Couch to 5K
52,612 members84,698 posts

Calling all Week 5ers!!

Allo poppets!

There are few of us who are about to, or have recently, started W5. Current names in the frame are:

Donna79

Chrisj31

_SimonT_

Donna is blitzing her way through this. Chris, Simon and I are standing on the starting line, adjusting our shorts and looking nervous.

DaveB46 is nearly done, but we like him and he needs friends to atone for his frankly bizarre musical tastes.

We're not asking for sponsorship, but it would be good to pull together this week to get us all over the minor hillock called W5R3.

No need to do anything apart from maybe say "Hi" and hit the "Follow" button a few times.

The more the merrier. Think of it as a splinter support community. Some laughs, war stories and virtual beers/cakes. We are going to pull together and crack this wide open.

We can do this :-) Playlists at the ready.

Ready, steady, snail!!

Update: More buddies coming onboard the W5 train, too many to "@ mention" now.

We are going to storm through this!!

357 Replies
oldestnewest

Paul_Gibbs is in too. Sorry Paul. Forgot to add you!!

I'm over here cheering you all on - good luck guys :-)

1 like

I have w5r3 to tackle on Sunday and to be honest I am sitting here thinking I won’t be able to do that but I will try. I jog at 3.7mph on my treadmill on an incline 1. I keep thinking I should be going faster but can’t. Does anyone jog on their treadmill? Thanks

5 likes

Both Jo-Jo-K and Simon are indoor mice. You're not on your own!!

1 like

Don’t worry about your speed. It’s really not important. You CAN do it! All the lead up runs prepare you. Just take it steady, maybe even steadier than you are already. especially for the first 10 mins. And drink lots the day before so you don’t get heavy legs. And prepare to feel fab all day afterwards!

6 likes

Thanks, I am getting a bit hung up on my speed.

2 likes

I’m guilty of it too. It’s hard not to be. But it’s counterproductive to go too fast and then not complete runs. Slow and steady to build up your minutes. More speed comes later. It’s a marathon, not a sprint!

3 likes

Hi Dawn I too jog on the treadmill at a speed of 4.2 for my run and 3.5 for my brisk walk, no incline for me though. I'm wondering if 4.2 is a bit fast now, no wonder I'm so knackered! I think I will try and run at a slower pace for W5R3 as I don't think I'm going to make it otherwise. I'm tackling W5R2 today, absolutely dreading run 3.

Do you find the treadmill a bit boring? I do but I don't feel ready to run outside just yet.

I don't suppose it matters where we run or how fast we go, as long as we're running! Good luck, you can do it! X

4 likes

You'll do it too! It never occurred to me that a treadmill can make it harder because you worry about the fixed speed. Turn it down a few notches to start with. You can always turn it up towards the end if you've got enough in the tank.

Keep going and don't fall off the end!!

4 likes

On the treadmill I do 4.1 run and 2.9 walk 😀

4 likes

Thanks, I’ll let you know how I get on tomorrow. Slow and steady! Xx

2 likes

Care for and feed that inner snail... :-)

1 like

Hi there, this morning Saturday 19th May I'll be doing week 5 round 2, the 8 minute run, 5 walk, 8 run, then on Monday 21st May, the big one, travelling by bus to Linlithgow 20 miles from where I live and running around or part of Linlithgow Loch that 20 minute run, best of luck to all doing w5r3.

7 likes

Wow! Sounds amazing! Good luck. 😀

Wowsa. Beautiful part of the world!! You'll smash it. Have a treacle scone for us!!

I'm on W6 now but doing it all on the treadmill. You'll be fine doing R3 honestly- it's the best. Everything you've done up til now has prepared you for this. You are doing the right thing in going slow & steady. You got this. Good luck.

3 likes

Hi Dawn, I did a mix of treadmill and outside. I find the treadmill easier on my knees at the beginning. I confess I didn’t use an incline as Southsea is flat . Good luck on Sunday and remember you love running 🏃‍♀️

2 likes

And that running loves Dawn208 back!!

2 likes

I'm doing wk5 r3 on Sunday too - not on a treadmill but by the sea 🙂. Can't run on a treadmill, my balance goes 🙃. Good luck with it.

Thanks, you too 😀

Finished Week 4 today.....

I am going to trust that this system is tried and trusted, and Run 3 will be a piece of cake, mmm, hope so anyway!

4 likes

Well done Paul. And we all love cake, so bring it on!!

If you post anything, mark it with a Topic of Week 5 and then we can keep track... This is going to be a great week!!

2 likes

Im starting my w5 run1 on sunday

Outdoors on dodgy pavements whilst trying to look cool when I see 'proper' runners

Good luck everyone👍😀

10 likes

I'll just try not to fall over hon!!

1 like

Me to!!!!. Found W4 tough to begin with but I did complete it. Not sure what to expect tomorrow. Great to know that there are lots of us out there facing the same challenge.

2 likes

We're going to dismantle that W5 wall between us brick by brick. Everyone's invited and everyone will succeed!!

3 likes

Good luck Jo-Jo you'll be fine, let us all know how it goes.

I'm doing mine on Monday and already panicking 😃

2 likes

‘Donna is blitzing...’ Christmas gags in May!? C’mon...😃

5 likes

I didn't even notice that. Which is spooky. And sad. Must try harder!!

Best wishes to you all.

I want you all to find my reply to Cari-can-run “About to start W5” and have a read of the heart-rate argument for why W5r3 is not as bad as you think.

2 likes

Gotcha Mark. Absolutely. Spot on. I don't think we'll whip ourselves into a frenzy of anxiety on this. It's a huge psychological milestone, but from a purely physical (leg resilience/aerobic capacity) perspective we can all nail this easily if we take it at a nice slow pace to start with.

Keep the faith, drink the Kool Aid, listen to Mark everyone. He a wise dude...

5 likes

He really is:)

1 like

I still have w5r3 to do...count me in!!

3 likes

You're in. And almost done hon!!

I still got R3 to do - today was full on shaking, sweating and liquid sinuses!

Hoping all the nurofen & day nurse kick in tomorrow and I can get it in the bag!

For now - i’d settle for a good nights sleep!

2 likes

Aww.. Hope it clears quickly. And if you're under the weather, take more rest days. W5 doesn't feel like one to do if you're under par.

2 likes

Oh dear! Sorry about that. You can’t plan for illnesses and they are annoying coz they hold you back. However you should get better before you carry on. Look after yourself! 🤧

1 like

Cheers guys - it’s not happening today either. I can barely get my breath after walking upstairs!

The wife says I have a chest infection and has threatened all sorts of unpleasantness if even put my running on and think about it!

Dosed up to my eyeballs and wracked by coughing fits - I can sort of see her point! I’m now thinking that I’ll try R2 again (2 x 8 min) as a first run back before attempting a 20 minute block.

I’ll keep you posted but will be at least Monday or Tuesday (a week after R2) before I’m out again. But will be with you in spirit and following you all with avid (sleepy) interest!

Good luck everyone and thanks to @sallenson for setting up the group - I’m still planning on finishing week 5 with you after my little break!

1 like

Your wife sounds stern but spot on. If you run with a bad cold or a chest cold your heart rate will go off the chart. Better to hunker down under the duvet for a while, let Mrs Lizaard peel grapes for you, drink masses of water and wait till you're chipper again.

The run will still be there and you can pick up exactly where you left off. You'll be hungry for that run by then too.

Get better soon!!

2 likes

Cheers mate - I’ll sit back and watch (read) about you lot! 👍🤧😷🤢

Thanks for the thought sallenson and to everyone else with their messages of support. I wish you all well with your runs!!! 🙂

1 like

I’m also on W5. Completed my first run yesterday and now I can’t sleep as my legs ache 🙃Doubt I’ll can manage run 3 but will give it my best.

3 likes

R3? You can and you will!!

2 likes

DeeRunning has just done W5R3 in Hong Kong in ridiculous heat. And worse shorts. She deserves a big cheer and hug. A role model for us in everything except possible running gear. Give her a big cheer and hug.

