Couch to 5K
55,183 members87,688 posts

tips for dealing with slightly dodgy knee

Hello, I’m about to embark on Wk6 tomorrow, and I’ve been noticing that my knee is not feeling 100% for the past two week or so of running. It is not bad enough that I can’t run, but I am very aware of it when I’m running and I don’t want to injure it by ignoring it.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Should I use some sort of support, or cream? Any particular tips?

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Rua8! I’ve just done 6/1 and for the 1st time without my knee support. Got to say those middle 8 min were a bit tough! Anyway back to the knee. Always had a dodgy right knee when running so worn a support. Not sure if it’s the constant running or my leg exercises but felt ok running today. It’s a bit sore now but bearable. Not much help! Sorry!

1 like

Thanks! Good to know that it’s possible to run in a knee support for several weeks without doing worse damage to yourself. Where did you get your support from? I may need to buy one. Well done on Wk6 R1! Yay! Was it rough enough to need redoing, or are you carrying on to r2? :)

Yes can run with it on and got mine from amazon. It is doable - think I ran a bit too fast in first 5 minutes! Moving on to run 2 on Thursday. Good luck with yours. 😊

1 like

Thanks! :)

1 like

I had no aches or pains till run 4 when I developed a stiff left knee - it was absolutely fine while running, and fine standing and walking on it, but when I bent it was very stiff - though not really sore as such. Getting up out of a chair was a bit unpleasant. That's now easing off a lot - (I've finished w5 now, and am doing a week of repeats of w5e3 as consolidation before starting w6). Maybe trying running on grass if you can - It'll proably slow you down a lot, but may be less impactful on the joints.

1 like

Thanks! Grass is a bit hard to come by where I am, unfortunately (all private fields with sheep in). I would have to drive somewhere 🤔

Maybe see if you incorporate some footpaths or bridleways then - to take some time away from concrete and tarmac.

I am 100% of the time on pavement. Today my knee actually did feel better. I don’t know if it was because there were some walking breaks. I will look into other routes though, thanks.

You may also like...