One week on - ankle still a bit sore

Last Tuesday I felt like I had done my ankle some damage - it was sore on the outside of the ankle bone (left) after the run and I didn't feel comfortable during the run (hypochondriacal google suggests my peroneal tendon playing up). I was on Wk8R2. I rested for the last week and iced and took ibuprofen for the first few days (as well as some elevation). It is much much better, but there is still a slight bit of residual pain - particularly if I give the ankle bone a firm poke. There was no swelling, nor was it ever so bad that I couldn't walk on it. I am planning on getting new runners - but I'm wondering how long I should wait before getting back into running?

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • This is such a hard one, which I guess explains the lack of responses so far. I'm not a medical bod, so don't take any advice from me, but I suppose it depends upon your attitude to running. I'm 49 - I'm *old*, and conservative, and see the c25k as an interesting challenge, having never run before. If I hadn't made it to 5k, it wouldn't have been the end of the world. For that reason, I am very cautious about injury, and would rather not run if in any doubt. Other people have different priorities, and will run regardless of aches and pains, so I don't think there are any hard and fast rules - not much help I'm afraid, but you've come this far, so by now I guess you probably know what's right for you!

• Thank you - I think you are right - today, tomorrow, next week - it doesn't really matter when it happens as long as it happens when I'm ready for it. I'm going to take a few more days off and treat myself to new runners so I can feel optimistic about starting back. Think I needed your attitude re-check!

You may also like...