Couch to 5K
65,342 members β€’ 98,734 posts

Update On My Knee (MCL injury?)

Hi again,

Just a quick update on my knee (you may have read my other post).

Today I broke down in tears at the train museum in York of all places because my knee hurt so much.

Enough was enough, so my partner took me to A&E, i've been thoroughly and painfully checked over and sent home with crutches and from what I can understand I have an MCL ligament injury?

I've been referred to a knee clinic as well. I should get an appointment in about a weeks time.

They said I need to rest, keep my leg elevated when possible and avoid prolonged periods of walking and standing.

I'm glad I went and got it checked out, but I'm a little bummed that my c25k is on hold for the foreseeable future.

But I shall be right back on it as soon as I'm able.

Thank you for all the words of advice on my previous post, if anybody has any new advice now this MCL has been mentioned, please feel free to advise.

Many thanks πŸ™‚

14 Replies
oldest β€’ newest

Lots of rest and make sure you get a doctors approval before returning to running.

1 like

Thank you. I'm tearing my hair out at not being able to be as active as I had became!!

Unfortunately a sports physio is not something that I can afford.

Do what you have been told to do... and maybe think about a visit to a sports physio too...there is some useful info on the BUPA site ..and here..but do not scare yourself! Your injury is most likely not horribly serious.. despite our pain.

livestrong.com/article/3854...

Try to stay positive, the runs will still be there, and hopefully this is something that is going to get sorted :)

Be patient, heal soon , rest up and keep us posted please:)

1 like

Thanks Floss!

Thanks for the link, I've been off this site for a while hence my delayed replies!

I'll post a general reply down below

1 like

I have had MCL omjury on both knees - at different times. First time I had to wait ages to see the physio at the hospital - couldn't run, they gave me exercises to do - mainly to build up my quads in order to take pressure off the knee and the MCL. The exercises did work. So, wjem the same thing happened on my other leg - I didn't even bother going to the physio as I knew what exercises to do.

The first occasion I was not able to tun for at least six months - due to the long wait for the physio, the second knee kept me off the road for maybe 4 months. Both are pretty much OK now, an odd twinge now and them. I also started taking glucosamine - and think that that may have helped somewhat too.

Your knee will heal and you will run again.

2 likes

"Your knee will heal and you will run again"

Brilliant quote - I'm using this to keep myself positive!

1 like

πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘

I'm so sorry to hear this, Kat, and hope it gets better soon. All the more imperative to get properly fitted up with running shoes when you do come back. Meanwhile, huge hugs from all of us x

1 like

Thanks Flick ❀️

Get well very soon Kat x

1 like

Starting to feel a lot better now, I'll be back out there in good time!!

Oh Lord, that sucks :( Really sorry to hear that, it's very frustrating when you've been making progress and then, through no fault of your own, you've got to stop. Hope the pain subsides asap and look forward to when you make it back! :)

1 like

Yep, that's what's annoying me most, is I was doing so well and then BAM, it's like somebody up there said "Oh hey, Kat's been doing well recently, let's put a stop to that!!" πŸ˜‚πŸ˜€

I'll be back πŸ˜‰

1 like

Thanks for all the well wishes guys and girls!

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I've been doing what the doctor ordered and resting (well as much as I can with 3 kids and a life to live!)

I have an appointment at the trauma clinic on 5th March, it was this coming Monday but they cancelled it.

My knee feels A LOT better, I'm walking without my crutches 😁

I haven't run, or even went for an actual planned long distance walk since my Injury though 😬

I'm dying to get back out there, but I'm taking it easy and listening to my body. If I've done too much pottering about during the day, my knee lets me know and I rest the next day etc!

Have to say my partner has been bloody amazing!!! He even proposed to me on Valentine's Day πŸ˜πŸ’!! Thanks Paul 😘❀️

I'm feeling positive about the future, hopefully not too much longer then I can start to build back up.

I need too, I may have gained a few pounds πŸ˜¬πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™€οΈ and lost a few Β£'s too πŸ˜‚

Thanks for all the love, and for everyone still going strong! Well done!! πŸƒπŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸƒπŸ»πŸ’ͺ🏻

2 likes

You may also like...