W6R3.... Done!!!: If Michael Johnson says I'm a... - Couch to 5K

Couch to 5K
102,843 members β€’ 132,473 posts

W6R3.... Done!!!

Thatwasunexpected
Thatwasunexpected
β€’9 Replies

If Michael Johnson says I'm a runner, that's good enough for me :D :D :D

Was a bit concerned about the wind today - still a fairly steady 25mph out there - but it was mostly a cross-wind on my normal route, so a bit buffetty but not as crippling as I'd feared.

All the same, took it nice and steady as the longest one to date. Overall pace was about 7:45/km against my usual of around 6:30. That was a little quicker than I'd expected but I was lucky with the wind direction so made the most of it.

By just short of half way I was beginning to think that getting carried away on my recovery walk yesterday (planned a 5km stroll, ended up taking the longer route at 8.5km) may have been a mistake!

The sides of my hips were starting to ache a little but they didn't seem to be getting worse and it wasn't painful so much as distracting, so I told myself to stop being a wimp and carried on up the short-ish couple of hundred yards of hill to the turning point.

I've taken to running a bit past the half-way bell before turning because I usually seem to be a little quicker on the way back and like to finish at the start line rather than running into my cool-down distance. It also means that, when I turn, I know I've got to keep going for a couple of minutes less than I've already managed which I find easier mentally than turning thinking "got to do all that again!"

On the run back, opened my stride out a little at the "5 minutes to go" point because I felt I still had it in me (and the ache had finally burned out of my hips} and hit my "normal" average of about 6:30 / km.

Then, when Michael said "1 minute, try increasing the pace if you can" still found more in the tank. Upped it to 5:30 pace (my eventual personal target for a mile & a half) to see what that felt like. It hurt! Then almost collapsed when he gave permission to walk. I honestly thought for a moment that I was going to fail on the cool-down walk home!

But I did it! And I did it with enough left to push myself that extra bit at the end, which was a really great feeling :D Now looking forward to the first 3-in-a-row next week. If I did it once, I can do it again!

9 Replies
oldest β€’ newest

Wow! Congratulations! You have definitely spurred me on for my W6R3!

To be honest, I was quite a bit more worried about this one than the 20 min last week.

But keep it slow and save any urge to push it until you can see the finish and you'll be absolutely fine :)

Thanks! I will keep that in mind!

AlMorr
AlMorrGraduate

Michael was correct, you are now OFFICIALLY a RUNNER by running run 3 of week 6, well done

Once you graduate and run a nice steady pace of 6.30km you could run a 5K in around a 32/33 minutes, any pace under 6km would be a sub 30 minute 5k

Onwards and upwards to week 7 πŸƒπŸΎ

The pace is kind of immaterial, except for my personal goal of passing a BFT for the first time in nearly 20 years! It's nice to know I can at least get in the ball-park but there's plenty of time for that - I've waited since 1993 (in fact, I think '92 - pretty sure I failed my last one :P ), a few more months won't hurt!

For now it's just fantastic to be getting the duration without panic setting in over my heart :)

AlMorr
AlMorrGraduate
in reply to Thatwasunexpected

πŸ‘

SweatyHettie
SweatyHettieGraduate

Well done! πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸƒπŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™‚οΈ

Very well done!

Well done you! Good luck for week 7.

You may also like...