I’m back! Beating the demons and restarting af... - Couch to 5K

Couch to 5K

115,302 members β€’ 146,947 posts

I’m back! Beating the demons and restarting after πŸ‘©πŸΌβ€πŸŽ“

Sadeskin
SadeskinGraduate
β€’11 Replies

Hello everybody. This forum was such a wonderful place for me last year while I completed C25K, without it I’m sure I wouldn’t have got to the end. I made friends and the admins were fantastic too (thank you!) C25K was something I didn’t think I’d be able to complete, running for that long or that far but it really does work and with the right mindset and support you can do anything. After graduating last December I carried on running 5K for around 6 weeks, I immediately found my childhood asthma to be a problem during the really cold months and would become unwell during a run. With hindsight where I went wrong was keeping my focus on running a full 5K each time, if I had shortened it I perhaps could have maintained my fitness and running and slowly increased my distance as the weather got warmer. Instead I struggled, pushed myself and eventually stopped (letting it go unknowingly really). Running was always for my mind, my mental health. I suffer with anxiety with a full on stressful job too - my mind can be my biggest enemy (prob why it tortured me for not maintaining the full 5K). Running was so wonderful for these demons, it also provided precious β€˜me’ time which I get so little of. I work with children and I have children and I very seldom come up for air. When running I have a great time with my thoughts and music - like medicine

Anyways enough of my essay but basically it’s taken a long time but I’ve finally got back out there and completed a few runs. I’m currently on W2, next run will be R3. If there are any old friends out there I’d love to hear how you’re getting on and hello to all currently completing the programme. It really works!

Thank you for reading. I had to push myself to write all about me!

Happy running

Sadie πŸ˜πŸƒπŸΌβ€β™€οΈ

11 Replies
β€’
Sadie-runs
Sadie-runsGraduate

This is great news and a lovely post! So happy you are back at it again. You know the drill. 😁 I wouldn’t hesitate to do it all over again, if I needed. Such a great manageable programme. Hope running again helps with your anxiety and yay! You got your β€œYou” time back again. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Fellow Sadie xxx

Sadeskin
SadeskinGraduate in reply to Sadie-runs

Thank you for being such an inspiring and lovely person Sadie! So proud of you and your achievements. Your words gave me the kick to get back out there, this support stuff is magic, eh? Xx

Hidden
Hidden

Welcome back! I always find it difficult with a little one to fit in the running. Usually go at 5am before work. I think people can get hooked on the idea that they have to run longer and longer distances instead of just going out and enjoying it and realising you are keeping healthy and getting healthier.

The support on here is great I have to agree!

Happy running

Sadeskin
SadeskinGraduate in reply to Hidden

You’re so right, if I could have just even gone out for a mile I would have been able to build back up to 5K easily - just enjoying running. But I’d spent 3 months training for 5K and when I couldn’t do it somehow my mind told me I was a failure. I always felt a fraud even when running 5K 3 times each week. I’ve learnt from it, most definitely. Any run is an achievement and something to be proud of and enjoy.

I could never go out at 5am, be great if so. Well done for fitting it in 😁

Hidden
Hidden in reply to Sadeskin

3 x5k a week is good. But as I was previously doing little exercise at all then any running I do must surely be helpful. I know a lot of folk in here go on to do the 10k run. But it doesn’t have to be about looking for the next thing. The idea of the c25k is just to get people up of their butts, get out there and exercise. Which is what it has succeeded (more or less) for me.

Tasha99
Tasha99Graduate

Good luck! You’ll go it again I’m sure. I got a turbohaler which is stronger than the others. 2 puffs before running, although my asthma was only mild and has gone now since running.

Sadeskin
SadeskinGraduate in reply to Tasha99

Oh that’s interesting thank you for your advice. I may speak to my GP πŸ‘πŸ» Glad yours has cleared up. Happy running!

Slow_Rob
Slow_RobGraduate

Welcome back and well done on getting back out there .. You know what to expect and how it all feels.you will have no trouble getting to your 2nd graduation πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Enjoy your new journey 😁😁

Sadeskin
SadeskinGraduate in reply to Slow_Rob

Aw - thank you πŸ‘πŸ»

Go Sadeskin! Welcome back from a new graduate; your wise words of experience are very helpful. I am sure that you will enjoy coming back to running, and that it will continue to be fun and relaxing xxxx

Sadeskin
SadeskinGraduate in reply to Languid_Lil

Thank you so much and WELL DONE on graduating! Happy running x πŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

You may also like...