Couch to 5K

OMGs, broken the 5k barrier, actually, broken the 6k barrier - at last!!!

OMGs,  broken the 5k barrier, actually, broken the 6k barrier - at last!!!

Woke up at 5am and couldn't get back to sleep, so started the day tired. It's Mr I don't snore I'm not even asleep's birthday, so we went out for brunch with his kids, my kids, his brother and his kids. Four donuts and a portion of chips later, i was feeling fairly stuffed and not at all like running later.

Half of them went on to watch the rugby in a pub, but I came home, slept for two hours then had words with myself about the perils of donut eating if you want to run comfortably. But run i did.

I was determined to break the 5k barrier. I thought I'll run till I feel tired. No point looking at my watch, as can only see the time and other larger stuff without glasses. I finally stopped when Mr I dont snore phoned to see where I had got to. 53.39 minutes and just over 6k later. SIX!!!

Am so chuffed. Off for a Badedas bath now (STILL hoping for the bloke on the horse!).

Feeling amazing. Endocannabinoids and endorphins bouncing around all over the place...

50 Replies
oldestnewest

wahoo!! What was that the other day? "You're ahead of me on distance" pffffft off she goes into the distance (up a hill and presumably down the other side too)...

WELL DONE!

1 like

Aw, thanks. Feeling so happy!

Fantastic! Keep this up and you'll get your 10k the same way I did - went out thinking I'd be happy with 2 miles, decided to run until I wanted to stop running, and ended up doing over 6! (I am NOT advocating this!!).

Seriously well done. Hope you enjoyed the bath - ride those endorphins, lol!

1 like

I am aware I've broken the 10% increase in distance a week rule, but i feel fine :)

!0k here I come (maybe...)

3 likes

Wasn't even thinking about that!!

1 like

Well done - fantastic 😃

1 like

Thank you. It all suddenly seems easier 😊

1 like

Badedas bath well earned, bloke on a horse never ever comes when you want him to

1 like

Thank you. Really pleased 😊

No, typical man, just like buses. I’ll probably have a whole stable full turn up at once.

4 likes

It’s lovely to be so caught up in enjoying the run that you didn’t realise how far you had gone. Glad you enjoyed it. That’s what running is all about. Getting outside and enjoying it. Good for you 🙋🏻

2 likes

Thank you. It’s given me a shot of confidence. This week has been a turning point.

1 like

Funny how with running it seems we struggle for a while with things and then without realising it just comes together and we turn a corner in our journey. It’s a great feeling. Have a great week 😁

1 like

Exactly that. Last week I was stopping my run at the bottom of the steep hill, finding the long slow slog up too much. Now I just do it. I think Im built for distance, not speed. It takes me twenty minutes to get into my stride. Then I seem to just keep going.

1 like

Wow! Congrats to you!! Inspiring.

1 like

Thank you if I can, anyone can 😊

Congrats Flick! I love reading all your posts but this is an extra special one. 🎉

1 like

Thank you, that’s so kind. 5k seemed such a barrier. My daughter managed it in her graduation run, but it’s been eluding me till now.

Wow. Told you!

I am so pleased for you: your success is both well deserved and an inspiration to others.

I fear there will be no stopping you now :)

1 like

Thank you! I just hope I didn't push too much and risk injury, but everything feels fine this morning :)

Very, very well done. You should be very proud of yourself!

1 like

Thank you. I actually am very pleased with myself, though i suspect this is par for the course if you keep running after graduation. :)

1 like

I had a run like this last week. It was after I went out to lunch and had an ice cream sundae. Perhaps donuts and ice cream need to be part of the training plan.

1 like

LOL, I'll second that!

Good god woman you don’t do things by halves! 👏👏👏 Fuelled by 🍩 donuts too. Well done, Flick! But easy does it... make your next run a shorter one. xxx

1 like

Thank you dearest Sadie. No, I'm not known for half measures ;) And yes, I was planning a little 30 minute potter for the next one - maybe even 20 minutes, but if that short I might try to up my pace a fraction....or not. Anyway, i feel energised still this morning, and nothing seems to ache, have seized up or dropped off in the night :)

Phew! xxx

1 like

Yay, well done. I’m a week away from ‘graduation’ but nowhere near 5K yet. You’ve given me hope!

