Committing time - W1R1 as consolidation, no wa... - Couch to 5K

Couch to 5K

109,636 members β€’ 141,640 posts

Committing time - W1R1 as consolidation, no walking!

Thatwasunexpected
ThatwasunexpectedGraduate
β€’12 Replies

I'd been playing with this idea since around W8 and decided if I'm going to do it, I need to do it now!

For the next "however many weeks I can" I'm setting aside my Thursday run to go out with Michael in my ear but:

* When he says walk, I jog - pace as slow as I need but mustn't walk.

* When he says run I (try to) maintain 5 min/km, or 8 minute miles. 5:30 will be the slowest acceptable.

* When he says stop, I jog whatever's left of 5k total. Pace doesn't matter but mustn't walk.

* Will aim to complete one of each run (so, W1 today, W2 next Thurs and so on) but must complete a run with the 5:30/km pace "running" bits before trying the next.

*Tues and Sat will be runs as normal.

Will be out later (got some work stuff to do first) but decided if I post now I can't back out without you guys pointing and laughing (you have my full permission in this case, in fact it may be needed to keep me going.... πŸ€ͺ)

Wish me luck.... :D

12 Replies
oldest β€’ newest
MontyMooDog
MontyMooDogGraduate

Sounds interesting. Let us know how it goes and good luckπŸ‘πŸ˜

JeanneMary
JeanneMaryGraduate

Good luck!!

AlMorr
AlMorrGraduate

Just for a moment I thought you were a completely new runner and thought to myself is this new runner to C25K gone bonkers, then noticed that the word Graduate is next to your username.

That's OK, but don't give that idea to new runners, some graduates of C25K go back to weeks 1 and 2 for interval training, your idea is fine, good luck.

Thatwasunexpected
ThatwasunexpectedGraduate in reply to AlMorr

Good point! Have amended the title :)

John_W
John_WAmbassador

That is essentially the structure of the C25k+ 'Speed' podcast. I still use that structure (except I make a 'pyramid' of speed - 'Russian steps') when I'm doing a treadmill interval session - for that's what it is.

Birdlady64
Birdlady64Graduate

Interesting idea...

Good luck! Will wait to hear how it goes with interest 😁

Ok, looks like I'm doing that one again next Thursday :D

All went pretty good for the first 5 intervals, and about 45 seconds of the 6th. Then I just had to walk. Kept going with 60 second walk / jog as long as I could for the remains of the 5k and finished in 33:44 overall.

Looking at the data afterwards, I think I know where I went wrong. The first 5 "running" splits paces per km were:

5:01

4:40

4:52

4:03

3:54

That's just a little quicker than I'd intended! :D It's also the first time my watch has rewarded me with an anaerobic training effect, having spent 20 minutes above my lactate threshold, which was nice :)

So, next week it's a case of try to control the pace better - a lot like the first time round, just quicker!

Foxyblue
FoxyblueGraduate

I like this idea. I’ve been thinking of something similar (though no where as close to your speed πŸ™ˆ) I’ve talked my husband into starting the program so I’m thinking of starting with him but slow jogging when he brisk walks and run when he runs so eventually we will be running together the whole time πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ look forward to hearing how it goes for you next time πŸ‘πŸΌ

Dtay1978
Dtay1978Graduate

Good luck πŸ™‚

packersruns
packersrunsGraduate

Oooo this sounds like a good idea! I’m worried I would actually listen though and rest when I’m told to rest hahaha!

Thatwasunexpected
ThatwasunexpectedGraduate in reply to packersruns

At least for the first few the (very) gentle jogging felt like a rest after the quicker bits :D

packersruns
packersrunsGraduate in reply to Thatwasunexpected

Oh yeah I can imagine hahaha!

You may also like...