Couch to 5K

w8/r3 do I count this or not?

w8/r3 do I count this or not?

What masochistic urge sent me out in wind, mud and rain to celebrate my 71st birthday? My pretty turquoise and pink Wave riders are a muddy mess (see pic). This is where I'm glad I have two pairs of running shoes, because they are going to take two or three days to dry out properly! I also have to say I just find mid morning runs very tough, I don't have the energy and stamina that I have first thing or early evening. This run was a struggle

Well, the usual cockups. I did my warmup walk, then forgot to set my Garmin till I was halfway down New Street and a few minutes into the run. I turned off along the lane leading to the church. Mine are road shoes, so I was a bit unsure about using them off road, but the track was ok, just a bit of mud with rotting leaves, then tarmac through the start of the church grounds..

So, through the muddy graveyard past dripping yew trees and the castle mound, then along the gravelled track towards the Over Norton road. So far so good I thought. Spoke too soon. They are building the track up and one of the blokes working on it asked me to go round the track itself. No way of running uphill through tangled, hummocky ground, so forced to walk a few yards.

Then through the gate and up the muddy path through the woods. This is where things got interesting. Mud nearly ankle deep and slippery as hell, along with undulating terrain. In the end i was forced to walk again for several minutes, and painfully slowly at that, slipping, sliding and hanging onto the fence, till the track came out onto the Over Norton road and I turned back towards Chipping Norton. Where I watched in awe as a young woman surged up the very steep road to Over Norton village, barely slowing her pace. I hate her!

Back home now, soaked to the skin despite my water resistant running jacket, so it's a hot bath for me in a minute.

So my question is: with the enforced walking, does this count as a run, or do I count it as a practice run, and repeat it before moving onto week 9?

32 Replies
oldestnewest

Flick M3, what an admiration you are!!! And what a challenging route ! We all have good and bad runs.... personally I wouldn’t discount this one and just move on, as by this stage you already know what you are capable of !!!!

Next run week 9 will be effortless, just try and find a route where you may encounter less obstacles if possible !!

You got this !!

3 likes

LOL, yes, I will stick to the roads next time i think. Roll on spring!

1 like

Happy birthday !!! And I would say what Jan above me had said. Whats a few yards ey ;) Good luck with week 9.

Thank you :)

1 like

Happy birthday :) I think that more than counts - sounds like you deserve a medal too! A little bit of inadvertent training for a Grim challenge.... Perhaps that could be your next goal after c25k?!!

1 like

LOL, we shall see. and thank you! x

1 like

At 71 years of age your an inspiration to us all. 😁 im sure you will still be running at 91 😄 keep up the good work.all the best

1 like

Aw thank you. Much appreciated. I feel my age on the hilly bits though. I don't know how Oldfloss does it.x

2 likes

Slowly!!!! xx

2 likes

Haha, yes Mum, point taken. I was certainly slow today ,😇xx

1 like

Move on, you're well up with the programme..

Nice shoes! Mullticoloured, Blue, pink and mud!😁

1 like

Thanks I will. Yes cool shoes, the mud bits are best but perhaps not aerodynamic 😜

1 like

Dear FlickM3, You are AMAZING! That was a run for your birthday!! If you carry on like this, you're going to be ready not for the "ordinary" park runs, but for trail races!!!! You've had the hills and now you're doing it in the mud...

Of course, W9 is going to be nothing as hard: you'll do the runs "fingers in the nose" as we say in a familiar way in French, easy-peasy. Happy Birthday!

2 likes

Haha, fingers in the nose, I like that! And thank you xx

Happy Running Birthday! You sound totally ready for week 9 and in fact ready for all sorts of running challenges! Very glad you didn't slip :)

1 like

Thank you! I'm glad I didn't slip too x

Happy birthday 🍰 and well done on not slipping or giving up! Enjoy-your hot bath and the rest of your day

Liz x

1 like

Thank you x

Happy Birthday to You

What a great thing to do

Your shoes covered with mud

They're looking so good

Your running, so quick

Happy Birthday Dear Flick x

What a wonderful post, and very, very well done you... it sounds muddily marvellous!!!

Have a lovely Day!

Flossx

2 likes

That made me smile. Thank you. Not so much of the quick today though...you would be proud of my slothful pace xx

1 like

Well... we all find our own happy pace.. I did a very slow run this morning.. flood water and puddles at every turn!!

1 like

Too slow and my knee hurts. I do my best. I'm not a very good judge. Though my VO2 max is gradually nudging up from abysmal to pathetic x

2 likes

Happy Birthday Flick - 10 out of 10 for effort - I'd move onto week 9 without doubt - I mean those shoes look like a professional runner's :)

1 like

Thank you 😊yes, Im going to, it’s only two more minutes after all 😊 x

1 like

That sounds like a run done to me! Many happy returns, Flick! Hope your shoes recover!

Sadie-runs x

1 like

Thank you! The shoes are looking very sorry for themselves ☹️ X

Happy Birthday!! 🎉🎁

I think you deserve a medal for that run!! Love your bright trainers even with mud on!! 😀x

1 like

Thank you. Shoes are still very wet! X

Happy Birthday! What a way to celebrate!

1 like

Thank you 😊

All that slipping and sliding in the mud probably took more energy than running on firm ground, so I’d count it.

Happy Birthday!

1 like

Haha, yes, I never thought of that! 😂

1 like

You may also like...