Couch to 5K
54,909 members87,427 posts

Just a little run today after my 6k effort the other evening:

Just a little run today after my 6k effort the other evening:

Why do i find it so difficult to run during the day, when I feel as if I could go forever early mornings and evenings? And before anyone nags me for pace, I avoided running uphill today , as you can see from the only 10m elevation gain as opposed to 79m the other day, which is why I was faster. Chest is very wheezy today too.

Legs like lead and out of breath the whole run, and was glad to stop after just over 19 minutes. It was fairly cold too. I was out of breath even downhill to begin with. Lovely to see the countryside in daylight though. It snowed briefly this morning, so the distant hills were a kind of smoky white against a blue and grey sky. Very ethereal!

I walked back up the steep hill from by the postal depot. A woman walking just in front of me stopped to catch her breath.

She: I'm ok when I walk up with the dog, but I get out of breath when i do it on my own.

Me (ever mindful of a chance to evangelise): I ran up it on Sunday.

She: Ooh, each to their own. I don't like running.

Me: Because of school?

She: Yes, you won't get me running. Do you run marathons?

Me: Not yet (optimistically!)... (explained about C25K): If you took up running, you wouldn't get out of breath walking up here.

She: Each to their own, you won't get me running.

Me: muttering noncommittally while thinking, drat, another potential convert evaded capture!

Right, into the Badedas zone and wait for Mr Equestrian...again.

23 Replies
oldestnewest

I love an early morning run x

1 like

Me too, but it depends if I wake up in time. If it’s after 6am, the dogs want to go out, then it’s too late to run. Xx

1 like

I am going to attempt a run with one of my dogs this week!!!it will either be brilliant or a total disaster!!!

2 likes

It depends if you have somewhere they can be safely off the lead I guess. We don't here: its all roads or livestock. If I kept mine on the lead they would be sniffing every blade of grass or stopping to wee 😕

1 like

I have purchased a dog running lead so theoretically they cant pull me over...hopefully...& if they are running & its not the time of day they normally "go" i should be ok...only one way to find out 😂

1 like

Oh, i shall look into dog running leads. Mine never stop going, especially Dennis!

1 like

Interesting question...maybe deep in your brain there's a voice nagging you to be doing something else in the day whereas it sees the morning/evenings as free time?

Or maybe it's just something special about mornings and evenings, particularly if there's a low einter sun hitting the trees and lighting them up against the sky...

As for Mr Badedas, careful what you wish for:

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/201...

Ah, definitely not my brain thinking I should do soemthing else. I have no qualms about doing as little as possible at any time. Couch potato me. I do find my chest is worse during the day and wonder if it’s because the dog Im allergic to is in with me or in the hall during te day, but sits in the kitchen with his daddy in the evening. It’s also the time I feel groggy and would fall asleep when I havent slept well at night. Whatever the reason, I havent had one easy run mid morning to mid afternoon.

Haha, just seen the link. I was going to mention the one on the horse is preferable to the duelling blokes in flares, or the floating light orchestra!

I didn't know what Badedas was...although I've been called similar. Having looked up its active ingredients I wonder if Conkers would work as well?

I could be on to a winner here!

1 like

It used to show conker cases, all spikey, on the packaging, or maybe it was on the ads. So when you and the other flared trousered duelist finish fighting with your trusty conkers, you could whip up a Badedas bath - though Karen might not be too amused by you lurking outside women’s bathroom windows.

1 like

Running converts suggestion:-

Maybe you need a tee-shirt with an appropriate phrase, such as :-

If you're wheezing, find out why I am whizzing.

Ask me why my dog is now called Kojak

I am running because Badedas man is waiting...

I am sure there are so many slogans that could work, we just need to work on the best.

In the meantime don't fret about the time of day, when you run you run when it's right and if daytime isn't right, then it's no big deal. Personally I can't/won't do evening runs... no idea why...

Well done Flick on getting out there, no matter the distance you got out of the door

1 like

Ah Kojak dog isn't Kojak yet! Which explains the wheezing...

It had to be this afternoon unfortunately; it was snowing this morning, and I was worried it would be snowing again if I didn't get out there. It really irks me that there is a time of day when I struggle to run. It poses a problem for lovely spring cross-country runs. I will not be beaten on this, it will be one more problem to solve.

Thank you. Yes I got out and ran. I have to. It's an addiction now. Even more of one than lycra 😍😲😳

1 like

We all have good days and bad days

1 like

Yes, but my bad ones ALWAYS happen when I run in the middle of the day.

1 like

I find the same thing, early runs or late ones (after 8pm) are always better than anything during the middle of the day. Maybe it's all in the mind, first thing in the morning or late is either a good start to the day or finish/reward at the end of the day. Midday you've already got stuck into "stuff" and are thinking about the "stuff" you should be doing while you are running or needs doing after the run?

But I dont go out to work, so the only things I have to do are walk and feed dogs, feed cats, shop. I dont have and never have had a work ethic, and most things I do can be done any time of day. When Im writing, I dont have a routine, just settle to it when I feel like it and get absorbed 16 hours a day. I think it’s more bio rythms or how congested my chest is.

2 likes

Yes, it could definitely be your body clock and you'll need to make do with it. You know that it's not the best moment of the day to run for you but in the end, you still manage. So, well done!!

1 like

Thank you. I didnt manage very well. I hate that feeling that my body is letting me down ☹️

Go you.... each to their own, indeed, and isn't our own simply brilliant!

1 like

It just seems such a shame that so many people are put off running by school sports days. I was never fast, usually last in running heats at school (apparently my long legged, thin frame is made for distance not sprint), rubbish at games etc. I didnt discover how much I loved running till after I left school. Schools tend to concentrate on the faster kids, or at least did when I was growing up. There must be thousands of people like that woman, so conditioned by running in their youth, that they are convinced they would hate it, when in fact they would probably love it if they gave it a chance. We are designed to run, it’s natural for us, but that has been distorted for so many of us.

Great post FlickM3! I much prefer running in the morning. I go off into the country lanes and farm tracks and just get lost in my zone......fab!🏃😀

Happy running😀😀

1 like

Thank you! I shall do that in the summer. My last cross country run I was over the tops of my trail shoes in mud and it was almost impossible to stay upright on the slopes because of deep mud and slipperiness.

Happy running indeed. you too x

1 like

You may also like...