Consolidation runs are tough ๐Ÿ˜ข: I graduated at... - Couch to 5K

Couch to 5K

109,660 members โ€ข 141,681 posts

Consolidation runs are tough ๐Ÿ˜ข

Dreambird
DreambirdGraduate
โ€ข10 Replies

I graduated at the start of July - amazing high after completing that last run on week 9 but omg itโ€™s been tough since then. Whereโ€™s my focus and my โ€˜ I can do this โ€˜ mantra gone ?

My run days are a bit ad hoc - not a regular set part of my week and I keep saying Iโ€™ll run tomorrow. Consequently Iโ€™m finding I run a couple of times a week maybe itโ€™s because Iโ€™m not having to tick off my runs to achieve my goal. I think Iโ€™m going to make myself weekly goals to aim for. I thought achieving 5 k would be the goal - while it is - Iโ€™m not so motivated as Iโ€™m finding running 30/40 mins non stop so tough - I want to stop around 20 mins. Sometimes I plod on through other times I walk.

Iโ€™ve achieved 5k twice since graduation so Iโ€™m pleased with my progress and yes my progress has totally amazed me since the start of c25k - guess I sort of thought ......... ?! Iโ€™m sure the more I get out and run the more comfortable it will feel after all Iโ€™m really still a newbie at this.

Ok enough said - Iโ€™ve got this - letโ€™s keep on running ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐ŸŒโœ…

10 Replies
oldest โ€ข newest

You're doing brilliantly!

I was exactly the same. Once I completed it I lost all motivation. I didn't go often and when I did I didn't have the same drive to keep going.

I decided the same as you, that I needed something to aim for.

Ultimately I'd like to aim for 10k but I know I need to consolidate first, so in the mean time I signed up on the website "race at your own pace" and signed up to run 35 miles (56km) throughout July, it cost ยฃ15 and at the end I'll get a medal and a t-shirt, they also provide a tracking sheet. It's made all the difference for me, I have about 6.7miles left to achieve my goal in just over a week, so now I know i could potentially do more in August! I might even start working towards 10km now ๐Ÿ˜

I've also started seeing a personal trainer once a week to help me to learn strength building exercises in order to aid my running.

I hope you get your motivation back too โฃ

Dreambird
DreambirdGraduate in reply to Twowheelrider

Thatโ€™s really interesting- I like the idea of โ€œ race at your own paceโ€ I shall take a look at that definitely. I actually ran on Thursday morning with no other reason than I felt I should and just chose a different route around the roads locally and I got on fine - really enjoyed it. I also would like to eventually get to a 10k comfortable pace so your tips are really appreciated and very helpful- thanks for your time. Onwards all us runners ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿคฉ

Roxdog
RoxdogGraduate

I was exactly the same after graduation, finding 20 mins tough! I changed my runnin g routesand that helped a lot. I went exploring and lost track of time

Maybe an idea?

Gordygirl
GordygirlGraduate

Iโ€™ve done 5 graduation runs now and I am also finding them tough. I have completed the 30 minutes each time, but like you, find the 20 minutes onwards bit really hard. My goal each time I set out is to get to the 5k (I am on just over 4K in my 30 minutes) but I have to stop after 30 minutes as I feel I have nothing left to give so I am now going to focus on getting better at that last ten minutes. If you have managed 5k twice that is amazing - you have certainly got this. We canโ€™t let all that hard work go to waste ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ

Dreambird
DreambirdGraduate in reply to Gordygirl

Youโ€™re so right - all that hard work is definitely not going to go to waste. Iโ€™m sure that slowly my focus and motivation will improve. Iโ€™m going to try a different route and just settle in to enjoy the running- we are really beginners at this running so I guess itโ€™s just about continuing what we achieved so far. Letโ€™s keep on running Gordygirl - weโ€™ve got this ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿ‘โœ…๐Ÿคฉ

Hmmm how about instead of running longer to reach 5K, you run the 30 mins and work on increasing pace? Also, goal wise, maybe book yourself a 5K run somewhere for a few months in the future(maybe even the spring?) and train to get the best time for that? X

Dreambird
DreambirdGraduate in reply to sally1993

Ok good plan - Iโ€™ll try that next time - run 30 mins and see what pace Iโ€™m at and then I can concentrate on improving my pace. I wondered about booking in for a 5k run - sounds a bit daunting but it would be a focus for the future. Thanks for your thoughts- really appreciate your time. ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿ‘โœ…

sally1993
sally1993 in reply to Dreambird

You are very welcome! This forum is my new favourite thing hahah

This is my plan for when I graduate so I hope it works for you.. please let me know :)

Tinytears60
Tinytears60Graduate

I run with my coach ... I need the structure for now!... he spurs me on.... Iโ€™m finding consolidations a bit challenging... 20 minutes in the gremlin shows his face and pesters me to stop!... as you say I think itโ€™s cos of not having to tick runs off but

Hey how we are doing it... and youโ€™ve already hit the 5k mark ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ well done

I agree they are really tough. Iโ€™ve thought a few timeโ€™s about restarting the programme. Iโ€™m still jogging but do find it really tough. Any help would be great.

You may also like...