Couch to 5K
64,322 members97,369 posts

Hell is running 6k on a very small treadmill...who knew it could take so excruciatingly long to run 1k, let alone 6

Hell is running 6k on a very small treadmill...who knew it could take so excruciatingly long to run 1k, let alone 6

To be precise, run 2 of week 2 of ju-ju-'s 10 is the Magic number 10k plan. This is my second 6k ever. I have posted today's run (on the left) and the last 6k run, a month ago, (on the right) for comparison, one done outside, one on the treadmill. You can see the outside one was faster and took less time, even though it was a little bit further. I have to set the treadmill at only 6k or slower to stop myself falling off the end or over the sides, as it's very small. The one advantage in that is my cadence is higher as i have to take veeeery small steps.

To begin with, I thought I would play some music through my iPad to stave off boredom, so I chose a running music list from youtube.. That was the first mistake. I had already started the machine and launched into the session with my Garmin clocking when I realised the volume was way too high. Consequently my ears were blasted with ghastly, tinny musack interspersed with jolly commentary. I really didn't want to go through the rigmarole of stopping treadmill and watch to turn the volume down, so I was stuck with it. Add to that the fact that the treadmill seems to have become a lot noisier, and my torture was boosted by several degrees.

Then there were the gremlins. First they told me not to bother to run today. Then they suggested putting it off till later. then they said i would be mad to run the whole 6k when 3 would do.

I was knackered at 1k, I was knackered at 2k, I was knackered at 3k. At 4k I summoned Michael Johnson from the depths of my subconscious memory. You can do this, you can really do this he crooned. No you can't, chanted the gremlins, just do 3k and wait for better weather. By now you must be feeling tired, cooed Mr Johnson (understatement, Michael old bean, I'm about to collapse), but keep going. So I did, while watching the snow steadily fall, listening to the horrible musack, and clocking up the Ks one metre at a time.

That has to be the most hideously boring hour ever, though the gremlins proved to be endlessly entertaining with their inventiveness: they never gave up right till the last minute of the run, chanting in chorus, you can stop now, every time I managed another kilometre. But really, by the time I had done 5k, it seemed silly not to keep going. I just kept alternating the speed from 5-6k and back, while trying not to look how far I had run till the end of each track. I was dripping sweat, my hair was wet with it (I barely sweat when i run outside) and the pounding of the treadmill belt drove me bonkers.

Now for my Badedas bath, though I totally stink, so if the man on the horse is around, he will turn round and head for the hills at the first whiff of my malodorous clothes...

41 Replies
oldestnewest

Not sure I'd trust the distances measured with the garmin on a treadmill without the ability to use a gps as it can't really measure stride length and can only work with the accelerometer bouncing which isn't great when it's on your wrist. You may well have done far more than 6k and it says you used way more calories than you did running outside up hills.. that's not right. Fantastic effort for putting up with it, you are either mad or keen :)

2 likes

The garmin and the treadmill counters agreed on distance, but they may both be out. I use more calories on the treadmill as it's more effort - not sure why. My heart rate is always in the red zone pretty much the whole time on the treadmill though lack of hills makes my breathing easier. as for mad or keen, probably both ;) Though it's the treadmill or not run at all here. We get the worst of the weather, and once it snows here we have icy pavements for days before it finally melts.

1 like

I guess if they are both the same they must be right. Weird how it's so much harder on there physically. Though maybe running at a constant pace doesn't allow the natural dips and peaks in pace.

1 like

I did vary the pace a bit, but i think it's down to the effort of running on such a short platform, it increases my cadence because I have to take short steps - actually more efficient.

I hit the treadmill on Tuesday and about to do it again today. We have hardly any snow in the Gulf Stream Isle of Man, but the wind is almost too strong to stand up at times

I just visualise the real routes I have done in the past and that seems to work. There is also the Paula Radcliffe method of counting steps - she does that so that while the mind is busy trying to count, the physical actions become submerged, or even forgotten. I have tried that and it sort of works.

1 like

Yep, treadmill is the last resort but the only opportunity in inclement weather. thanks for the Paula Radcliffe tip, i shall try that. It's similar to the mindfulness of breathing meditation technique - give the mind something to focus on.

Well done! Running for nearly an hour on a treadmill is a great testament to your mental strength 😩 And you ran for nearly an hour!!! How fab is that?

Your last paragraph reminds me of a time when I worked really hard in the garden one very hot day and when I came inside to have a drink this bad smell came with me. I kept wondering where it was coming from and then realised it was me 😖 😂

1 like

Thank you, though Im a bit fedup that it took me longer to do 6k than last time!

Haha, yes, that would be the same bad smell that accompanied me round te house. The Badedas put paid to it and Im all clean and sparkling now 😊

Oh bless you! I hate running on the treadmill, but alas, due to the beast I am getting ready to do exactly that right at this moment........

1 like

No choice till the beast departs Im afraid, the pavements out there are treacherous ☹️

1 like

Yes, same here

1 like

I was due to do my 6k today but decided not as we have lots of snow! (So unusual for our East Lothian seaside town! ) I wrapped up warm and went for a brisk walk instead getting caught in blizzard conditions but i could have run! I found myself breaking into a little trot every so often but was careful as I had walking boots on and no support!! I’ll be so glad to get rid of this “beast”!!