8 likes

You know that is simply inviting me to post photographs of my sartorial choices 💃

Thanks for the shout out. Gutted in not invited to this party 😕

3 likes

Gotta see the shorts now! Well done in moving forward, it can't have been easy in that heat. More importantly, where is the pic of you in that beautiful backdrop??? I'm also a little miffed to miss the party - W6R3 today, maybe - surviving on 5 hours sleep today... Enjoy the rest of your trip. Here's your cheer as requested by Sallenson...🤗🙌👏👏👏🏃‍♀️💨

1 like

Thank you Sutsha ! Haha we'll see about the shorts! The HK pic is still somewhere in one of my posts.

1 like

You're a guest of honour DeeRunning

Always invited to any party we throw!! :-)

Bring noodles!!

2 likes

Noodles. And durian, if you're lucky

1 like

Mmm. The smell of Death.... :-)

1 like

Pungent, yet fruity

Whoop whoop! Go Dee! 🎉🎊

1 like

Big woo to Dee - awesome in that heat - I decamped to the hotel machine in Singapore (lightweight that I am)...

2 likes

Lightweight but wise. And lovely :-)

First W5 run coming up on Monday need to get through the wedding celebrations today and recover tomorrow first !!!!

2 likes

Brilliant Amanda. A few of us will have done R1 over the weekend, so any top tips will be coming your way!!

1 like

Skelly81 is gearing up for W5R3 with a fantastic positive attitude. Give her a big cheer team!!

6 likes

🤗👏

1 like

👊👏💪

I've had to put off starting Week 5 because I'm in Japan and it's been far too hot (not something I usually complain about). Feeling a little nervous, but am also feel amazed at how I have gone from nothing to this with hardly any problem. I'm hoping for a spot of rain tonight and a drop in temperature so that I can attack Week 5. Good luck all!

4 likes

Hello from a sunny and cool England. Good luck with the weather and keep us all posted on your weather and your success!!

2 likes

Hello there! W5 run 1 done. How are runs 2 and 3? Do they really challenge? Half nervous and half excited😊

Well done on this post!!

Reminds me of our wonderful McFitty who had a team together all heading for the Graduation podium.. and what a party that was!!!!

Go, go go.. all of you... you do NOT need luck.. all you need is yourselves and the knowledge that you can and WILL do this...looking forward to more of your posts!!!!

6 likes

Lovely lady you are. No luck here. We're ready. We're more than able. We'll take it slow and steady. We'll all help each other to celebrate the good times and help each other through. Onwards and upwards to that podium and the cakes!! :-)

3 likes

... errrr... and the champagne... I have to have the bubbly... ( several crates already on order:))

3 likes

Now you're talking!! :-)

1 like

Im in for the champers please 🏃🏻‍♀️🏃🏻!

Oh here we go. Back Office staff who always turn up for the drinks at the end LMFAO :-)

Fairs fair, I volunteer my forum time, you provide the drinks, LMTAO 😎

1 like

Morning sallenson. I have my W4 run 3 today and am already thinking about W5. It seems a big step but I’m sure like all of you out there, I will do it too. Happy jogging 🏃‍♀️ xxx

2 likes

Carol just follow along in our draft. We'll smash it and if we can you can too!!

1 like

_SimonT_ did his W4R3 today (to some awful clubbing soundtrack - youths eh?) so you're in the right place at the right time. See you early next for W5!!

1 like

Hello All. Very very very good luck to all of you for W5R3, and just wanted to say, mind over matter, you’ve all got this :). I hope this gives you all a little boost ... W5R3 was my worst in terms of achy quads. I thought I would have to delay W6, but somehow battled through it. By the end of W6, you’ll be absolutely smashing it! I only graduated 8 days ago, and for my first post grad running week, I decided I would do 2 x runs, both W5R3, but would try to pick up the pace a bit. It’s been a great week, and yesterday morning at 6am, I was running along the sea wall in total peace. Unfortunately, should’ve gone to Specsavers, as I set my Fitbit to ‘workout’ instead of ‘run’! So no stats :(. But probably not a bad thing, because I just felt good. When my 20mins were up, I didn’t want to stop running, so carried on for another 5 mins before a 6min cool down walking back home. Set me up nicely for a busy day at work :). Look forward too seeing all of you complete W5R3 :) :) xx

4 likes

We're all going to get there in style!!

Fantastic Shazza! I’m really looking forward to being where you are in your running! 😀

I’m about to do w5r3, I’m not looking forward to it

1 like

As Oldfloss tells us - SLOW and STEADY. Embrace your inner snail. We're all rooting for you. You so can do this. I'm off to recce my route in a few minutes. Work out where the hilly bits are going to be. I want to set this week up for success for me and all of us.

Let us know how great you feel when you've finished R3!!

2 likes

Embrace your inner snail - love it!

1 like

That phrase defo has a ring to it, even if I say so myself. Another legacy of the best W5 group in human history!!

1 like

Hi! How are you doing? Have you done it yet or still to go? Don’t know whether to say good luck or congrats!

Hiya, no I haven’t..... should have done it today, so def will do it tomorrow. Have you done it yet

1 like

Simon and I havent done R1 yet so your wisdom is going to get us through.

You'll nail its little fluffy head to the wall!!

In that case All the best for tomorrow! I’m sure you can crack it! 😀 like Stephen says we’re not there yet so will take all the advice you can offer!

Hi - starting week 5 - surprised and pleased I’ve got this far!

1 like

Good for you!! We're not surprised - you're a runner!! Let's smash W5 together!!

Good luck guys, it’s not as tough as you think, you’ll all ALL do this....happy running 🏃‍♀️🏃🏃‍♀️🏃🏃‍♀️🏃🏃‍♀️🏃😎

1 like

You can do it 👌🏻🏃🏻‍♀️ I have just done week5 run 3 and I really didn’t think I’d be able to, but I did. The plan is amazing, believe in yourselves 😃

3 likes

Great! Well done! And thank you. Wk 5 starts for me on Monday. 😀

1 like

Fantastic result. We're following the plan, believe in ourselves and committed to each other. Best of all possible worlds :-)

1 like

I did week 5 run 1 yesterday. That felt hard enough. My first run without my 9 yr old. I think I ran a bit fast without her constant chatter( mainly about a stitch) to listen to. Run 3 is looming like a black cloud

2 likes

Hey Rach. Clouds have silver linings okay? Slow it down, embrace the inner snail and join the party. We're all going to do this and do it together.!!

1 like

I'm gearing up for Wk5 r3 on Monday. Did run 2 yesterday and was really buzzing afterwards - can't believe I can run for 8 mins solid! 20 mins seems like a big jump but I'm going to take a couple of days rest over the weekend and attack r3 (hopefully!) Monday evening. Good luck everyone!!

1 like

U too!! Welcome to the miniteam. We've got people running all over the place!! Monday evening we'll bring pies!!

W5R3 for me today....... wish me luck!

1 like

You're running into glory babe!! You're going to do this!!

Good luck to all! I’m doing the dreaded W5R3 tomorrow evening eek!!! But I can honestly say that R1 & R2 were surprisingly better than I thought. So slow and steady pace and you’ll all get to Week 6.

Please keep posting as I’ll be supporting you all 👍

5 likes

Fantastic news. R1 nd R2 are easy. We've heard it from the team. What more do we need? The inner snail - slow and steady. Big call out for you tomorrow evening with R3!!

I’m on week 5 too! Run 3 possibly today.

2 likes

Yay!!

I love it. Thank you Sallenson. We're all going to smash it.

3 likes

We so are Donna!! x

Hello! I’m on week 5 too! Run 2 tomorrow 😀😬

3 likes

Yay week 5. On my way for R2 any minute now!😃 🏃‍♀️

1 like

You'll have smashed it by now! How did it go?

Run was good. I now own some lovely trainers ready for w5r3 on Tuesday!!

1 like

Woop woop! You do know the forum etiquette for new trainers? Get a pic of them uploaded!! Well done for bagging W5R2. 🏃‍♀️💨

1 like

I would, but don’t know how!

1 like

As long as they're comfy that's good enough for us! You are going to ride out this week as the best dressed winner of the lot!! Tuesday is going to be a big R3 day for lots of us here. I want to be deafened by the cheering!!

1 like

And Katie's over the line in style and beaming!!

1 like

And so proud of herself, she’s only gone out to buy proper trainers! No more hand me downs - woohoo!

