woman on a mission. I have just googled the lyrics so you can see why it motivated me to carry on. This is the chorus/end refrain:

I am a woman, on a mission, whoa

Nothing can stop me, I'm stronger than ever

I'm gonna see this through

I am a woman, on a mission, whoa

Whatever it takes I'll do what I gotta do

I never give up, I never give up, I never give up

I'm on a mission

I never give up, I never give up,

I'm gonna see this through

I never give up, I never give up, I never give up

I'm on a mission

Whatever it takes, I'll do what I gotta do.

Had a little laugh to myself (actually that may have been out loud, but I think I was out early enough for noone to be around to hear me!) and I CONTINUED! AND I made it to 5 km! YES! In 41 minutes too - I am really very impressed with myself!

My legs now ache like mad, but I doubt I'll need them much today - feel as though I am just floating around. I FINALLY earned that graduate badge!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Well done! A fellow runner posted this link yesterday. The BBC newsreader Sophie Raworth used the same song to keep motivated whilst running the London marathon.

m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-1...

Still over 1km away from the magical 5 myself, might give the song a listen!

• Thanks for that link! Just looked at it! WOW! She managed a marathon! Rather pales my mere 5 km - but obviously I need to get that song on my i-shuffle now too (or my daughter will lose hers each time I run!)

You may also like...