Running in Kenya Finished week 7- 2.1 miles

Finally got hold of a pedometer. It only marks miles, so now I know I ran for 25 minutes and went 2.1 miles. By my calculations that is not very good - only a bit faster than a brisk 4 miles an hour walk. You guys who have graduated, did you get faster automatically or do you have to push the pace eventually? However, 3 months ago I couldn't run for 5 minutes, let alone 25 so this does work!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • There is a saying that if you want to run faster you have to run further!

You are doing really well. Honestly, dont worry about going faster just yet.

Most advice I have read (websites/Runners World mag) say just keep adding 10% to one of your runs each week (after you graduate!) to build stamina. If you then also incorporate intervals (this is where you run at your easy pace t o warm up then run at full pelt for shortish bursts, as many times as you can) once a week this helps.

You may find that when you need to you can go faster - parkruns are good for proving this. I am slow and was taking about 43 mins to do 5k then I did a parkrun in 38 mins much to my surprise.

• Thank you! That makes sense. No parks or park runs here I'm afraid, but I will be running with friends next week in the countryside.

• Just back from Wk8 Rn1 - 28 minutes and I only ran 3.16km (mapped it on 'mapmyrun.com'). Knee pain not at all good and felt like I was hobbling along. I'm going to take more rest before the next run. But I'm following Laura's advice and not worrying about speed - it really is a question of stamina building, isnt it. Deryn61's experience is very encouraging - I'm sure we'll improve with time. Keep going, good luck on week 8!

You may also like...