1 like

Towards the end of the runs, if I feel like I cannot possibly make it until the end I just think in 15 second slots! So, if I'm on the last run and I have 3 minutes to go which is usually the breaking point, I just think "well if I make it through the next 15 seconds it's nearly only 2.5 minutes left!" Then the next 15 seconds go and I only have to run for 2.5 minutes. Really helps me as I get excited that I'm nearly done 😂

2 likes

I look for trees or gates or objects. Pick one. Run to it. Pick another, run to it. Break it into bits. Eat the elephant in small pieces. Terrific way to think about it Mag

I start mine on Monday. Not looking forward to run3. These 53 year old legs have never run for that long since I was probably 3. Never ran at school, always that last person you chose for your team with me stood there quivering and my thunder thighs rubbing together. Wishing me and the rest of us first time runners best of luck x

4 likes

That description is so me! 😂

1 like

We're all going to get there. We're all going to do this. We're all runners now!!

No need to worry about being picked for this team! Everyone is the first pick! 🥇

2 likes

I'm in too. I've stalled at W4R3 for nearly two weeks for a variety of reasons, but you've all inspired me to get back on board. I'm thinking of repeating W4R3 tomorrow and joining you all on W5 next week.

You can do it everyone!

3 likes

You can do it RosaBudd. Just listen to the mantra- ‘slow, slow, slow slow slow’😀

Yay. C'mon Rosa! Join the party. Listen to your inner snail. We're all behind you and there's cake for all at the end!! :-)

just the lift I needed 😂😂😂Slowly eating weetabix desperately trying to delay the inevitable march of time, as W5R3 approaches. T minus 50 minutes. Sorting playlist. Prevaricating. Going through the 7 stages also. Up to bargaining.

Right. Time to check the gear and playlist.

Ok...Maiden,Metallica, Dio, Slipknot...it’s your job to get me round! Slipped a bit of Zep in too.

Arrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhh

See y’all on the other side 😆😆

4 likes

C'mon everyone. Let's give DaveB46 a big hug and a cheer and send him off into glory!!!

2 likes

The threat of hugs will get me round faster 😂😂

3 likes

Just f*in run then you weirdo!! * unobtrusive hug *

Go for it big boy!!

1 like

Thanks for the playlist shout! Always good to know. Think we should start a separate thread just for playlists! 😅

I found myself inadvertantly trapped in a Boy Band playlist post on here the other day and couldn't find the exit.... Real Men don't do Techno. Or maybe just a bit. I do remember seeing the awesome Chemical Brothers set at Glasto tho.

Oh shuddup Stephen, no-one cares any more. They're all running!!

1 like

I missed some of these replies earlier! I saw that set too but only on tv. It was awesome!

You da man! 🤩

Ooooh W5R3 😱 feeling the fear. 9 weeks ago all I could manage was 30 secs of running and today I’m about to attempt 20 mins!!! 🏃🏼‍♀️

Apparently I can do this 🤞top tips welcomed. Loving this forum 👍

4 likes

Course you can!! And will!!

Remember Mark Twain: Courage is not the absence of fear, it's the mastery of fear.

You're going to astonish yourself :-)

I’m (back) on week 5 too, did run 1 last night... remember this week from last time!!!! Go for it everyone, you’ll do brilliant - just don’t stop! X

2 likes

AKAME loved W5 so much she's doing it twice. Go team!! Keep believing and embrace that inner snail!! :-)

1 like

Too many buddies now to do "@mentions" for everyone. But you're all loved and supported. Don't hug DaveB46 tho - it's an allergy thing brought on by Weetabix.

Post here to let us all know how we're doing team!!

I've done a recce of my route for the week, playlist sorted, just waiting for that bell to go off tomorrow and gonna chase this into glory.

Go buddies!!

2 likes

@sallenson - what have you started, some people will have to be piggy backed bcos we cant all fit on the start line :D haha

I'm going to go do w5r1 tomorrow also. I think I may let my feet dictate the route...I'll send a distress flare if I need a piggy back to the finish line :D

3 likes

There's a fair tsunami of warmth and support around this now. Brilliant. We're both up for glory tomorrow Chris. Just bring it on and let it happen!!

1 like

I did C25k week 4 run 3 yesterday. Bit terrified of week 5. I also find it better to run with others who keep nagging me to keep going as I fight my self belief that I can keep going. I'm away from Wednesday so will be running alone for the first time on week 5. Maybe not great timing!! Tempted to repeat week 4 or at least week 5 run 1 till the 5 min stints feel a bit more manageable!

2 likes

C'mon and join us and have some fun. Big enthusiastic and committed bandwagon now. We'll all help you round!! :-)

Deffo up for that! Do you mean this thread?

2 likes

Yup. Come in and feel the love :-)

Going to be starting week 5 run 1 on Monday with some fear and trepidation- have a patellar tracking problem which isn't helping. On the mouse treadwheel in a gymn that at least overlooks some woodland near Chantilly , France. It'll be sweaty, ungraceful and downright ugly to watch, but as a 53 year old Lyme's disease sufferer I'm proud I've got this far and makes all the huffing and puffing worth it. All your posts inspire me- keep them up : )

4 likes

Go for it Gail. Ditch the fear and embrace the happy inner snail. We're all going to crack this. We're all winners now. :-)

W1R3 done! Cheering all you week fivers on!! 👏👍

2 likes

Well done you! W5 will be on you sooner than you think!!

Great post and loving there’s a Week 5 support group ! I’m on same week and just come back in after doing W5 R2, surprised myself that actually managed to run 8 mins without stopping and then ran 8 mins again- have absolutely no idea how that happened and would never have believed I would be able to do that in those early weeks! Getting warmer outside and had sunglasses on for first time running.Changed my running tracks to ABBA so maybe that helped-Winner takes it all etc( fingers crossed for our gentle run to the podium!) Have a great week everyone 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️🏅🕶

3 likes

Great result Jane!! You're in sight of the tape and doing brilliantly!!

1 like

Hi, I've got to do a 2k run with my 8 yr old son tomorrow 😮 he does the daily mile with school every day, watch this space!!

2 likes

You'll smash it. Give the little lad a big high five from all of us. Have a great day tomorrow!!

On the starting line! Ready, steady, WALK! (Briskly) 😀

3 likes

C'mon you lovely fellah! You've got this one nailed. THINK SNAIL!!

1 like

Exciting few days ahead for you all.

#you can do it!

Looking forward to reading all your success stories!!

Have fun out there

1 like

Watch us from your lofty beacon young Matty! And cheers us all over the line buddy :-)

1 like

BOOOOOM

I stand. Sweaty, stitch ridden, bowed but unbeaten. I stand, nay loom, over the beaten corpse of week5 Run 3. Air guitar in hand, I ride with Dio unto the new dawn. This ungainly beardy mass of fat, anxiety, rage and kebabs just managed 20 mins 😁😁

I am Arnie defeating predator. I am Rocky defeating Creed. I am Silent Bob defeating that demon.

In other words I’m slightly chuffed. Wheezing, sweating and in pain, but chuffed.

If I can, you definitely can.

👍👍🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️👍👍👍👍

10 likes

And folks we have our first buddy over the line in style. Or anti-style. Who cares. Big Dave has cracked it open for us and shown us the way!! Let's hear it for Dave. Rock on brother!! Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant!!

C'mon. Pour beer over that boy!!

2 likes

Beer soaked anti style. That is now a “thing”. I will rehydrate with some rare ale tonight, Viking style. 🤘🤘

Weetabix Wombats Win Out in Style. Make sure you have "Immigrant Song" up loud to go with the Viking Ale, tiger.

Chuffed to bits for you, you beardy loon!!

1 like

Cheers to you and all on this forum.. I could hear the support! Weetabix wombat running club. 😂😂

You're a great softie at heart.... :-)

Now you get the Three Weetabix Challenge. Awesome.

1 like

Fantastic! This Week 1 newbie is gazing in awe at your mighty accomplishment. Great job, O Great Dave!

2 likes

Careful! His head will swell and his air guitar will get completely out of control! And you'll be where we are before you know it! Come on it, the water's lovely :-)

2 likes

Yes! Kneel before me. Ha!!!

But walked the same route to get to town and barely made it. Rewarded with ale in the sun. These are the days 😆😆

Fantastic! You’ve shown us the way! My week 5 starts on Monday. Congrats! 🥇🥇

1 like

You’ll smash it. As everyone says, snails pace. And good music. 😁🤘

1 like

You are truly a leader of men. And a top bloke too!!

