Couch to 5K
57,139 members89,662 posts

Off for gait analysis - updated

Off for gait analysis - updated

Heading into Manchester in my running shoes and shorts. Feel like a right lemon.

Update: So...very nice young man in the store. Asked me about my running. Asked me to take my shoes off and looked at my arches. Asked me to walk away from him bearfoot. Said I looked neutral with a very slight roll on my left foot.

Treadmill was umm interesting as I couldn’t stop it. Video shows my feet move around but land flat and my ankles are upright. Neutral it is “but you’ll find you wear out the outer part of the soles first”.

Tried on 3 pairs of shoes - an Asics and two Brooks. Asics were quite solid upper, both Brooks were comfy. I chose between them based on colour and price - these ones were £110 “on offer from £135”, the others £120 so nothing really in it. Compared to my £15 starter shoes...

He even wished me well on my Parkrun as I left. 10/10 for a shopping experience - he knew what he was doing, he was friendly yet polite, made me feel at home in an alien place. Neil at Up and Running, Deansgate, Manchester.

Key detail missed: Brooks Glycerine 15 in blue, lime and silver.

43 Replies
oldestnewest

Go smash that park run now!!! 😬💪🏼

1 like

Ta. I suddenly feel worthy!

1 like

Booooootiful!

1 like

Very nice 😙

1 like

Oooo they look great! I'm glad your shopping experience was a good one x

1 like

I like that "choking" has come up as a tag for this post. That must have been the price. :)

2 likes

I’m on a phone so can’t see that! 🤣

It was actually about £30 less than I feared and a joint graduation and early birthday present to myself.

3 likes

It's not just me that laughs at this forum's rather random choice of tags then!!

2 likes

Hey Jay! Brilliant! Well it was me who recommended Deansgate U&R and I had a similar great experience. Sounds like the same guy. And guess what - I ended up with the same shoes!! They were the comfiest by a mile. I honestly don’t want to take them off when I get back from a run!

Hope they add a spring to your step in your post-grad runs! Good luck 🏃‍♂️

2 likes

Thanks, Cazza - thanks for the advice.

To say I was daunted/dreading it is an understatement but it was such a chilled experience (despite the sweat of the treadmill in a cotton t-shirt!). Makes me look forward to the Parkrun even more if this is what runners are like.

Yes, I felt a total pratt on the treadmill as I didn’t really know what I was doing, but it was fine once I got going and he was indeed very chilled!

Good luck with the Parkrun. I’m doing a Sunday 5K locally with my daughter - like a parkrun but on a smaller scale and only 10 mins from home. So I’ll see how that goes.... quite nervous!! 😬

1 like

Good luck!

1 like

Beautiful shoes! It’s all about the colour!! 👍👍👍

1 like

Ps when’s the park run??

Lyme Park in Cheshire. I hear there is a significant hill 😱🤣

Misread that, sorry. It’s Saturday morning.

Good luck! Building up to it in a few weeks!

1 like

Lots of people do it during their 9 weeks.

I’m just a wuss and knew I would have anxiety/imposter syndrome if I’d turned up any earlier. Don’t wait was the advice everyone gave.

There are a few slopes round here, but a distinct lack of hills! So good luck with it.

1 like

I might have to try this one when I have my Saturday mornings free again!

1 like

Hey lovely go-faster trainers! You'll smash that parkrun, I'm sure :)

1 like

Wow they’re lovely Jay. The go faster stripes will be a real bonus on your park run!

So happy it was a good experience overall . I’m laughing “with” you but haven’t got the guts to go myself!!

One day .

😘

1 like

It’s one of those things I’ve foolishly dreaded, like so many in my life. Do it!

2 likes

They look smashing!

Enjoy clocking up some km's in them...

Happy running Jay 😊x

Great post showing your positive experience of gait analysis at a professional running shop.x

1 like

It couldn’t have been more pleasant. Unless they did beer with it.

2 likes

Very classy ja 😉

Is this the new price we have to pay for our running shoes though oh my 😳I best start saving 😊

You'll kill park run with these lovely s 😉

1 like

I’m sure there are shoes for all budgets - this is a big luxury for me as a reward and birthday pressie. My first pair were £15 Decathlon specials and there is no reason I couldn’t continue in them.

And you totally deserve your reward after all this hard work 👏👏👏😊🏃

1 like

Beautiful! Hope you run well in them!

1 like

You’ve misspelled “slowly” 🤣🤣

Ha ha ha ha ha !😂

1 like

Fancy!!

Good luck!

1 like

Thank you!

My wife got me a pair of brooks on wk 2 and they are absolutely amazingly comfy. Like walking on a cloud. I’ve never had a gait analysis but she must have been lucky as I havnt had any shin splints or other problems some folk have apart from stiff leg muscles the day after . You’ll love them, no breaking in required

1 like

The guy in the shop said “they don’t need breaking in but wear them around the house a bit to get used to the feel”.

Seems I need breaking in!!

😁 definitely the ol pins need a few lengths round the house never mind the shoes

Mine I mean not yours!

1 like

Loving the new shoes. I plan to treat myself to some new shoes as a post grad and early birthday treat too.

1 like

Thanks! Wore them all afternoon as slippers cos, you know, stuff.

Very nice. Grown up runner shoes!! X

1 like

🤣

Nice runners!

1 like

You deserve these Jay!! 🏅

1 like

You may also like...