Couch to 5K
65,161 members β€’ 98,465 posts

A very muddy cross country run

A very muddy cross country run

I don't know about panthering ju-ju-, this was more like wart hogging. I was out for about 45 minutes, and part of that was where I was forced to walk because the mud was literally ankle deep and perilously slippery. My breathing still isn't right either, really congested chest and I was panting even downhill.

But it was a lovely run for all that. Snowdrops out, rooks flocking, a red kite over the treetops. When I got back on the road, I was passed by a grey haired, bearded runner who looked to be in his sixties. He was coming the other way and raised his hand in greeting as he passed. then a tree surgeon engaged me in conversation, saying how sorry he was to have had to cut down the trees you can see burning in the bottom left pic. Apparently they were dying of old age and rotten at the base, so dangerous as very near the road. They are going to plant oaks to replace them.

So a beautiful day, sunny and breezy with a hint of spring in the air.

I shall be making a doctor's appointment tomorrow to look into my breathing as it's getting me down. Even the inhaler isn't helping much and my chest is wheezy and rattly. I was fine last week: this week I'm running with difficulty and it makes me feel robbed and disempowered.

I'm very glad i went though. I can see so much opening out in the near future.

36 Replies
oldest β€’ newest

Hope you get your chest sorted πŸ˜•

1 like

Thank you. Its getting me down. I was fine last week, ran for nearly 40 minutes without stopping or walking, and didn't get out of breath. Now I can barely manage.

1 like

Its very,very frustrating when illness hits...its totally out of our hands & 9 times out of 10 theres no quick fix!!!i always find it all the more frustrating as we have all worked so hard to get to where we are so any setbacks seem alot worse!!!hopefully you will.get some relief soon x

1 like

Well, you've had more than your share of setbacks with it. I really hope I wont be out of action for aslong as you were, and kudos to you for coming back and getting stuck in again - I bet a lot of people would have let it all slip and given up. But, yes, it’s so annoying, especially as the breathing thing is on and off ongoing. I need to get it looked into further. At the very least I need the spacer others have suggested, that delivers the inhaler stuff into your lungs, not the back of the throat. Ah, well, we shall see 😊

1 like

Yes definately...my mum has had asthma for a long time & she uses one every day...inhalers are a bit useless if the stuff doesnt get where it needs to go.i have very mild asthma & have to use ventolin every once in a while but have found that since i have been running...3rd time round...it has improved alot!!!

For some reason this running thing has really got under my skin & i a determination that i didnt know i had has appreared out of nowhere!!!

I.originally started doing it to try & help with depression...which it totally is...but it has become so much more than that now!!!

I really hope you get sorted soon...in the meantime...you have put in more than enough hard work for it to not set you back so try not to worry x

2 likes

My chest had almost cleared with the running, till this week. I vaguely wonder if I have a chest infection, but I havent had that under the weather feeling I get when Im coming down with something.

The running is certainly addictive. I run for the love of it, but I can feel the other benefits too. Im lucky that I never get depressed, but I can see how the endorphins produced would help with depression.

And thanks, Claire, I really appreciate your support x

1 like

No problem hunny 😊 hope its sorted for you soon x

1 like

Hope it sorts... you are doing amazingly even with this problem :) x

Looks like a great adventurous run 😊

1 like

It was lovely to be out in the fresh air, running through the landscape, noticing so many amazing things. Everything is waking up round about now.

1 like

Wart-hogging sounds like my kind of running.

1 like

You would love it then πŸ˜‰ The mud was over my ankles, and was liquid round various gates. I passed a girl who was walking and she told me she had slipped in it and fallen over.

Looks like a wonderful run. I’m envious. Hope you get your breathing sorted soon x

1 like

Despite the chest thing, it was amazing. Will be even better when warmer weather arrives and the mud dries out! And thank you 😊

1 like

Wonderful and super photographs too... well done you!

Warthogs definitely rule!!

Hope your appointment goes well and you get sorted out.. I am off to see the physio this week too :)

1 like

Thanks Oldfloss

I was REALLY sorry to hear about your injury. That's far worse than my breathing issues. Hope you get it sorted. It's so frustrating not being able to run. xx

1 like

Isn't it... talk about an attack of the grumplies... !!

