W6 R2 ✅🌧🥶: •Nice and slow, really slow that it... - Couch to 5K

Couch to 5K

118,656 members149,687 posts

W6 R2 ✅🌧🥶

sally1993 profile image
sally1993

•Nice and slow, really slow that it wasn’t difficult, physically I had enough fuel in the tank to speed up at the end.

•Last interval run! 😃

•Last run before my ‘official runner’ run

•Was a drowned rat by the end of it 🌧 but an Olympic puddle hopper 🏃🏼‍♀️

•Tried out my new garmin watch! 🕗 ready for my 25 mins at the weekend 😝 think I’ve got it sussed

•Discovered I spent 70% of my session in HR zone 4

•FULL of self belief but out of energy for the day.

Night gang ✌️

30 Replies

GO SALLY! You’re smashing it!

Wait, what’s HR Zone 4?

:D thanks!

according to the garmin:

Zone 1 (Warm Up): 50-60% of Max HR

Training in zone 1 feels like a relaxed, easy pace with rhythmic breathing. It improves your heart’s ability to pump blood and your muscles’ ability to use oxygen. Brisk walking is a typical zone 1 exercise.

Zone 2 (Easy): 60-70% of Max HR

Training in zone 2 is at a comfortable pace, where you’re breathing more deeply but can still hold a conversation. It’s good for recovery and basic cardiovascular training. Light jogging typically falls into zone 2.

Zone 3 (Aerobic): 70-80% of Max HR

Zone 3 training is done at a moderate pace, where it’s more difficult to hold a conversation. This strengthens your lungs and heart for more endurance. Easy running is done in zone 3.

Zone 4 (Threshold): 80-90% of Max HR

In zone 4, you’re moving at a fast, almost uncomfortable pace with forceful breathing. It improves anaerobic capacity and lactate threshold. Fast runs fall into zone 4.

Zone 5 (Maximum): 90-100% of Max HR

When you reach zone 5, you typically are at a sprint pace that is difficult to sustain for long. Breathing is labored. Zone 5 training builds power, as well as anaerobic and muscular endurance.

acountrycabbage profile image
acountrycabbageGraduate in reply to sally1993

Ah, Heart Rate. Wow, so sounds like you’re really pushing yourself but remaining comfortable, that’s great!

What distance/speed are you doing overall? I’m fairly happy that I’m close to covering 4K on week 4 so it’s about to get interesting 😊

I might have to grill you about your Garmin later down the line. I’d definitely like something and I’m torn between this and the Apple Watch. Going to hold off until I feel like a runner though. Probably graduation time as a reward 😬

I think that's a good description! I am trying to remain comfortable but constantly reminding myself to slow down because I keep pushing.

Honestly, very slowly apparently yesterday! I'll post a pic x

Papillon17 profile image
Papillon17Graduate

Well done great progress. Treat The next runs exactly the same slow and easy having plenty of fluids. Good luck.

sally1993 profile image
sally1993 in reply to Papillon17

Thank you! X

Smile23 profile image
Smile23Graduate

Good on you girl go for it😁

sally1993 profile image
sally1993 in reply to Smile23

:D thank you!!!

Instructor57 profile image
Instructor57Ambassador

Well done Sally , looks like your doing great !

Ooh and a new Garmin watch 😬👍 enjoy!

You'll smash the 25 mins, remember just keep your pace under control 👍

Thank you! Yes I wanted something for the longer runs, I got the 45s, looked like a more affordable option.

Instructor57Ambassador in reply to sally1993

Great choice, exactly what I have 😂

Twins!

Instructor57Ambassador in reply to sally1993

Haha 😬😬

Sounds like you have just the attitude (and gear) needed for the next run, great work! Though you may find zone 3 is more sustainable!

Thank you! Yes I think I will try and keep it a bit lower I have heard zone 3 is a good place to train x

Nilsam profile image
NilsamGraduate

Well done for getting out there...you are a runner already. Love the statement system. Go you!

sally1993 profile image
sally1993 in reply to Nilsam

Awww thank you, I was too tired to form sentences hahaha! That's lovely :) Nice to be told I'm already a runner.

Nilsam profile image
NilsamGraduate in reply to sally1993

You are doing great. :-)

PhoenixRise profile image
PhoenixRiseGraduate

Well done 👍 Next run and you’re a runner! 🏃‍♂️ Loving reading your journey - you have oozed positivity since the beginning but you’ve really changed the way you write about running - have you noticed?! 😉

I just had a read back! It's like the evolution of a new runner :D Thank you really glad to hear you've liked reading about it <3 As have I all of yours x

You've got it. Having fuel in the tank at the end is exactly correct keep doing it that way and you will smash it-- without

Any injuries.

😇😎

Thank you so much, I will do my best to keep at it like this! X

tonybobo profile image
tonyboboGraduate

I’m right behind you W6R2 today, but will wait for new running shoes to be delivered. Never believed I would be buying running shoes at 63 years old.

sally1993 profile image
sally1993 in reply to tonybobo

Good luck today! Enjoy the new shoes :D mine got ruined in the rain yesterday.. x

Stuff them with paper, keep away from any heat and wait 4-5 hours and restuff if necessary.

mrrun profile image
mrrunGraduate

Proper shirt. I love that. 👍 Nice running too!

sally1993 profile image
sally1993 in reply to mrrun

😂 was waiting for comments on the shirt!! X

mrrun profile image
mrrunGraduate in reply to sally1993

Although l run exclusively by wearing the NBA basketball gear, on special occasion I will wear similar top to the one that you have and run deep into the enemy territory.

sally1993 profile image
sally1993 in reply to mrrun

😂😂😂😂

Moomin63 profile image
Moomin63Graduate

Well done! 😀

You may also like...