Couch to 5K
54,693 members87,187 posts

2nd run of 10 is the Magic Number 10k Plan

2nd run of 10 is the Magic Number 10k Plan

For those of you doing c25k and wondering what happens after, ju-ju- has devised the above plan to get you running 10k in 8 weeks (or longer if you want to repeat weeks and take your time); something to think about once you have consolidated your 30 minute runs and are looking for the next step.

The first week is a 2.5k run, a 5k run and a 5.5k run. I had already done the short run, and, as I woke up early and run best first thing, I thought I would get the longest run out of the way.

Dark, and the wind was blowing a depressing drizzle into my face. Jackdaws squabbling about who should get the driest place on the chimney pots. Pavements wet and shiny underfoot. Passed by the Witney bus, a haven of light and warmth on a cold morning, but not for me. Then several long haul lorries, lit up like Christmas trees.

My inhaler has run out, so burning thighs (which i don't normally get) and labouring lungs for a lot longer than toxic ten. Then, PING, at 33 minutes my lungs opened up and I got the keep on running feeling. When that feeling happens, it's brilliant; suddenly everything looks better. The sky was brightening and a flock of rooks were weaving patterns against grey and silver clouds, threading the light, calling raucously. Birds beginning to sing, and a blackbird flying into the hedge as I passed.

Slow again, but I don't see how that can be any different when I'm doing so much uphill running, including halfway up the one that has a sign saying 6' 6" (no idea what that means, but it's steep). I hit the 5.5k mark at that point and stopped.

Then back to walk the dogs before I ran out of puff and changed my mind.

Just the 5k run to do this week. According to Ming the Merciless (Garmin), everything is improving, including my VO2 Max (which, yes, I know should really be tested on a treadmill, with an oxygen mask, while you drive yourself to near collapse - but it gives SOME indication of progress). So, slow I may be, but legs and stamina are building week on week.

Badedas now - will the bloke with the horse ever arrive???

26 Replies
oldestnewest

Pace seems to be improving. Great run and hardly any calories burned. You must weigh as much as a peanut :O

Is the sign a height restriction for a tunnel/bridge? Though 6' 6" is quite low.

1 like

It's by no means my fastest. i've had average pace 7ish runs, but not on longer runs with steep bits (which can't be avoided over 3k distance). No, it says 6' something 6", but no tunnel or bridge. Can't remember what the middle thing in the sign is, between the feet and inches. It may be a gradient indication, or width. Anyway, It's pretty steep, but I hit 5.5k just before halfway up, so stopped before the top. I normally weigh under 9 stone, but I put weight on with medication before surgery in 2016 and am still losing it, so I'm getting on for a stone more at the moment, which is huge for me as I'm tall but small framed. Actually I think some of that weight is now muscle.

Well excellent running anyways :) I didn't realise you were so fat, so even more impressed now... (joke)

Well done on getting the V02 max to move as well, mine has stayed resolutely on 36 but I got it to go up to 37 when I told it I'd lost a few pounds but it's still well and firmly in the your barely breathing zone.

1 like

Mine has gone from 28 to 31. Which gives me a fitness age of 57, apparently, 14 years younger than I actually am. As for pace, at 71 years old, I'm never going to be as fast as i was at 19, when I had to stop running because of my fractured femur, and I was never the fastest kid at school. Actually the Garmin is very mean with it's VO2 Max. My Fitbit lulled me into an inflated sense of ego by telling me it was 42, and I had the fitness of a 20 year old .. sigh, I wish ...

Well that's pretty good. Mine is 54, 12 years more than my current age. Weirdly it thinks my race pace for 5k should be under 27mins and under 57 for 10k.. ho hum, not bad for a 54 year old. :O

1 like

I wouldn't worry, mine was 79, and the bottom 10% for someone of my age and gender, but it's improved slowly but surely. actually I need to tell it my new lower weight since i started, and see if that makes a difference. Oooh, so many ways to cheat ;)

I read losing weight is the quickest way to make it change lol. It's the only time I have seen it move when I told it I'd lost a few pounds.

1 like

Mine has now jumped downwards to age 55 but is still 31. It says superior, but then says it’s the bottom 10% for my age and gender.i think it’s confused.

I wonder if you go out and do a sprint whether it will improve things. I don't really get the opportunity to do a sprint style run, so maybe I should go out and do some total 100% flat out running over short distances, maybe do some shuttle runs in the park.

1 like

Mine has graduated upwards twice this month anyway. Btw womens is lower than mens. Mine is the top level for my age and gender, looking at various charts. But since neither of us is pushing ourselves to a near death experience, it’s debatable how accurate it is 😉

I have another 10k tonight, so maybe it will be a near death experience :O

2 likes

Lol! Ok Mr I can run 10k, no need to rub it in 😜

That’s brilliant, well done and those hills too 👏

1 like

Thank you :)

Well done Flick week 1 nearly in the bag.

1 like

Thank you. Yes, I might do the 5k in Oxford on Friday, just to have a break from slogging up slopes - though there I have the ignominy of being passed and left behind by various students out running, oozing casual testosterone and loping nonchalently by.

1 like

So very interesting,enlighting and inspiring.Wow.

For now I will remain focused and just dream on.😂😂

All the very best with your journey.

1 like

It’s surprising how quickly you improve after graduation (which was the beginning of january for me). However, as you can see, Im nowhere near completing 5k in 30 minutes!

But gosh your flying.Really impressive.👏👏

1 like

thank you 😊 not quite flying, but my pace and distance are slowly improving and I dont mind running upwards anymore 😉

1 like

No he is here..with me..😊

1 like

You sneaky wench! No wonder Ive got through half a bottle of Badedas since Christmas and not a sighting. What have you got that I havent, except fuscia coloured lycra??? 😥

1 like

Well..... apart from the fact that I am amazingly young for my age...in all ways...) :) ...not sure:)

Your post is absolutely great and you are doing wonderfully...:)

I used one of Ju's plans to do a third repeat of 10K... and will be there again when I have built back up to strength, after the long spell on the IC...The plans are brilliant and a lot of fun...

( Mind, I have to say that tine spent with the Badedas chap is draining me somewhat :)

1 like

Thank you kind lady :)

As for the Badedas man, it's all those horse chestnuts!

How lovely 😊 I did the second run of the plan on a treadmill as the weather was so awful and I was going to do the 5.5k but it was an awful run so I’m pretending it was the short one and I forgot to do the intervals!

Now I’m away for a few days and won’t be running so am waiting till I’m back on Sunday to do the 5.5 but will do the run outside this time.

I actually run more on a treadmill and my times and distances are much better but I want to be running outside as much as possible now.

I did the 5k as a parkrun and it was lovely but I find it much harder. Onwards and upwards 🏃‍♀️😊

1 like

But you did one of the runs! I did the short one first due to tiredness. Because my treadmill is very small, I only use it when it's icy outside. I find it incredibly boring, especially as I don't listen to music when i run. I could watch something on my ipad, but the treadmill is narrow and short so I would probably sail off the end or the sides.

I haven't done a parkrun yet as no local parks and I don't drive, so no chance of joining one.

Here's to spring and better weather! :)

1 like

You may also like...