Well done for going on treadmill!!😀

1 like

I was tempted to postpone, but it would have pushed everything into next week, and I dont want to lose momentum. Mind you, if I had a Scottish seaside town to walk round, I might have been tempted, blizzard or no blizzard. Arent you right up at the top? Do you have a micro climate there, warmer?

We’re about 30 miles east of Edinburgh. Dunbar, also known as Sunny Dunny as we’re supposed to get the most sunshine in Scotland! In a bit of short supply at moment! Feeling full force of the Beast from the east! It’s relentless!

1 like

Sounds a lovely place. Yes, the Beast doesnt look like letting up any time soon. Boo.

1 like

I would get bored and roll off after 5 minutes on one of those things, so respect.....I bet that bath felt so good, well done 😎

1 like

Lol, I was numb with boredom. Only watching the snow falling and the jackdaws jumping around the roof kept me going. But Im pig headedly determined, so I kept on. And yes, the bath was bliss. As was the glass of Dr Peppers, though dont tell the food police 😳

1 like

Well done.... and I don’t believe in food police. Well deserved

1 like

Thank you kind lady 😊 I dont believe in them either. Since I have a generally healthy vegan diet and am not over weight, Im not going to deprive myself of the odd bag of donuts, sugar down my bra an’ all. Give me cake!

1 like

🤣the joys/torture of the treadmill - like you I find it mind numbingly boring - but needs must 🤨

1 like

My philosophy entirely: needs must. I hate it, but I wouldnt be running at all this week without it! 😊

1 like

Great post Flick... :)

You did really well to stick it out for an hour... I watch virtual runs when I use my Cross-trainer... I have run all over the world :)

1 like

Thank you. Virtual runs, hmm, must look into that!

1 like

There is a great one..

Old Man's Snow Cave.... but since we have plenty of the real stuff here... and blizzard force winds... may choose to watch a warmer run... in France:)

2 likes

Ha! Enough with the snow!

1 like

Well done Flick on your achievement on the treadmill.

Tomorrow I shall also have to do my 6k on my treadmill. I know some times for me the treadmill is harder than other times.

Like you as you know when it snows in the sticks,the lanes etc get icy slippy and now because we’ve loads of snow (like every one else) there’s no way I could have gone running this morning.

Hubby and I tackled the snow whilst walking dogs this morning and I have to say there were a few ❄️❄️drifts.We are blocked in and can’t even get out of village. Never mind we’ve plenty food🥘🍲 prosecco 🥂and beers 🍺 for hubby! yippee!

Anyhoo it was still beautiful and I was able to get some pictures.

Happy running and take care in the snow😀😀

1 like

Thank you 😊 yes, I always find te( treadmill hard, but soemtimes worse than others. I willhave to run on it again tomorrow, which will be all three of this week’s runs. I havent even left te house since it snowed as the pavements are covered in disks of snow concealed ice. My left leg, having been fractured in y teens (femur) isnt up to balancing. Ive had problems keeping my feet when it’s slippery since the accident that broke my leg. Mic’s pretty good on snow and ice, but he took the dogs out individually tonight.

Never mind, go us, treadmills and all xx

1 like

Well just be careful Flick when you do/if go out running in this snow!

And yes go us treadmills and xx🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️❄️❄️

1 like

I,promose I wont be running in the snow😊❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️ Xx

1 like

👍😀xx

1 like

LOL or even promise (typos are me!) xx

1 like

Hee! hee! I blame multitasking,us women are supposedly good at that!😀😀x

1 like

LOL ;)

Lovely post as always Flick.

I don’t envy you spending a hour on the treadmill, I’d sooner cross train.

But you did it, shows your mental strength to spend a hour on one of those things.....well done you 🤗

I’ve heard you’ve copped the worst of the weather in Chippy, as per usual when we have a bit of the white stuff...A44 closed apparently 🙄

Keep it up Flick, you’re doing good 😊

1 like

Thank you Ted 😊 yep, snowed in again. It’s the treadmill again for the 5k run tomorrow.im not looking forward to it. I would use Oldfloss’s virtual run idea, but nowhere to hold the ipad on teh treadmill and no surface near enough for me to watch while running.

I dont teally know what a cross trainer does. Can you run on it?

2 likes

I have a small TV in my studio... :) I know... lucky me ... !

Yes you do, sort of run.... but not as on a treadmill...

JTX Tri-Fit: Extendable Long Stride and Incline Cross Trainer.

This is the one I have...it is a very different style of exercise and in no way replaces running outdoors..but it has its place... and has served me well in inclement weather and after injury.. as well as a cross training accessory :)

1 like

Ah, ok. So the treadmill is better for doing programme runs.

No.. it works on the cross trainer too...

1 like

Cross trainer or Eliptical Machine mimics running without the impact 😊

2 likes

Simply great, when one is recovering from broken ribs :) My legs got so much stronger:)

2 likes

Ah, ellipses, what my Fitbit I used to wear thought I was doing when i was swimming!

You may also like...