Not even running related... but, we hang in there don't we...? xx

1 like

Youre entitled to some grumplies 😊

1 like

I had a rough one today Flick...very much like yours, reminiscent of school cross- country. Roads hereabouts are a wet, dangerous and muddy mess so half of run was across fields: sounded a good idea when I dreamed it up. Utterly energy sapping, reduced to almost walking speed in places and made worse by a very strong wind: it is very open here and the combined effect of wind and mud was demoralising. Went end over apex when I lost my footing on a squelchy verge: that knocked a bit of breath out of me. At least it was sunny. I had intended to do my 7k for the week but called it quits at six. At least I got to rescue a sheep entangled in a fence: if I had a cc of breath for every sheep I have pulled out of stuff in my life, I would be a World class athlete...they do have a very special gift of finding ways to kill themselves. I farmed sheep for many years but am still amazed by their prowess at self destruction.

1 like

very open up on the hills here too. I was running against the wind, but luckily downhill at the time. But well done for keeping going. Im afraid I was forced to walk when the mud became too slippery and then liquid. My shoes weighed four times as much.

Are you wearing proper trail shoes? I have the Asics Gel Fujirado, and the soles are amazing. Very lightweight and durable on tarmac too.

Oh, sheep, my ex and I spent half an hour rescuing one from a stream where it was stranded on its back. Up to our knees in freezing muddy water, and he had to buy a new watch after.

Well, we both kept going, and I felt amazing after the run.

1 like

No, trail shoes are my next project: will catch the charabanc to Shrewsbury when Karen is on half-term in February. I need to try shoes on as I have feet considerably wider than the broadband bandwidth hereabouts...it is because we are bred to these bogs you see...stops us sinking. Good for squashing the plastic in the recycling boxes too.

2 likes

Hobbit πŸ˜‚

2 likes

I just don't know how you two manage: I'm bowing to your muddy determination ;-) Today I just ran across 5 metres of muddy ground after 20 mns of running and felt like I was stuck to the ground!! So carefully avoided any other very muddy patches after that. I can't imagine the energy you spend each time you're crossing the bogs or running the muddy tracks uphill. Amazing!

1 like

Trail shoes make all the difference :)

Hummm, you're too modest.

Wooow, what gorgeous pictures! I understand your love-hate relationship with those hills around you, but how I wish I could go for a run in such a beautiful place at least once in a while (even if I would be unbale to run up the hills). Unfortunately the countryside around where I live is so flat (flatter that ould be polders in Netherlands, not far). You need to drive a good 200 mns on the motorway to get a little bit of elevation (50 m for the highest hill lol!! And from there on a clear day you can see the horizon from Lille to Dunkirk).

So well done for your run! I hope your breathing will get better soon though and you'll be able to master those slopes in no time.

1 like

oops, key mistakes, ould is a would and 200 is of course 20 mns

1 like

Ah, I didn't manage to run UP many today because that was often where the worst mud was. I did find a long, sandy track, and that was mostly downhill and not too muddy. It's silly really but I feel a bit of a failure finding the slopes so tough today. Last week i was confident, but this week I've found it hard because the out of breath feeling begins the MOMENT I start running.

We should do a swap for a week, then you can "enjoy" the hills an I can thoroughly enjoy the novelty of running on flat ground! I used to live in Brittany, but that was quite hilly too.

And thank you. i really appreciate the support and encouragement.

Swap week!! That's a brilliant idea! I've got a better idea: come for a weekend in the northern flat parts of France and then you can introduce me to the hills of Shropshire... But first you need to rest and get that breath again. Hope your GP will have a solution.

1 like

You're on, but It's Pm3eak who lives in Shropshire, but has no hills where he is. I'm in Oxfordshire, in the Cotswolds. Yes, MUST get the breathing sorted!!!! x

1 like

Sorry for the mix-up. I've never been to either but from your posts and pictures, both countries are worth the trip... Get well soon!

2 likes

Thank you xx

Hope the doctor can sort you out soon. Ready for the better weather.

1 like

Thank you. It's such a nuisance. i was fine last week, and now I feel feeble :(

1 like

You’re certainly adventurous Flick, I’ll give you that. I have no intention of doing the trails til the Spring, I hate having soggy feet 😬

Sorry about your breathing problem but glad you’re still enjoying the runs πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ˜Š

1 like

my feet were bone dry, despite being submersed. The Fujirados aren't waterproof but they are well on the way. Not sure I want to squelch my way round, slipping and sliding, again till it's drier though :)

1 like

You may also like...