Week 4 Run 3: Hi all! Hope you’re all keeping... - Couch to 5K

Couch to 5K
102,850 members132,482 posts

Week 4 Run 3

Running4fitness
Running4fitness

Hi all! Hope you’re all keeping well in the current events. I’m new here but have tried C25K a few times before with minimal progress, this is the first time I am really talking it seriously. I’ve just completed week 4 (somehow) but can’t seem to shake the calf fatigue which comes on pretty quickly after 3 mins of running and persists for the rest of the run.

I’m on the fence on whether I should proceed onto week 5 (knowing theres a 20 min run in there 😟) or to repeat week 4.

Any advice would be appreciated! As well as any tips on preventing/reducing the calf fatigue?

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Welcome, maybe your pace is too quick? Also are you drinking plenty of water each day? 😊

I’ll admit my hydration habits aren't the best 😂 I’ll try ramp it up & slow down my pace and see it it helps, thanks!

Fionamags
FionamagsGraduate

Have you looked through the pinned posts - there is some great advice there about stretches etc that might help. I think the links are in the one about starting to run. One of the admin team might come along and point you to the links. Also, like Dtay says - hydration is so important. Hydration, stretching and snail running are the mantras on here. Actually, if you haven't done already, google Japanese slow jogging/running on youtube - its an inspiration!

Just had a look at the japanese slow running! That tends to be how I end up running towards the end of the session 😂 but like others have mentioned I will try keep my pace slow & steady!! Thank you☺️

IannodaTruffe
IannodaTruffeAdministrator

Welcome to the forum and well done on your progress.

This guide to the plan is essential reading healthunlocked.com/couchto5...

and includes advice on minimising impact, stretching after every run, hydration and strengthening exercises, all of which will help.

Enjoy your journey.

Thank you for the link! So much useful information, I better get reading!

HappyNoodle
HappyNoodleGraduate

Well done you are nearly halfway through the program 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

You have done brilliantly to get this far! Try the initial runs and see how you feel after that.

I have done this program before but had to stop after I injured myself not stretching. This time I am doing the strength and flex alongside this and it’s much less painful. (12 week NHS fitness program) I wish I’d started this way last time. I think it’s the flex part it makes sure I don’t skip stretching which is as important as the running. There are warm up and stretching exercises on the website too. I do believe IannodaTruffe has provided all the links and you should definitely check them out. Good luck you’ve got this.

Thank you for your response! I’ve never heard of the strength & flex programme before so thanks for the heads up I’ll definitely try give it a go - really like that the exercises are tailored to total weaklings like myself haha! Something which has put me off conventional strength training 😂

HappyNoodle
HappyNoodleGraduate
in reply to Running4fitness

Fantastic! It really has helped me I love it!

Thanks for all the tips guys! I decided to give week 5 a shot, and managed to get through run 1 today - and somehow it even felt easier than week 4! 😁

You may also like...