1 like

I shall lead my Viking horde across the plains of week 6. And then drink Mead from the skulls of our enemies. Or perhaps just cocoa.

2 likes

This is a brilliant post! Very motivational and I'm more than a little sad to have missed the party as I gear up to complete W6. You can all do it! I had no respect for the C25K until I tried just running 5K without the app - big mistake. I regularly power-walked much further distances, and did not appreciate the difference. Promptly regretted my folly and downloaded the app. It's so perfectly designed to slowly improve us without inviting injury. Once the initial strength building is done (Weeks 1 through 4), you're ready for the long runs and it becomes a psychological battle rather than a physical one. The sheer number of graduates of this programme stand as testament. If you do find yourself struggling physically, and there's no injury, then you're most likely just going too fast for your new-found running legs. There's a very good reason for the "slow and steady" mantra, not only is it good advice but it's a very common mistake to start off too quickly having learned a pace from the short bursts in the early runs. You now need to learn pace. I believe the C25K sets you up perfectly for a lifetime of running, varying the types of running needed to complete the programme. I only wish I'd found it sooner.

5 likes

Lovely wise post. And thanks for the vote. We're already bringing winners over the line in style. And the rest of us winners are going to stand on the shoulders of giants!!

1 like

I’m realising the pace thing now. Getting slower and slower as the time gets longer. That’s fine though. Speed can come later (much later)!

1 like

Hi all my next run is w5r3 due today ..But been camping last nite ..(didn't sleep well) so putting it off till tomorrow ..I'm so apprehensive about it but will take it slow n steady and see how I go ...Will keep posting ...Good luck to everyone on their run ,👍👍

2 likes

Embrace that inner snail and keep the hedgehogs out of the tent tonight. They'll nick your shoes...

2 likes

Will do ..sallenson ..Thank you

1 like

Call me Stephen. We're running buddies now!! :-)

1 like

All done! Tough but doable. Will check in more later. Back to the gym! Thank you so much for all the support! It really helped! 😀

4 likes

And another winner. Simon's spanked R1 on the treadmill. Fellow treadmillers take comfort. Doesn't matter where you run, you're running towards greatness.

Fantastic result Simon. Take the rest of the day off :-)

Thanks Stephen! As always your positivity is amazing! You have credited me with an extra run though lol! That was wk4r3! Feeling good now home and rested. Bring on wk5! 😀

I take it all back. You've been dishonestly jumping on the bandwagon, your wireless headphones are rubbish and playing a Cream Horn is just silly :-)

Come back in two days' time and then we'll talk to you.

xx

3 likes

😂😂😂😂

I never let the lack of an invitation stop me going to the party!

Now I'm feeling left out. I'm on W6..... 😢😉Enjoy W5 it's the best one!!

1 like

You could always do it again with us!!...

But we're right on your toned tail now. No stopping us W5 hotties....

1 like

Ha ha! Not sure about the toned bit! I'm cheering you all on don't worry. I might end up repeating it - struggling with W6 I have to say. Determined to power through though. Stay calm & keep on running! Good luck to you all.

1 like

You'll always be toned to us. You're a W6 powerhouse!!

2 likes

🏃🏼‍♀️🏃🏼‍♀️🏃🏼‍♀️ I DID IT!!! 👏👏 and i’m still breathing!!! Stunned! Amazed! And feeling invincible!! My inner snail is unstoppable!!!! Yeeeha!!! Week 6 here I come!!!

8 likes

Fantastic!! Another winner folks. Kas just knocked it out of the park for us. Embrace the beating heart of that inner snail and feel the power!!

Big cheers for Kas and the libation of your choice and optional cake.

Yeehaa!!!

3 likes

Well done Kas. Join me on the elevated podium of greatness. 😂😂😂

2 likes

Just completed R2week5, I am quite pleased with how it went, the last 8 minutes were done at 6m15sec K pace, however, for the big one R3W5, the 20 minutes, I will have to run a bit slower to make sure I complete it without walking or stopping.

2 likes

Fantastic!! Don't fret about pace. (I know, easier said than done when we have the tech.) Embrace that inner snail. The only race going on here is between your ears; tell that brain to STFU :-)

2 likes

Thanks 'Sallenson' it was a nice sunny morning where I live in Cumbernauld, that's about 13 miles northeast of Glasgow, my smartphone is not compatible to have the C25K app, however, I did have the exact timing from my phone and I know the times I do, I jog/walk with it on my right hand and remember exactly the times of the various runs/walk etc from memory after listening to Laura on my laptop just before I go out for whatever round I will be doing. Week 4 and I notice week 6 day 1 has a lot of parts to it, so I will memorise those (already done week4) before going out. I like your quote about 'the inner snail', I suppose it's better to go at that pace than going too quickly and having an injury.

1 like

You're a real trooper and you'll get there. Embrace your Inner Snail. Go as slow as you can. If you're aware of your breathing slow it down a touch. We don't want you too tired to enjoy the party when you've finished your run. If you're out of breath you won't be able to do the karaoke!! Let us all know how real runners smack it out of the park in Scotland. Don't leg the haggises run up your kilt tho :-)

Ha Ha 'sallenson' love your quote "don't leg the haggises run up your kilt" As I reply to you this Sunday evening I am on 'countdown' to run round 3 of week 5, yes the 20 minute non-stop run which I will be doing around part of Linlithgow Loch on Monday morning.

I was quite inspired today watching the Manchester 10k on the television, there was a lady who used to be about 30 stone and through training was now about 15 stone lighter and be able to complete in that 10k I am 'only' 10st 5lbs and I certainly hope to complete round 5 run 3 in 20 minutes tomorrow morning, I'll go slow and steady, about 160 strides a minute cadence.

Regards

Alan

1 like

Alan, you're quite inspiring enough for us. Now get some quality kip and get those legs all freshened up for tomorrow.

You're our star in Scotland and we're running the haggis up the flagpole for you!!

You're going to be great!!

Thank you very much for your support 'sallenson', yes I will get my supper in about 10 minutes and afterwards get good quality kip and be freshened up for the morning. I don't have enough memory on my Smartphone for Laura's instructions, however, at this very moment I am listening on my Laptop to her on week 5 round 3, I always memorise what there is to do, but of course, for this run, it's just a straight 20 minutes. Once again, thanks for your support

Alan

Alan, 5 minute walk, 20 minutes of Inner Snail easy as it goes, take it gently but don't stop running, 5 minute walk to finish.

You're a champ. Go out there and be the great guy we know you are!!

Call me Stephen!! We're running buddies now!!

Thanks Stephen, just before I go to bed for a good kip, yes I will take it nice and slowly, perhaps a little quicker than a snail, by the way, as I say I will be going round Linlithgow Loch, which is about 4 miles / 6.4 kilometres, so a slow 20 minute run I assume will get me around about 3/4 of the way. I have walked and cycled around this loch hundreds of times and know exactly where any hills are, so, I start the run and should not get to any hilly parts before the 20 minutes is finished. After hopefully completing the run then there is a hill right at the bottom adjacent to Linlithgow Palace, that's where Mary Queen of Scots was born in 1542, it's now just a ruin but the owners ask for a rip off price to go inside, typical rip off Briton, so I have about a 10 minute walk to the bus and get that to Stirling, by the castle, have a good meal in the bus station in Stirling, go a short walk along the river Forth and get another bus back home, hopfully it should be a good day tomorrow

Regards and good night Stephen

Alan

1 like

It says reply to Almorr, but ignore that, Yes Stephen, I did it I ran R5run 3 this morning 3/4 around Linlithgow Loch, I feel fine, here are details from my "run-Log.com.app" which I had with me

Distance:-2km 309m

Duration:-0:20min 02 seconds, average pace 08:40/km

Speed:- 6.9km/h 1stk:-Pace 08.29/km, 2nd k 09.07/km 3rd K was paced at 07.47/km. I ran a bit quicker for the last 50 metres, but with a hill approaching, I had to slow down and ended just at the bottom of the hill. Actually, I got further round the loch than I thought I would, I thought I would finish at least a quarter of a mile before that hill but as I say it was at the bottom of it I finished. I met 1 runner running in the opposite direction and one man who was walking shouted at me, "keep on running, your doing great" I admit I was a bit nervous last night in bed and only really got about 3 hours sleep thinking about that run, but of course I feel great now. Stephen, have you completed C25K? if not which part are you on?