1 like

I only managed 3.40k at graduation a month ago, so you will get there. I'm plugging away running 3-4 times a week. I think consistently keeping at it is the key. The other thing that has helped on one level, though hindered on the other, is having to run the hills. It seemed impossible to begin with, but I have no choice, and it's getting easier and building stamina. Instead of avoiding running up the steeper ones, I'm now choosing to do it. Though it also means my time is longer and my pace slower for the same distance as on the flat.

Congrats on being near graduation. You will be surprised how much you improve over the next week.

1 like

Flick, I missed this...just seen the post on Bridge!

I am so sorry... What a milestone! You did brilliantly, very, very well done...:)

I have this great image of bouncing endorphins:)

PS

The bloke on the horse...think of the mess in the bathroom!!!

1 like

Thank you!

Ah, that elusive bloke. i wasn't going to let him in, just enjoy him decoratively lounging outside my front door ;)

1 like

Superb 🏃‍♀️👏👏👏

1 like

you are very kind :)

Or did you mean the bloke on the horse???

1 like

Fantastic, Flick! I've yet to incorporate hills yet (or get to my 30 mins) so I'm extra impressed - AND you added and extra K in just to show you could. I can see that proud grin from here. Hope you're still buzzing, and have caught up with that sleep now. 😁😁😁😁😴🌞

1 like

Thank you xx

I still feel fantastic this morning.

With the hills, just include them sometimes. I would have done anything to get out of them, but i couldn't, and now i'm glad as they have definitely helped my stamina and my legs. Take it slowly. The really steep ones, I'm probably running at walking speed. You kind of get into a rhythm where you just somehow keep going and they seem to flatten out before you.

I'm about to finish week 8 so plan to graduate on the flat, then start working on hills, distance and speed after that. I'm sure I'll be rabbiting on about that on the other board soon! Oh, and Im also excited at the thought of doing my first park run as well, cos that should be soon and I'm expecting it to be a lot of fun!

1 like

Youre doing great! And I envy you your park run, as no parks here.

What I found helped with hills and slopes was to set small goals: the next lamppost; the gate; that hedge; the house with the white door etc.

1 like

That sounds good ta for the top tips Flick!

1 like

HURRAH!!! ☺☺☺☺☺Well Done Runner!!

1 like

Thank you. Can'y wait to do it again!

1 like

We will run many more happy miles on our own together Flick :)

1 like

We will, 🏃🏼‍♀️🏃🏼‍♀️😊

1 like

:)

1 like

Hey great going flick 😀🏃‍♀️ xx

1 like

thank you !!!

1 like

That’s fab! Well done FlickM3. It’s a great feeling isn’t it when that just happens? Quick question how did you load up your stats onto this site. I have Garmin forerunner25 which is synced to my iPad ,but can’t remember how to bring my results onto here. Can you help please? Thanks.

Anyhoo well done once again ! 👏👏🏃🏃😀😀

1 like

Thank you, it's given me a huge boost of confidence.

I don't think you can load the stats onto here, but i haven't tried. I just take a screenshot on my phone and upload that. I have Strava on the apps list so the runs load straight onto there. Haven't looked into uploading to here. i will investigate.

OK, MaggieT17 looked at third party apps under settings in garmin connect and it shows only Strava, MyfitnessPal and Microsoft Office 365. I can't see any way of adding websites anywhere in Garmin Connect, so i think screenshots are the way to go.

1 like

Yes I did think after that perhaps that’s the way to go. I usually just take a photo of my Garmin after run so I think that will have to do.

Many many thanks for your quick reply ! Have a great day and.....

Happy running😀😀x

1 like

here is another option - seems very convoluted though: bit.ly/2EIEYzN

Thank you FlickM3! Going running now so will catch up with that after I have conquered more hills in my little village hee! hee! 🤪🤪

1 like

Have a great run and post on here and tell us all about it!

You may also like...