w1r2 done. : Second run done, and dare I say it... - Couch to 5K

Couch to 5K
82,834 members114,324 posts

w1r2 done.

Second run done, and dare I say it slightly (very very slightly) easier, I think in part b cause of wearing proper trainers and my new running socks! I have a couple of questions though which I’m hoping someone might be able to help with... on the walking bit I can’t go any slower than about 3.3km/h even with a 1%incline. And the running I do at 6km/h but on a couple of the segments I did a very fast walk - is this all ok? I would like to commit to regular days as I know that will be best for me, so I’m planning on Monday- Wednesday-Friday so that means the next two days off - is that ok?

I honestly can’t believe I’m doing this - or that I’m quite enjoying it. I haven’t done ANY sort of exercise for many years, have arthritis in my knees and am about 4 stone overweight so am chuffed with myself!

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Well done so far.

The walks should be brisk, and the runs comfortable. I found that the faster I walked, the easier the run was, stopped my calf muscles cooling and tightening. So no worries there.

Weeks are arbitrary, some run every other day, some do a calendar week like you suggest, for some a week is longer... the end result is the same... we just can’t skip rest days and run back to back days.

Be very proud of yourself and enjoy what I assume will be your Monday run.

1 like

Thankyou!

Hey Pickles1234! You are at exactly the same point as me!! I started on weds and do it very early in the morning before work at 4:45am when no one is in the gym yet to see my flab shaking looool. I too am a few stone overweight :-(

I do my walks surprisingly at 5.5 and light jogs at 7.0 with the 1% incline. I too have no idea what pace/incline is good but I am managing so will stick with that for now. I can really feel it in my thighs but feel that I need a decent pair of running trainers to get me going a bit better than I am. I sometimes do spin classes so am ok with my breathing.

Like yourself I am enjoying it and when it’s complete I’m like oh! I did it!!!! Don’t think I could do it without loud music in my ears though as I concentrate a lot on that.

Keep going, we will get there!!!!

1 like

Hi - good to meet someone in exactly the same place! In my first run I wore some new “fashion” trainers and ended up with blisters. Today I wore some trainers I bought a few years ago specifically for running (although I never actually did any.....!), and it made a huge difference. We will get there!

Yes I am wearing ‘fashion’ trainers lol and have ordered a new pair which I pick up tomorrow.

My only worry is as a nurse after a 13 hour day, if I have a day off the next day it’s my ‘run’ day I can easily be de-motivated and skip it.... that’s why I’ve come to this site to gets loads of motivation and keep me going!!!

I haven’t actually weighed myself either, I don’t want to get stuck on numbers, I just want to get fit. I’ve given up on diets, I will tryyyyyyy to eat more healthily lol

1 like

You run to suit your lifestyle.. at least one rest day between runs is essential but more if need be is fine. I usually run Sunday... Tuesday and Friday :)

I am assuming you are on a treadmill...so, just take it steady and the walks are brisk... the runs... just as long as you feel comfortable and are not struggling for breath you are doing fine!

1 like

I have a mental block against doing anything on a Sunday!!!! I may have to change my mindset if I can’t manage mon tues weds.

1 like

It is a lovely start to a day of rest..and often very peaceful...

1 like

Hmmmm, yes that is a very good idea

1 like

Well done !

1 like

You may also like...