Couch to 5K
52,795 members84,887 posts

Left week 2 in the dust, yeeha!

I am chuffed to bits that I finished week 2. I was worried I wouldn’t get week 2 done in a calendar week because I had a friend staying for 5 days, so what with showing her the sights and whatnot I thought I would find it difficult to get the time to run.

I got up early to do runs 1 and 2 before breakfast, leaving the days free for sightseeing, and I did run 3 after work today, when really the last thing I wanted to do was go out running. I had to force myself out the door and my smiley on the app was set to “total grump” when I started.

Today, I only began to feel ok by the fourth running section in it. I’ve noticed in the fourth running section of every run this week I have managed to get up a good pace. It fizzles back out to a slower pace after that, but I feel this is an improvement on last week.

One question though - I have been plagued with a stitch in every run this week, generally starting on the second running section of each run. What is the cause of a stitch and how can I avoid getting them so often?

12 Replies
oldestnewest

Slow down a bit and the stitch will go.

But in the beginning I am always going at a slow jog. Is it the brisk walk I’m doing too fast then do you think, or do you think even the slow jog is too fast?

Took me a long time to really get the hang of going slow. Anything faster than running on the spot is fine. Keep the walk brisk.

1 like

Thanks, will give running slower a go.

I don’t know why you got a stitch, but congrats on finishing week 2

I will do my last week 2 run tomorrow, I can’t have you leaving me in the dust can I?

2 likes

Thanks! No, we can’t have that can we! I’ll be cheering from the virtual sidelines today as you get to near the end of your third run. Go, pecora, go!

I will start my run at 11:45 UK time, last night I downloaded some funky music to run to, and to help me up the 3rd hill I have Michael Flatley’s Lord of the Dance....

1 like

Haha - do you have running shoes or dancing shoes? Either would work with that music! Good luck on completing the week, you can do it! Also, I have found music to be very helpful, it gives you something to take your mind off the fact that you’re running, for one thing.

It is pouring down with rain

I might have to add the song Singing in the rain

:D yes, add it!

Woot woot! Two weeks knocked off already, tell that to the 'old you' on the couch ;) Your body is still adjusting to the novelty of running, give it time and the stitches will stop eventually. Don't run hunched over, and breathe from your belly to get rid of it (I seem to remember Laura giving advice about stitches... This thread may be of some help :) healthunlocked.com/couchto5...

1 like

Haha, the old me indeed - she is shocked I didn’t give up already :D Thanks, I just read that thread and it has some really good advice. I will try and remember all that and put it to use in Wk3.

2 likes

You may also like...