1 like

Well done Alan! Top job. I'm heading out for R2 in a while when I've finished some chores....

We've got another winner folks!!

Thanks Stephen, good luck for your R2 run, today on my 'rest' day from running I have done 75 press-ups over a period of 30 minutes, then a Tom Holland 3 minute yoga plank session on Youtube, then my chores (washing) and at 11.55am I am going to Burger King for lunch.

1 like

I was worrying about your sanity until the lunch bit. Rock on Alan!!

Thanks Stephen

Well Stephen I hope your R2 run went well, I enjoyed my "Chicken Royal" at Burger King, I also had a small dessert as well, I wasn't bloated or anything like that but certainly not in a mood for a run after I left BK, just walked slowly home. Tomorrow I start week 6, run 1, I notice from the schedule that I have to run 5 minutes, walk 3, run 8, walk 3 and finally run for 5 minutes to end with, mmm, I'll see how it goes.

1 like

My R2 was picked up like a caber and hoisted over my shoulder into the next county. Where it like crumpled, quivering and broken. R3 on Friday.

I'm on your heels tiger! And there's nothing wrong with a decent pudding after your success today!!

General wisdom on W6 seems to be "It's a bastard. Take it slow. The walk breaks are deceptive".

Now go and be even more great young man!!

Good morning Stephen, I am so happy that your R2 run went so well, yes that caber being hoisted over your shoulder and into the next county I bet made you feel great. I have just come back from my run 1 of week 6, I just did it locally, no travelling miles this time. I thought perhaps I would still feel the effects of that 20 minute run on Monday but my legs held up well this morning with no adverse effects whatsoever. My next run on Saturday Week 6 run 2 depends on how warm it will be, if it's going to be warm I will do it near home first thing in the morning, but if the weather is not going to be too warm, I'll take a trip on the train and run along the Forth and Clyde canal about 20 miles from where I live, however, there will be no caber tossing for me, Ha.

1 like

Oh my Good Lord! What have we started? Winners coming in thick and fast all over the place. Podium Builders working overtime. Anyone who's excited about some wedding thing happening in Berkshire should get their butt down here. This is where the real excitement is today tigers.

Keep those winners coming through and keep cheering them on till their ears hurt!!

Those of you running today picked a gorgeous day for it too. The mark of a true winner is manipulating the weather.

Come on you beauties!!

6 likes

I done w5r3 this morning.It was fine.My breathing technique still rubbish. I guess it takes time to figure out the right way.

8 likes

Well done you! Another winner!! Don't worry about technique today, just bask in glory!! :-)

2 likes

Well Done to each and every runner who completed W5 today!! Our support is being sent to those still to cross that finish line. C'mon you can do this mother!

3 likes

And remember that we know R3 has a special place in our hearts, but all the W5 runs are milestones. No matter what run you're doing you're a winner!!

Right - I’ve got to tell the tale of my run this morning.

First of all I am absolutely loving the playlist sharing! So far I’ve seen Stephen and his old codger rock music (Status Quo) also DaveB Heavy metal and Jane with ABBA.

Now it’s my turn. What do you think a 46 year old father of 2 listens to on his headphones in the gym?

That’s right! Some bangin’ trance house tunes! Come on! Let’s have it! Whoop whoop! You can take the raver out of the club but you can’t take the glow sticks off the raver!

Anyway this morning was a near disaster! My headphones ran out of juice mid run!! 😱 That threw me right off. I was bumbling along nicely and then no more Sarah interrupting Dave Pearce in the mix! From then on it was gym music (dancey but not quite right) and keeping time by looking at my phone for when to run and walk. And I got to the end and was a bit naughty. I can’t help myself. I tagged an extra running minute on. I know I should stick with the program. Oh well.

Week 5 here we come! Im scared and excited at the same time! 😎

Air horns at the ready! 🎧😜

7 likes

Woof! Old Codger? Old Codger? My W5 playlist has Underworld on it, so take that you Spring Chicken! I can't say any more because that would spoil my novel-length post tomorrow.

And yes, you're a very naughty boy, but we still love you!!

P.S. Not sure about Air Horns, but a Cream Horn right now would hit the spot....

1 like

Underworld! That is more like it! 😅

So good at their 5 night stint at Somerset House I went every night. Didn't get a Cream Horn tho. Can't imagine running to the live version of "Pearl's Girl" in a million years tho.

That's for young toughies like you with legs like skinned rabbits....

1 like

Great idea! Am due to do week 5 run 2 tomorrow. Full of a cold but am going to give it a shot!!! Good luck everyone.

1 like

Watch the cold. If it starts to feel a bit rubbish, stop and give yourself some recovery time. Running with a cold could really push your heart rate up and you'll be working much garder than normal. That's my W4 wisdom all done :-)

1 like

5:30pm BST and we've had a glory board of successes out there today. Well done, everyone's a winner! 174 replies and 40 Likes has made us a phenomenon. I'm expecting major Hollywood Studios to take out options at any point and my eldest daughter knows IP Law inside out. We're set for life!!

If you're running later, let us know. If you're running tomorrow let us know.

Couple of people have that familiar "Ooh er W5" prickle of fear at the back of the neck.

Remember what Mark Twain said: "Courage is not the absence of fear; courage is the mastery of fear."

We can all do this.

Even better, we've bequeathed a new phrase to the C25K lexicon of wisdom: Embrace your Inner Snail.

It's good to go fast, but better to go slow and finish!!

And we've learnt that DeeRunning owes us a pic of her shorts; DaveB46 has a twenty-a-day Weetabix habit, and _SimonT_ runs with Cream Horns in his ears (I think). It's a beautiful, joyous, mad world of running about out there and we're going to party till it's Week 9. As the song says.

Yo winners!!

3 likes

I haven’t heard a speech like that since Henry V! Awesome 👏🏻. And Mark Twain too.

I’d like to add something by the great motivational guru, Yoda - “Try? There is no try. Do or do not.”

Or maybe Shaggy - “Would you do it for a Scooby snack?”😂

2 likes

My shorts are infamous!

1 like

Celebrity Shorts. It's the future. You're in the vanguard!! xx

1 like

Hi! I have w5r3 tomorrow. I'm feeling hopeful but nervous about it. Good luck everyone!!!

4 likes

Cull the nerves. Convert hope to belief. Embrace your inner snail. You are going to smash this out of the park and stand proud on the podium!!

Cmon tiger! You can so do this! We're all cheering you on!!

1 like

Thank you so much!!! Despite underestimating how warm it would be and so wearing a running jacket and the Richard herring/Tim Minchin podcast I was distracting myself with cutting out after 5 mins of running....i did It!!!!

2 likes

Brilliant job you!! In tropical conditions too. U r officially a superstar. Jump on that podium and shake the fizzy bottle around!!

Monday is run 3. 8 minutes was hard. 20 mins??? Eek.

2 likes

Fear is the mind killer. Take it slow. Embrace your inner snail. You'll smash it!!

It looks like you’ve got a great group here . I’m almost sorry to have finished. 😉

2 likes

We're trying hon! Come and join us if you like. Always room for winners here!!

1 like

W5R2 for me, either tomorrow or Monday. I did R1 on Friday, so this weekend will be my two day rest, but not sure if I can wait haha

Count me in too 👍

1 like

Get a decent rest in. Doesn't matter when you attack R2, you'll pound its tiny misshapen head into the ground. Sandie's coming for you Runs 2&3 - be very very afraid!!

1 like

Hi I just did W5R1 with R2 to go..😬 it seems a big step up to 8 minutes of running but I am up for it!! Good luck everyone!

3 likes

Update! Just completed W5R2!! Silently inwardly cheering myself as I walked the 5 minute cool down. Beginning to believe this is possible. When I finish W5 I am treating myself to a pair of skull candy wireless headphones 🎧. Whoop whoop!!

3 likes

U absolute star!! And a core part of motivation is the promise of shopping. Just brandish that credit card with pride!!

Did you really do R1 and R2 on the same day/together/at the same time?

And when does R3 come on stage?

