Recovery after illness - this should not have worked!!

I was so chuffed with myself: at age 55 and 4 stone overweight I had successfully got to wk5 r2 and was eagerly (lol) awaiting run 3, when I went down with a horrible chest infection. In the end I had to have time off work and just knew I couldn't get back to running yet as I was coughing like a 100 a day merchant. I was really down about it all. The doc checked me over and said I could start again when I felt like it and it wouldn't do me any harm (this was down to the nature of the infection, not a general piece of advice, so do take care if you're in the same situation).

So last weekend - after a 4 week gap in total - I felt OK to give it a go, and, mainly because I couldn't be bothered to re-download the previous podcasts which I'd so confidently deleted, I just went back to wk5 r1, giving myself permission to walk if I felt overstretched. But it was OK - I did all the runs! So today I did wk5 r2, and actually found myself starting the second run early, so I did 8 mins run, 3 mins walk, 10 mins run. And I allowed myself a good stretch of faster run for the last 60 secs, which felt wonderful, springing homewards.....

So if you have to have a break, don't be too downhearted - if my experience is anything to go by, you will bounce back!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Well done - great that you're so full of beans and got straight back on it!

• Well done :-)

You may also like...