Couch to 5K
63,831 members96,863 posts

Visit to the asthma nurse, with surprising results:

I struggle to breathe sometimes when I'm running; my chest is congested and my legs feel like lead. I've been prescribed a salbutamol inhaler to use before a run, but sometimes it doesn't really help. Other times, like very early morning, it's a lot better.

So the asthma nurse tested my peak flow this morning, and it was abysmal, well below 200, which is apparently pretty bad. She made a second appointment for this afternoon with the intention of administering more tests, which would take some time. The intention was to then probably prescribe a type of drug used for asthma in sports.

After the second of several tests, she looked at the results and said, with considerable surprise that my readings were above normal (as in very good) by quite a bit. Conclusion, it's something in the house I'm allergic to, and walking round Oxford for hours had cleared my chest and opened my airways.

The culprit is almost certainly our collie/arctic dog. The reason I'm better with a very early morning run is that he doesn't come upstairs, (though the cats and the other dog do), so I'm going out of the house before I've breathed much of his allergens into my system.

Conclusion, I'm not asthmatic. Advice: clip the dog and run early mornings. Not sure what his daddy will say to his darling boy having his posh pants and ruff removed.

But it's a relief to find out my breathing is normal when not exposed to allergens.

24 Replies
oldestnewest

The dog needs to take one for the team!

1 like

The dog should be out on a mountain herding sheep, or pulling a sledge through the snow!

Oh wow!!!glad you got it sorted...i am sure your dog wont mind too much

1 like

He won't, but his daddy will go into public mourning!

2 likes

Haha 🤣😂

1 like

Fancy that, Mr JCR's asthma is brought on by cats (not dogs funnily enough) and cowhide, as we found out when wandering through a carpet place. And his condition had been exacerbated by years of being a road warrior in the car. The GP said it was fairly common for middle aged onset asthma. Sounds like a Kojak collie is on the cards... But on the upside you're not asthmatic and that has to be great news

1 like

Wow, cowhide! Does that include shoes, belts etc? I've never heard if that before. We have two cats and two dogs, but I've had the cats nearly 18 and nearly 19 years respectively, and at one time I had five of them, and no breathing problems. It seems to be worse since the soon to be Kojak arrived 9 years ago.

Sorry Flick missed this one - the cow hide is when it is hairy, like on rugs and things, not the suede underside of belts and shoes - but then I've never found Mr JCR sniffing his belts or shoes, and if he was I think he'd have a bigger problem than just an allergy!

Bizarrely - cow hide an issue - reindeer skin not, as we found out a few years back at the Ice Hotel when we found that we had to sleep on reindeer skins, and thought it could be a problem and it wasn't at all.

Allergies huh - very individual things.

1 like

Ah, yes, I didnt see how it could be the skin itself. Does that mean deer hide is ok too, as reindeer are deer

This is great news... not for the soon to be shorn dog..but for you.. wonderful!!!

Besides... with a name like Kojak????? What's the problem... :)

Just look at the dog.. and say....

" Who loves ya Baby " :)

3 likes

Thank you, it's a relief!

His real name is Dennis (and yes, he is a menace).

Love it.... still good news on your asthma, Flick!

1 like

Thank you. I'd felt kind of despairing, like whatever I did, there would always be a kiss d of walk there. Now I feel liberated.

1 like

Yikes, thanks autocorrect. What I actually put was there would always be a wall there

Poor Dennis! Glad you have some answers though!

1 like

I think it will be a relief for Dennis, especially when summer comes. His daddy, however, will probably have a nervous breakdown.

1 like

To be honest we shave our collie and she look amazing. We are never going back to her ruff because of the hair shedding.

1 like

They just shed the whole time. I semi clipped him myself last year and Mic was horrified. He did eventually agree to have him clipped, but everyone was booked up. Hopefully soon, as the thickness of his coat bothers him in summer - he is part husky or Spitz (he has a silly curly tail) and the thick, fluffy, greasy undercoat seems to be the main problem.

I'm across the pond so don't know if they have it there, but I'm allergic to most everything under the sun and have had great luck with a daily dosage of Xyzal, which is now over-the-counter here. I think it's especially geared toward pet allergies, which I have, along with dust, mold, weeds, grass, you name it. There's also a topical you can wipe on the dog called Allerpet-D which will neutralize his dander. (There's a similar one for cats called Allerpet-C.) Best wishes!

1 like

Thank you for this. I will pass on the medication as I'm allergic to antihistamines (they make me unable to coordinate, but the pet wipe sounds interesting.

Oh no! Well, great news... but not for Dennis :D I'm really pleased you don't have asthma. Hopefully Mr. Flick will be pleased you don't have asthma...?

1 like

Thank you x

Haha, Mr Flick is more worried about his baby boy losing his posh pants and Pre-Raphaelite locks 😳

What a clever nurse to have worked that all out!

1 like

She had some very impressive digital gadgets to help her 😊

You may also like...