1 like

Ha ha no...I’m good but not good! And I always stick to the ‘rules’ Just late posting R1. I did R1 on Friday. Great motivating post sallenson makes me laugh out loud 😊

1 like

Woof! R3 for you on Tuesday? Tuesday's going to be a big day for superstardom. Knock it for six and then jump all over it. Go tiger!

W5R1 bagged up and sent to cleaners by me this morning. By no means as easy as I thought it might be. This pesky old programme keeps us on our toes eh?

I'll pop my customary minute-by-minute account on a separate post under Week 5 when I've had a cuppa. Runners need tea!!

1 like

I’ll clear my schedule. Looking forward to it!

Well done and I need to know the playlist! 😁😁😁😁

It's up there. Long as always and stupidly soppy..... And you get a mention!!

1 like

I did it !! W5r3 in the bag ..so happy ....have a great run everyone 😊😊

4 likes

Fantastic!! I've just done R1 and found that tougher than anticipated, so you've really nailed this. Brilliant job!! x

1 like

You will do it 😊

1 like

With you urging us on we'll all do it. If you're not feeling smug right now you need to take your temperate :-) xx

1 like

Run 2 of week 5 done! 😊

Wasn’t as bad as I had convinced myself it would be!

Well done to all those who have run and good luck to those planning one 🏃🏻‍♀️🏃🏽‍♂️🏃🏻‍♀️🏃🏽‍♂️🏃🏻‍♀️🏃🏽‍♂️🏃🏻‍♀️🏃🏽‍♂️🏃🏻‍♀️

2 likes

Well done!! Only one to go. And you're now more than halfway thru the whole programme!!

Wowsa!!

2 likes

A fair few of us have piled over the line and onto the podium of glory today.

If you've run already let us know! If you're running later let us know! C'mon team!!

Anyone who's completed W5R2 is now over halfway through the whole programme. How good does that feel?

We're all winners!!!!!

3 likes

Hey everyone, starting W5R1 this morning. I'm amazed to have made it this far as I've never been the running sort AND by how much I've enjoyed the programme (even the hard days). It's a gorgeous blue-skied Sunday, post Royal Wedding 💒 (which I still need to watch). Heading out to Tooting Bec for the first time. Wish me luck!

4 likes

You get out there in the sunshine and knock this out of the park hon. You're all set and ready to bound onto the Podium of Glory!!

Not even a provincial wedding will make you feel this good!!

1 like

Good luck it’s a great day to run!

2 likes

Listen to Kherif !! She just nailed W5 to the floor and stamped all over it. More winners here than there are star in the sky folks!!

1 like

Hi! Well done to everyone who’s here and running! Hope I’m not to late but I have just completed run 3!!! I did it! 🏃🏻‍♀️Can’t believe I’ve come so far so quickly I feel amazing!

5 likes

Awesome. Another winner!! Just how fantastic do you feel now? And more than halfway to the end of the programme. Top job!!

Thanks! I never saw myself as a runner.... being the type of person who would rather miss the bus than run for it! But now I’m eagerly waiting the next one it’s madness! 😂

1 like

You're a runner now. And you're brilliant!! Go at W6 carefully now. And think of us poor sods trying to make the incredible credible :-)

1 like

With the enthusiasm and support I’ve seen in this thread I know everyone will do great! 🏃🏻‍♀️🐌

1 like

it's been absolutely knockout hasn't it? What a great bunch of people we all are.... :-)

Bev_Beeti is in week 5 and loving it

I’m in week 5 too, completed r2 this morning and r3 scheduled for Tuesday- loving it

1 like

Bev you are a wonder!! Halfway through the programme and set up for awesomeness. Place reserved for you on the top of the podium you winner! Come a grab it!!

Well done everyone!

I completed week 5 run 2 today. It was definitely a battle within the mind more than it was a physical one! Don't get me wrong, it wasn't easy physically but it was the mind that was doubting my ability to finish it over and over during that last 4 minutes but I just kept fighting the inner demons and I did it!!!

1 like

Teddly u r a superstar. Dead right about fighting off the demons. And you're now officially more than 50% of the way through the entire programme. How good does that feel!!

Sounds like R3 for you Tuesday-ish. We're all winning you onto that podium of invincibility!!

Thanks sallenson your a star for setting up this group. It really helps having the support from here!

2 likes

Not a star, just another running buddy. Cheers tho :-)

Just about to head out for wk5r2. Really nervous about the next 2 runs but gonna give it a shot. Have been putting it off all day!

2 likes

It's a gorgeous day out there. Hope it's not too hot where you are. You're not just giving it a shot Sandy, you're going to pound it into tiny bits, stamp all over it and then cry because you're a winner!!

I only managed R1 this morning and I cried. Big week for celebrations this week. Enjoy it and let us know how you get on :-)

2 likes

Just looking over the back of the sofa at wk5 r1 - obscure reference to my absolute fear of the Dialeks when I was 10 or so. Just gone 5pm now and 20 plus degrees so persuading myself that when it hits 15 it is time to go. The one thing I have to support me though us that in a demented burst of angst driven energy I managed to do 5.02km so as long as i ignore the pace the time running should hopefully be doable. Wk8 r1 on the other hand scares the pants off me

1 like

I like you was terrified of the Daleks. But look at us now!!

Wait for it to cool off a bit, pack your Inner Snail and EXTERRMINAAATE that R1 b*gger!!

Podium, medals and cakes await you in 30 minutes time!!

thegirlfrommarz makes a mean layered lemon drizzle cake with mascarpone icing so plenty for everyone!!

You are going to run your little socks off!!

This group is so much fun that I’m tempted to sack off week 7 run 3 tomorrow and rejoin you in week 5! Congrats to everyone wherever you are in week 5. Run 3 is a psychological milestone but you definitely can do it. Just get some banging tunes on the playlist (top tip: do not accidentally add The Black-Eyed Peas’ I Gotta Feeling to your playlist and then be unable to skip it because you’d have to stop. Why do I even *own* The Black-Eyed Peas’ I Gotta Feeling?), start slow to settle your nerves, and before you know it, Sarah/Michael/Jo/Laura/Sanjeev will be telling you there’s only 5 mins to go, and you’ll be in the home straight and it will feel awesome when you’ve finished. Good luck!

2 likes

I'm going to go through my music library now and rate everything by The Black-Eyed Peas with one star so I'm not tempted!

Slow's definitely going to be my ticket out of the Fairground Haunted House that is W5!!

I bet if you postposed your W7R3 tomorrow and did W5R3 you'd start telling us how easy it is tho. That's the power and beauty of the programme.

Could you just maybe make some cakes and get in the ginger beer for the rest of us tho? :-)

Ha, eating anything baked by me is more of a punishment than a reward! I’ll get the (ginger) beers in and hit up the M&S baked goods section instead - deal?

Slow and steady is definitely the way - I was really worried about w5r3 but it was relatively painless in the end, despite (because of?) setting a new PB for slowest completion of my route!

W5 R3 for me tomorrow and I’m scared! 2 days ago I never thought I’d have been able to run for 8 minutes tho so I’m hoping this goes the same way. Eeek

2 likes

Kira, you're in and you're less than 24hrs from greatness!! Drink plenty this evening (water preferably, I know...), get a decent night's kip. Then it's just about embracing that Inner Snail, starting off slower than humanly possible and going with it. Everything you've done so far has prepared you for this.

Banish those demons hon! Climb aboard the Inner Snail. You're going to pound R3 into the dust and bounce up onto the podium to a stadium full of us cheering ourselves hoarse!

Kira, you're a winner!!!

Let us know just how fantastic it was ok?

1 like

Hello! I’d like to join the W5 club please.... completed R1 today & weirdly found it really good..I seem to have improved my technique & swinging my arms more seems to help my breathing. I used the treadmill...walking 5.5, running 6.4...best running tune was ABBA Waterloo...feet tuned in perfectly. Looking forward to Weds for R2. Thanks for all the great messages all 👍🏻

1 like

Helen, you're in the best party in town. We W5ers rock!

Sounds like your R1 was great. Can't beat a good old tune to get the blood flowing. Good job.

We're all a wee bit anxious about R2 & R3. None of are experts, we're just here helping each other along. Our mantra seems to be "Embrace Your Inner Snail". Keep it as slow as you can. Marathon, not sprint. Believe in yourself. You'll get jokes, hugs and cakes here aplenty.

