Returning after a break - how should I get back into it?

I've been away for some time from the plan. I hurt my ankle a month ago, took two and a half weeks off, then returned with new runners for two runs (20 mins and 25 mins). Then I went away for a week and a half... so I'm back and feeling the fear about getting back into it. Where should I start again? I was wondering about doing week 6 again, then building up again to week 9? I had reached W8R2 before the break. I think that the difference between 7/8/9 is not so large so I could always do W6, then go on to W8 again if I am feeling up to it? Does this sound sensible to get back into it with one of the interval weeks, rather than with a long run? I have a 5k race on May 20th, which is helping me focus but is also the goal I need to get to by then!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I would do the 20 minute week 5 run 3 and then week 6 and then see how you feel as to whether to skip week 7 or not. You don't want to risk hurting yourself and then not being abe to do the 5k race at all.

• Thanks for your help! I actually got this after I headed out on Wk6R1, but I think being able to stop every so often helped! I will do as you advise and not skip W7, although I might do W6R3 four times instead as I really hated W7 the first time around! Will make it sometime :-)

You may also like...