Couch to 5K
73,729 members105,667 posts

Running without a rest day

Hi,

I am on w3r1 after restarting. I had to stop over the summer while the kids were off school.

It used to work well doing a run then having the recommended day off in between. Unfortunately I’ve got a new work pattern now so the only days I can run are Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. I’ve managed it so far but I do feel quite tired. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and how they’ve managed. Is it ok to do two runs together like that?

Thanks

9 Replies
oldestnewest

Can you run on a Sunday morning instead of a weds for example.

I'm not an expert but know that rest days are important.

Unfortunately not as I have my kids home and they’re too young to leave.

Thanks

1 like

It is not recommended. I like to cross train and had trouble fitting all my runs in. I have always trained (running) two days a week. I started that way because I was training for a triathlon. I have done three HM’s that way. I suggest you try and have two training days a week and fit in a third if you can but don’t stress if you can’t. Exercise routines that fit In With your own schedule always work best and for the longest, when you have to wiggle things around too much it is easy to get off track and then harder to keep with it. I would treat your third run as a bonus rather than a must a week, you are still off the couch and doing an exercise schedule that will beniefit you without injury.

3 likes

I love this idea thanks. Yes I think it’s the best advice along with the other suggestions as I don’t want to burn out. I’ll give this a go and hopefully get three in if possible some weeks.

1 like

Hi TeriCY, best to take rest days to be honest. You may be ok now but as the workload increases you run the risk of fatigue which often leads to injury which is the main reason people don't complete the programme. Rest days are when the muscles repair the tiny microtears you get from running. The repair is what makes you stronger in the long term. Two days a week is probably better than three without rest, just take you a little longer to reach your goal 😊

1 like

Thank you. Yes I think you’re right.

1 like

The advice at this stage of your running is you need those rest days between runs to repair and prepare. So if you can’t run at weekends just spread it over a longer time rather than a week. 🏃‍♀️👏 enjoy 😊

2 likes

Yes this is what I’ll have to do thanks.

1 like

You would be far better off just running on the Friday and just one of the other days. You could do some other form of non impact exercise on the rest day.

When you run you create microtears in your muscles, which repair and strengthen on your rest days, not while running. No rest, no repair, no strengthening and consequently an increased injury risk. New runners, even if fit, need the rest day.

It is all explained in the guide to the plan healthunlocked.com/couchto5...

2 likes

You may also like...