We may not be the prettiest runners in world, but we're the gutsiest. And we're having a great time watching our buddies jumping on the W5 podium every time they get another great run under their trainers.

Trust yourself. You'll be amazing!!

1 like

W5 Run 1 now accomplished 👍😀

Almost didn't make it as I was out with friends last night and fell down the stairs in the pub! 😲😂🤣

Luckily no leg injuries just brusied arms

I was looking forward to this run ( never thought I'd ever say that about running,I was the last to be picked for cross country at school! lol)

Started the first 5 min run,2 songs through and im thinking where's MJ telling me how I'm doing?

The app had crashed☹ so I timed the runs using my phone instead

Now looking forward to run2!

Hope everyone else is doing ok with it x

1 like

Jo-Jo! What are you like? Hurling yourself downstairs whilst half-cut to avoid a run!! But then picking yourself up and battling through without the Divine Michael to help you!!

What a trooper. And yet another winner over the line folks!!

Let's hear it for J-Jo. And someone find some TCP....

Well done you!! :-)

1 like

Wk5 R3 for me on Tuesday

Bit apprehensive just need to have a nice steady pace

1 like

We're right here behind you. You're going to fabulous. Embrace that Inner Snail, take it steady and that special podium place is right there for you hon!!

1 like

Oh my Lord!! What a weekend it's been. It's 9:15PM BST and I'm hoping there's no-one still out there pounding the pavements and trails.

256 replies and 54 likes. What a team we are.

I started the post as a bit of fun for a couple of people I'd come across who were either at the end of W4 or just settling into W5. Just to add a bit of support and encouragement and banter and fun along the way.

What I didn't expect we the sheer number of people who popped in to say hello. The people who popped in and stayed. The people who got behind the momentum. Everyone who made this feel like a team.

You know what? We're all runners. And runners are the nicest people I've ever come across.

I've tried to keep up, typing nonsense, trying to reply to everyone, trying to keep up the energy and good humour. Apologies if it's turned into puppyish nonsense from time to time. But I've loved every second of it.

It's been brilliant. It will continue to be brilliant until we're over that big line and up on the W5 podium. It's been an honour and privilege. I've laughed my socks off, I've shed the odd tear; all human life in all its glorious bonkersness is here.

Keep up the hard work. Keep posting your replies. Keep running. Keep that Inner Snail fed and watered. Keep the faith.

I'll keep doing this as long as there W5ers who want to share their stories and appreciate the occasional kind word to get onto that podium.

You lot are just extraordinary. And every last one a winner.

Go Team!!

2 likes

Yay I did it! W5R3 done! It was tough and I had to go slow but I did it and feel super proud of myself! 🏃‍♀️💪😝

3 likes

Brilliant Dawn!! Top job!!

I'm new here, I only found the forum this week, but I also completed W5R3 yesterday and I'm super proud and not a little bit astounded that I did it!

Managed just under 3k and my 2nd half was faster than my first so I'm happy with my pace but one of my feet was entirely numb by the time I finished :(. That has never happened before and the only thing that was different was my route... Any ideas anyone? I don't think my trainers were laced too tight but I do have intermittent trouble with the hip on the same side so I wonder if it's all linked.

Really looking forward to W6R1 on Tuesday now :)

1 like

Good for you!! Enjoy your rest day and fingers crossed for the foot. Sounds a bit alarming so don't overdo it...

Do you measure the distance with a Fitbit?any other way? I'm a shuffler🏃‍♀️

I have a Fitbit and my other half has a Garmin. He runs with me like a coach (he's not a runner but is much fitter than me), which is awesome but also useful for calibrating the Fitbit data.

I was actually disappointed with the Fitbit reaction to this run - it's the first one I logged with GPS - and it's dropped my fitness level way down as my pace is slow apparently :( but I'm still really happy with myself so far! Slow and steady wins the race etc :)

2 likes

Frankly, stuff what Fitbit says. We think you're doing a fantastic job and we know better than a chunk of plastic!!

1 like

Thank you! :D

Just done run 2! Can’t quite believe I did it 😂. Ohhhhh those last two minutes though 😫

Run 3 Wednesday 😁

1 like

Well done you!! I need to get out there for R2 or you're going to lap me!!

Week 5 run 2 completed in the rain, a first for me

1 like

Brilliant!! I'm feeling the pressure now from all you runners!!

Just completed run 3! Can't stop smiling! 20 minutes of non stop running! First ten minutes were the hardest - actually enjoyed the last five minutes when I knew the end was in sight! To everyone who is doing run 3 this week - you've got this!!! Go and smash it!!!

1 like

Fantastic job. Well done you!!

Linking the words 20and enjoyable...

It's a funny old world eh?

1 like

Hello everyone! I’m going to complete W5R2 this evening. I cant believe this is the half way point. Looking forward to tonight’s run but know what’s in store in R3 and it’s making me a bit 😱

1 like

I'm going to try and get R2 out of the way today too. I'm with you on the "Oooh err" moment. I think my legs know what to do; it's the brain that needs the good talking to at this point. But I'm taking comfort from the fact that a lot of other people in the same position as us get through this. If they can, we can too!!

1 like

Just crawled my way through W5R2. Never thought that was going to be possible and couldn't have imagined actually doing it without you guys. Inevitably a longer post forthcoming when I've had my water/banana/lie down!!

3 likes

Well done! Looking forward to your full post 😊

It's up and as bonkers as usual!! :-)

Week 5 was my absolute favourite- enjoy it all - you can do this!! Really you can 👍😊🏃🏻‍♀️🏃‍♂️

1 like

Two thirds of the way there now. Not easy and not always preferable to a bag of donuts, but I'm up for R3 on Thursday morning!!

I've just done week 5 run 3 in the midday sun!!!! Must be mad but I found some shade and ran alongside the river and dare I say it was okay! First ten minutes felt like forever but at no point did I think I can't do this. Afterwards the recovery was quick too so I can safely say the fitness levels are improving. I go on holiday at the weekend and hope I don't undo all the hard work!!! Keep going all you week 5ers you can do it too!

2 likes

Fantastic job!! Sounds like a holiday right now is just what you deserve. Take it easy. You'll be hungry to get your trainers on by the time you're back and W6 is already cowering in fear!!

I think there's a lot in ignoring your negative brain in all this.

1 like

Absolutely!! I've had no physical niggles at all to date (touches head). But those chappies in my head? They're trying to have a great time at my expense... And losing too so far :-)

W5R3 (deserves capitals!) wowsers, was I scared of that. Now I feel like a real runner. Mind over matter, head up, steady pace and 20 minutes conquered. Now I’m floating on air!, god luck everyone with it still to go - if I can, you can.😃😇 🏃‍♀️

1 like

Brilliant!! We've had to build a small New Town just to accommodate all the glitzy new podiums for all these fab WK5ers who are kicking sand into its puny, malnourished, non-running form.

Onwards team!! There's gold in them thar hills....!!

1 like

I've just done Wk5 r1 👌 we can do this!

2 likes

Fantastic!! We sure can!! It's a mind game now. Kick those gremlins where it hurts and embrace your Inner Snail to Victory and Beyond!!

1 like

Wowsers I did it!! W5R3 done and dusted. 20 minutes of non stop snail-pace running 🏃‍♀️ 😊 I would never have believed I could do it 5 weeks ago. Off to buy my wireless headphones at the weekend as a reward!! 😊 thanks to everyone for the amazing support on this forum. Anyone just leading up to the 20 minutes run, believe in yourself and you will do it! Slow and steady especially at the start. 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️

3 likes

Well done - just completed W5R1 and if I am honest I am wondering how I will do 20 mins - but I guess I will just trust that I can 🤸‍♂️😉

You will do it. I am a 62-year old and new to running so if I can anyone can 😊

1 like

You will. I will. We all will. Everyone's a winner here!!

Chuck those doubts into the bin with your old socks and bring on the new dawn of runnerness!!

1 like

It’s mind over matter. You can do it. Slow and steady. Trust the plan, I was nervous but the plan works. Make sure you’re rested and feeling great. Good luck. 😀 🏃‍♀️

2 likes

On it, like a slow slow bonnet

2 likes

Well done my beauty!! Cracked it!! The Podium of Everlasting Fame awaits you!!

