Couch to 5K
54,825 members87,335 posts

Week 1, day 1, run 0 (run 1 this evening)

Hello, I'm new to running, so thought I'd say hi :) I'm 34 and live in Wales. Before today, I would have told you I only run if there are bears around. There are no bears in Wales, so you can see where I'm going with this.

But, I would really like to get fit, and get outside a few times a week. Plus stop staring at a screen. (I have a very sedentary job and lifestyle.) My friend is a convert to running, and she recommended both the app and this forum, so here I am. I just downloaded the app and will go on my first run after work.

I joined the forum mainly for motivation from others, as I have been known to start fitness regimes and give up quite quickly.

20 Replies
oldestnewest

Welcome you are in the right place 😄

1 like

Welcome to the friendliest place on Tinternet. The first step has been taken, now lace up, get out there and come back to tell us how it went :)

3 likes

Welcome to this amazing, huge, extended virtual running family. You’ve definitely come to the right place for encouragement. Come back often to let us know how your runs go and good luck for your inaugural run this evening. 😀

3 likes

Thanks all, will do! :)

1 like

Good luck with your first run later, and welcome to the forum..

Don't worry, this plan is brilliant, it works, and is one that you will want to keep doing...

Nice and steady and enjoy! 😊...

1 like

Hi there Rua8 I'm in the same boat,downloaded the apps today, want to get fitter at 48. First time runner! So... good luck I know how you're feeling. Let's do it 👍

1 like

I've just done my week 1 run 2 ....... so starting just like you, good luck!

3 likes

Welcome! Stick with the programme and you will enjoy it. You will also be amazed at how quickly your fitness levels increase. I started as a non runner last October and now run at least 18km a week.

3 likes

Wow Mike!! That's impressive. Kudos! Rieverruner and SueyB, so glad you guys are also new, how was run 2 Riever? And Suey, let me know later how you got on with your first run, we can compare notes, or moan, whichever's necessary! Yay, thanks for all the encouragement already people!

1 like

Good luck for later! :)

1 like

Welcome to C25K and our friendly forum.

You’ll find a lot of support here, all of us were in exactly the same situation as you are now.

I started the programme in Oct last year and have since graduated to 10k and now in training for the GNR in September 😊

If I, and other folk like me can do it, so can you 😊

Good luck on the start of your journey today, please keep us posted 😊

1 like

Thanks Ted! Will do!

1 like

Ciao Rua8, I have just downloaded now I need to try the running bit

2 likes

Yes, quite... "the running bit". Argh. I like the forum though, so it can't be all bad can it? :D Let's compare notes when we've done the first run.

2 likes

We're good at motivation on here :) So nice that you have a running pal too.

Make sure you take your rest days

hydrate well EVERY day

Keep posting :)

And remember to keep it slow

Good luck :)

Liz x

1 like

Welcome.

Do check out the guide to the plan healthunlocked.com/couchto5...

Enjoy your journey.

1 like

Thanks for the tips guys! How much water is ideal for hydration? First run went well. I was jogging more than running (shuffling by the last “run”) but it got done and I’m glad I did it. Thanks for the encouragement!

1 like

It's supposed to be jogging - you're always going faster than you think, so slow down, even if you think you're going slower than a tortoise paddling thorough a tub of baked beans. You'll have plenty of time to outpace Mo Farah when you've finished the programme :)

As for hydration, you don't need gallons of water, just make sure you've drunk regularly over the day (it's a good habit, regardless of whether you're running or not). If I drink just before a run, I get a stitch.

Good tips, thanks! Definitely would rather avoid a stitch! :)

You may also like...