Couch to 5K
54,687 members87,181 posts

Horrendous wk 7 run 2

Oh jeez, it was just awful today. Has anyone else had a really shit run at some point? This one was possibly the worst for me. It was pretty much 25 minutes of me trying to keep going despite my entire body wanting me to stop.

My legs weren’t tired, it was my stomach. I seemed to have two stitches at the same time (that’s what it felt like) and I felt nearly ill from thirst. I think I must have been dehydrated, I know I didn’t drink as much water as I usually do today.

Anyway, the only good thing I can say about it is that I didn’t stop. I definitely went quite a lot slower, because my 25 minutes were up before I had finished my usual route and I walked for several minutes extra to get home. I hope run 3 is better.

39 Replies
oldestnewest

Well done to get through it ...You did it that's the main thing ,😊

1 like

Thanks! That is true! :)

Yes I’ve had bad runs. Well done for fighting through to the end. Water has a huge impact on my runs. I hope the next run goes better for you.

1 like

Thanks. Interesting to hear what you say about water. I really must make sure I drink more the day of my next run, see if that helps.

1 like

It will. I still end up not drinking enough or being up all night flushing it away.

1 like

Hehe! There must be a happy medium to be found in there somewhere!

1 like

I struggled a lot with all of the W7 runs for some reason, still unknown as to why. W8 got a lot better.

You still did it so well done! Keep smiling, just a sh.. run, next one will be different :)

2 likes

Oh I’m glad to hear you found the week after better! Fingers crossed I feel the same!

1 like

So glad to hear that as I'm slogging through W7 too! Just painful. No matter how excited I am or motivated to go, it's a real trial. Only R3 to go, which is planned for Sat. Thanks for offering some hope to us poor sods!

1 like

Argh, it is a total slog isn’t it! I’m thinking r3 for Sat or Sun. Ufff.

1 like

Good luck for Sat. Slogging describes W7 perfectly for me. It truly gets better :)

2 likes

Thanks for giving us hope Lorijay

1 like

Oh lovey, I found week 7 intolerable...couldn't bear it! It took new podcasts and an even slower gear for me to get through. The good news is that you did get through. Onwards and upwards!! 👍👍👍

2 likes

Thanks, I think new music and slower pace might work next run out. The only thing that kept me going was the thought that I didn’t want to have to repeat it! 😅

2 likes

Amen to that!

2 likes

The good news is, you're not in that boat alone! Week 7 has been a bit of a slog for us. Totally motivated but fear we've possibly gone off too quickly to get it over with. You don't need to point out the obvious, that a timed run is not going to be over any quicker by running faster 😆 Just hoping this is a bit of a plateau. Must say, none of this has put me off, still look forward to each and every run no matter how tough the one before was.

2 likes

Weirdly, I do feel I will finish quicker if I up the pace. Or rather, I was worried yesterday that I would never finish becuase I was going slower than usual 😂 The brain makes no sense sometimes. Like you I am not put off, let’s hope wk8 goes better!

1 like

I did w7 R2 yesterday and drov

e the route afterwards. Only 2.5k. I really am very slow! Trying to balance the clear progress I'm making with needing to get round a 5k Race for life in 4 weeks time. Any tips?

1 like

Try not to worry about it - it’s not about speed, and I don’t think Race for Life is about speed either - finishing 5k is the goal, however long it takes, right? Having said that, if you do want to go a bit faster, my tips would be psych yourself up for it while you’re changing into your running gear, and also have good music while you run. Plus, make sure you drink enough water the day before. Today, I blasted Pink “Get the party started” as I changed, as though I was going for a night out back in my old student days :D I had also downloaded a set of new songs with good beats to my phone beforehand. I checked the beat of the songs before downloading them as the worst thing for me is to hit a slower paced song as that slows my feet right down too.

1 like

Sounds like many of my runs- I’m not very good at drinking enough water- main thing is you kept going so well done 👍

2 likes

Thanks! I think I do need to improve water intake!

2 likes

I'm thinking the same now. Def didn't have enough water in the lead up to W7R2.

2 likes

Yep I'm finding the week 7 runs a lot more challenging, but i guess that's point

I did my w7r2 this morning and for the first 15 minutes was ready to throw in the towel, but just dug deeper and managed to get to the end still with more left in the tank. It definately seems to be the biggest mental challenge so far.

Well done for getting throuth such a tough run.

Let's hope next week goes better.

2 likes

Thanks! Well done for doing yours this morning too! Let’s hope wk 8 is better right?! ;)

Well done for keeping going! I had a bad run last week. It happens. Onwards and upwards!! 😉

1 like

Thanks! Sorry to hear about your rubbish run too - I hope this week is going better for you! Indeed, on to better runs ;)

Yep! W7 was my pet hate!

Brain: Wot?! No walking breaks??!! I wanna stop!

Legs: Keep going, keep going, plod, plod.

By W8 my brain had caught up with my legs & all was well. 😄

Huge well done for seeing it through. Plenty of water might make all the difference. 😀

3 likes

Thank you! I see you’re a graduate, so it is possible to have a crap wk7 and still keep going :D Well done! Yes, lots and lots of water!!!

2 likes

It's lots of water a day before, not on the day before the run.

On the day when l ran half marathon l drank a glass of water before and some sips towards the end. However, a day before l drank approx 3 litres, which should be your daily allowance. More, if you can.

If you drink lots before the actual run, you will feel even worse than what you've described. And yes, for various reasons there will be bad runs along the way but the idea is to minimise that number.

3 likes

Thanks, that’s very handy to know!

I’ve just finished W7 and have really struggled with 2nd & 3rd runs -so slow it was barely a run- much harder than previous few weeks. No idea why as conditions were perfect- might leave a few days before trying W8

1 like

I found run 3 hard as well. Not as bad as run 2 thankfully, but still no fun. Maybe take an extra rest day before you take on wk8, that might help.

I’ve just got back from W7R2 and was going to post that I always seem to struggle on the R2 each week. I think my enthusiasm gets me through R1 - and then brain takes over R2 - today was very much”what, no walking”. And then I did walk 😏. Also I went later than normal and it’s already very hot. Fingers crossed Monday is better.

But hey, we’re all getting there!

1 like

I think enthusiasm has a lot to do with run 1 going better! Fingers crossed for wk8! And yes, running in hot weather is harder!

Yes, you did it despite the pain, that's so good. I didn't like wk6 run 3, felt very leaden, but not pain. Run 1 of wk 7 was ok, have to wait and see the rest. Would seem that all of us experience bad runs at some stage, guess just have forget it and move on the next one. Good luck.

many people seem to agree on here. week 7 wasn’t great for me either (neither was week 6) but week 8 has been the complete opposite and I’m heading into week 9 with renewed optimism. With a change in route, listening to some new podcasts and my body probably adjusting more, things have started to click- hope it is the same for you.

1 like

Week 8 so far is going well, thanks! Glad yours is too! Hurray! Keep it up! :)

1 like

I had a totally hard run today, w8 r 3 didn’t complete and felt so disappointed, but know dehydration and tiredness is a factor, I felt ill too. I think we have to factor in the bad ones with the good ones 👍🏻🏃‍♀️

Owww poo, sorry to hear that :( Dehydration is a problem. Drink plenty in your rest day, and just chalk it up to experience. We all have rubbish runs. Just in different weeks I guess.

You may also like...