Thank you! good luck for your next foray into the unknown ...🐌

Tomorrow's the big day for me! My legs are saying "Bring it on", my feet are trying to go the other way :-)

Listen to your legs 😊

1 like

I'm going to!! My legs are wise!! That's a thought I've never had before.... :-)

1 like

Well done 👍😀My next run is the 20 min monster

I'm really excited about it and can't wait to tick it off !

Just did R3. Well when I say ‘did’ what I should say is crawled through it! **** me! That was hard!!! Every minute felt like an age. It was just sheer bloody mindedness that got me through and the thought of coming on here saying I failed 😂

1 like

This is brilliant!! You are brilliant!! Why? Because it gives heart to people who are struggling a bit. Not another "Well i thought it was going to be hard but the minutes just flew by" responses. Yours took grit and heart and bravery. That's why you're brilliant!! Well done. Because it hurt... xx

1 like

That’s lovely. Thank you 😊

Every word true too!!

1 like

Doing run 1 tonight! Here we go!!

1 like

You're in great company hon. Take it nice and slow. Not a race. Whatever it takes to get you on the podium where you belong...

1 like

Hello Stephen, have completed W5 R3 and very happy to still have knees,shins and ankles intact to get through the next run! I’m enjoying being part of the Week 5ers but feeling adrift slightly as not yet started Week 6 so officially an inbetweener! When can the fivers become the sixers- think we need our leader with the eclectic music tastes to make it happen ??!! 🏃‍♂️🏅

1 like

I'll see what I can do!! Making no promises. My big W5R3 post will be along in a wee while!!

2 likes

We need your inspiration for the W6 challenge! I am an in betweener too! Looking forward to your post. 😊 🐌

It's up and another soppy one! Be warned!!

1 like

Ooh have you posted something? Why can’t I see it? ☹️

It's under the Week 5 topics...

Doh! I found it 😊

1 like

I've just completed week 5 run 1. I was slow but I did it! Days 2 and 3 really scare me. Last time I attempted c25k I crashed out after week 5 run 3. I couldn't get motivated for more than 5 years. So I'm really scared for the 20 minute run tbh.

1 like

Hannah, scared is natural. If you weren't a bit scared I'd be worried. But take it slowly. And then more slowly. And prepare astonish yourself!!

Just completed w5r1 and looked ahead the rest of the week.

😱 run 3

Please tell me someone else has done it and lived to tell that tale? It seems such a big jump!

I did it this morning. Lived to tell the tale and left another long and sloppy post in the customary place.

It's not as big a jump as you think. But it is hard. But *checks pulse * I am still here!!

Go on!! You know you want to!!

I'll give it my best!

Going to try r2 over the weekend and then plan a suitable (maybe not post work) day for the big one!

R2's a bigger deal than R3.. 8+5+8 = 21 minutes of activity. R3's only 20 minutes. Just feels like a big mountain because it's "running". Not "running and walking". But the effort's similar. And my running is slower than my walking anyway.

It's a (scuse my French) Mindf*ck at this point. You will do it. And you'll be ridiculously pleased when you do.

Podium right here waiting for you hon!!

Right then my lovelies!

Time for me to call it quits and a big "Sayonara Baby" to W5. Apparently there's been a bit of an incident over on the W6 Cake Stall and me and few of the lads are going to sort 'em out.

If you're still doing W5 - hang on in there and keep the faith. You can so do this.

If you've jumped on the W5 Podium of Joy already, then there's a W6 post (involving the word "Wallop") so come and join in the extended party.

So say "It's been fun" would be either an understatement or a lie. Defo a "life experience".

Churlish not to call out a few folks tho: MarkyD who has become my default "Running Dad" for being wise; Oldfloss for being stern, but with a twinkle in her eye and heart of gold. And my personal support crew: DeeRunning; pianoteacher; Marvo69; Welshwitch. You have been magic every step of the way so far. And my base running crew: _SimonT_ ; Chrisj31; Donna79 and the rest. You are just bloody brilliant. And of course DaveB46 for, well, madness really.

Last call out to SandieF for being honest when it's so easy not to be. You taught me a whole bunch of stuff this week.

Brilliant brilliant brilliant....

5 likes

Right back at ya! You've been a great support & source of amusement. You keep us all going. Stay calm & keep on running!

1 like

Calm? Calm? Me? Blimey!! xx + xx

1 like

Yeah - you got this.....

Never in a million years did I expect to be having conversations about John Eliot Gardner, Glenn Gould and Countertenors when I joined this forum but it has been all the better for it.

Thank you :-)

Maybe it's all been a dream....

Or I've been talking to myself....😂

I do that all the time. Everyone else runs away 😁

Running Dad, eh? Not certain if that counts as a compliment!

It was definitely intended as one, Dad 😁

We'll carry you to the damn podium if we have to. No man (or woman) gets left behind in this crew!..

#you can do it

2 likes

So I just got back from completing week 5 run 3...burst into tears with joy at the end! Never thought I could ever run for that long....just been reading through everyones posts so well done Wk5 team! That run is definitely about mental strength as much as physical strength....and finding your pace and listening to your body.

1 like

Brilliant!! And I'm relieved it wasn't just me who had a bit of a blub at the end.

The mental toughness gig isn't over quite yet tho Sandy. Rest up a bit before you do W6R1 and be prepared to take it more slowly than anything else you've done so far. It's a salutary shot of cold water across the bows after the elation of W5. If you bear that in mind you'll be great!!

Thanks for the warning! I'm just going to bask in my own glory for a couple of days and make a plan for next week once I can walk again! :)

1 like

Both a superstar and wise you are! A couple of days R&R sounds just the ticket. Get plenty of water into that toned frame, enjoy your BH and sneak up behind W6R1 and nick its packet of Jelly Babies :-)

1 like

Completed WK5R3 this morning 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️. Can’t believe that I (me who isn’t at all sporty or athletic) actually ran for a whole 20 mins. Ok there was one moment with 5 mins to go when it was more like staggering than running, but I finished with running. Looked back over the programme to week 1 and It is simply amazing just how far we’ve come. Tomorrow I’m off to a proper running shop for gait analysis and running shoes.

3 likes

Brilliant. That's some going in this heat and humidity. You'll have wings on your feet all day and double wings tomorrow with your new tyres!!

Hello all! Have joined as I am struggling... did W5R3 yesterday and found it soooo hard. First time I've had to stop and walk during a 'run' (several times). Feel like a total failure today and am close to giving up. Where did I go wrong? It was super hot which is very unusual where I live. My legs just couldn't hold out. Any advice or tips, no matter how obvious, would be much appreciated. I'm a total beginner!

1 like

Now listen up Gilly [adopts stern face]. We don't entertain the words "f***" or "f***ure" around here ok?

It's been dead hot and dead humid and everyone has struggled. W5R3 is a big moment for all of us. But if you can walk for 20 minutes, you can DEFINITELY run for 20 minutes. Make sure that you're properly hydrated the day before your next out. Get out either early or late if you can. And GO SLOW.

And then MORE SLOW.

And then EVEN MORE SLOW.

Watch the snails whizz past you. Watch elderly people with one leg hop past you. It doesn't matter. GO SLOW and THEN MORE SLOW. If you're aware that you're running out of puff or your legs feel tired or you can hear your own breathing SLOW DOWN. As long as you're doing a "running" action, you're running!!

Think of this as a practice in semi-tropical conditions. You've learned loads. You know what to do to fix it. Have a day's rest, drink plenty and then go and slay that pesky W5R3 dragon.

We'll be cheering you on...

1 like

Thank you so much. I definitely wasn't hydrated enough the day before and ran at 1:00pm (only time I could have someone watch my littlies). 2 great tips (& the encouragement I needed) to help me try it again tomorrow. 🏃🙈😊

1 like

You're a winner hon!!

I just slayed my dragon!!!! It was slow but no snails overtook me so I'll take that! Thanks for the encouragement! 🏃🤣

1 like

And finally past the post...completed w5r3 yesterday. That felt great. I had a week off work so ran Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Now I realise it's work that's been the biggest barrier. So tired by the end of a work day and I can't face getting up before 5. I'm going to try to change things next week and get out there regardless (in there actually, been doing it at the gym!)

It has been amazing this week. I never imagined I could run for 20 minutes. 20 minutes! All the advice is right-"trust in the programme"🤗😎👍🏽

Looking forward to starting week 6 tomorrow.

You may also like...