Couch to 5K
73,850 members β€’ 105,767 posts

Frosty moon morning & I'm running further and faster.

Wow, that moon was huge and bright. The frost on the cars and pavements was sparkling like a million diamonds. It was below freezing, the sky was crystal clear and studded with whopping great stars, yet there was a hint of spring ; that change in the quality of the air, an uplifting feeling, and, when the dark began to recede, a luminous quality to the incoming morning.

I was unsure about running this morning because of my recent breathing problems, but today was better. In fact my time and pace have increased. -2 out there. Elevation gain 35 metres, which doesn't sound much but is quite a steep hill that I slogged halfway up at the end of the run, then ran out of steam and walked the rest. i could have slogged on. Perhaps I should have slogged on. Next time I will. but I am ever mindful of not pushing too hard and too far so soon after graduation. Time 39.11min, pace 8.59min/km, best pace 6.40min/km, av cadence 145spm, max cadence 156spm (needs working on).

I hope people don't mind me posting so often. It's kind of like keeping a journal - but I wouldn't bother to do it if it were a journal - it helps me keep a record and get some perspective on how things are going.

I feel on top of the world now :)

Oh, and I have a bid on my too small Brooks Ghosts on eBay. I'm getting on so much better with the On Cloud and On Cloudflyer shoes.

30 Replies
oldest β€’ newest

Very glad to hear you had a successful run this morning...frosty runs are my favourite ones 😊

1 like

Was amazing. Off to have a badedas bath now (still hoping the bloke on the horse will turn up after and carry me away like the ads used to promise).

1 like

Haha...you never know πŸ˜‰

1 like

Great to hear you're recovered some breath and again what a glorious skyline! It's pretty nice over here as well (sunnn!!! there've been so few sunny days) but I'm stuck at my computer, have to get some work done. If I'm doing well, I'll try to go for a run this afternoon after class as rain is forecast for tomorrow. Enjoy post run relaxation!

1 like

Sunny here too but very cold. we don't seem to be able to have one without the other here! Enjoy your run later x

What a lovely post Flick. Great run but don’t beat yourself up about walking halfway up a hill, it’s only a training run and I’ve done it in the past 😊 As long as you’re moving forward.

As for your postings, keep them coming. I like a good read. Vassos Alexander has a log of every run he’s done over several years.... you should read his book, brilliant read 😊

amazon.co.uk/Dont-Stop-Me-N...

1 like

Thanks Ted :)

Well, I made it the end of the run once I began to walk. I figured nearly 40 minutes was enough at my stage, especially as my distance is increasing and it's supposed to be only 10% a week.

Thanks for the link. I'm seriously considering writing a journal style book on running. I did the same with my experiences of Paganism very many years ago and they did well - though i wrote the books initially to help people.

1 like

I have read that book too, it’s very good. An interesting way of finding out about running. You definitely could write that journal. Your post is a delight

1 like

Oh, thank you. I am published, but not in that field, so it would be a matter of finding the right outlet.

Meanwhile I have ordered a used copy of that book from Amazon.

Yes, please do write the journal! It would be brilliant, I'm sure, and a lovely way to accompany your running.

Sounds a really good, satisfying run Flick πŸ˜ƒπŸƒπŸΌβ€β™€οΈ

1 like

I feel on top of the world now. the worst thing about this running addiction is having to wait to do it again. I'm sure addicts of other things don't have this problem ;(

Great post, and don't worry about posting too much. You gave us a lovely story and fab pictures :) I'v not been able to run since last tuesday, due to lurgey and a house move. But have still been lurking when I can and hope to get out the door tonight.

Lovely to see your distance increasing and to hear you are getting on top of your battles :)

1 like

Aw, thank you x

Bad timing, lurgy AND house move. We did all that 19 months ago after I'd just had major surgery. Not to be recommended. Rest up and get better. House moving is the pits, really takes it out of you :(

You did better than me Flick. I was going to go for my run this morning but decided on lunchtime instead - brrrrrr! Sounds like a lovely run though. You keep posting. I think for undergraduates and graduates alike it's great to hear how people are doing.

1 like

Enjoy your run later :)

I have to admit a large part of why I post is to encourage people still doing the course. I LOVE reading about how other people are doing, it's motivating.

2 likes

No, don’t mind us πŸ˜ƒπŸ‘

Yeah you’re right not to push too much! No rush.

Badedas for me too at the moment. Having mine later. It’s run day πŸ’ͺπŸ‘πŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

1 like

Has the bloke on the horse turned up for you? Maybe that's why he hasn't shown up here :(

Yeah he’s here I’ve just got the kettle on. I’ll despatch him toot sweet

Hi ho Silver, away

clippetty clop 🐴

3 likes

LOL

Beautifully written account, you are obviously enjoying your running.

1 like

Loving it. I run for the joy of running. Fitness is a fringe benefit 😊

1 like

YES! This is EXACTLY how I feel about it.

1 like

Im glad you understand. So many people run primarily to get fit, and some of them don't even enjoy it. If I did it for that reason, I think I would soon get bored.

Sounds like a wonderful way to start the day, and it's great to hear you are making progress. It's good news that the shoes are working well for you.

I think if some bloke rocked up on a horse and tried to pluck me out of the bathtub he would rue the day! :)

Oh, that made me chuckle. I'm still hoping 😍😍😍

Am in love with the shoes. Also the Asics fujirado trail shoes. I'm resisting the urge to buy more!

I know that moon πŸŒ“. Good running πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ‘

1 like

Twas an amazing moon. Like daylight in our loft bedroom last night.

Great writing Flick! More please! You are getting close to the big 5K now!

Thank you. Yes, it’s exciting. Inching closer bit by bit 😊

You may also like...