Couch to 5K
54,632 members87,121 posts

W8/R2 out in the wind & rain

W8/R2 out in the wind & rain

Moving time 28.7mins, distance 3.18km, average pace 8.52min/km, best pace 6.34min/km, average heart rate 149bpm.

Very wild out there this morning. Coupled with the ubiquitous uppy/downy bits (see pic), I am once again the red faced panting thing.

Up the steep hill to the top of the Green for my warmup walk, then off running round the estate with the wind against me, down into central Chipping Norton, along Spring Street, then steeply downhill past the alms houses to the church. Nobody around, hardly any cars. For the first few minutes i missed my gloves, despite it being really mild out, as the wind cut through my hands like the proverbial knife. The first ten minutes were tough, then I began to settle into a steadier, less panting pace, and the very steep bits were less of a struggle.

Back home all sweaty and wet haired.

I do find it tiring running with all these ups and downs though. Sometimes it nearly puts me off going out. I would like to settle into enjoying the runs more than I sometimes do because of this. I've tried slowing right down to almost walking pace, but that just makes my legs feel like lead and my bad knee ache a bit and doesn't help the breathing. I also find it hard to get the distance because the hilly bits are slowing me down.

But I did it and feel energised now. Onwards and upwards and downwards and upwards and downwards and...

...and only four more runs to graduation. Gosh!

28 Replies
oldestnewest

Well done for getting out there. You are doing great. You’ll be picking up that graduation badge in no time 🙋🏻 Off for a run with my friend at 10 😀

1 like

Thank you. Yes, not long now. My daughter graduated yesterday. Enjoy your run :)

1 like

Fantastic. Lovely to be doing it at the same time as your daughter. 👍

1 like

though not actually with her as she lives too far away, but she inspired me to get out and do it when I'd been contemplating it for a long time :)

Great run, my friend...:) You are doing so well, with all the undulations... I actively avoided any this morning...:)

Getting so close now, the badge is being polished :) Exciting times:)

1 like

Thank you. i wish i could actively avoid them sometimes, just to see what it feels like...ah well...

My daughter graduated yesterday, which was inspiring

Well done👍hills as well as windy conditions that says to me a serious committed runner😊Countdown on to the grand finale...bet you are feeling great that graduation so close now😊what a great way to start 2018.

1 like

Thank you 😊 Yes, it seems just round the corner. Debating whether to run day after to orrow, which is my birthday. I usually run in the evening, but we’re going out to eat.

O go for it! Great start to birthday celebrations 😊 im debating my first parkrun tomorrow but it depends if icy conditions change as Saturdays one was cancelled!

1 like

I will try. People arriving during the day and I refuse to get up in the dark to celebrate being 71 (yikes, how did that happen, I can remember being 18 and running, 😳)

Well my goodness i take my hat off to you 71 & graduation looming AMAZING 😊huge well done im 61 in July and never ran before either😂girl power😂😂

1 like

Yay girl power! There have been people older than us x

1 like

Oh, and I hope the weater is kind to you for the park run. We had snow here earlier in the week but all gone now and incredibly mild: 9 degrees out twre this morning.

Its a bit better here too damp & 4degs but yesterday was really icy! Heres hoping & I don’t celebrate too much tonight😂

1 like

Lol, hard to avoid

Well done on getting so far. Remember every run is a good run. Youve done amazing

1 like

Aw, thanks 😊

Great work, Flick! I am full of admiration for you (to date, I am an avid hill avoider, meticulously planning every route to avoid anything other than a mild incline.) You will graduate so soon!

By the way, I read "Running Like a Girl" by Alexandra Heminsley in just 2 days and loved it. It has really inspired me!

Have a lovely birthday! Age is but a number, especially for a runner such as yourself. 🏃‍♀️😀

Sadie-runs x

1 like

Youre so lovely! Thank you. Wish I could avoid the uppy downy bits too ☹️ Though I hope they will enable me to smugly power past everyone else when I get to do a park run...well a girl can dream...

I read it in two days too. Very inspiring and she is so prosaic and down to earth about it all. Some bits made me snort with laughter.

Thanks for birthday wishes too. TBH I dont feel 71, and when I look in the mirror without my glasses I always think how young I look (bit of a shock when I put them on and look 😳😟) xx

1 like

I must tackle some uppy downy bits soon - once my pesky hamstring is all healed I will. It is very good for the old cardio vascular stuff I believe.

That's exactly what I loved about the book, too! Beautifully honest, it was. I also loved the potted history of female runners in the back too. I am still aghast at the fact that women couldn't enter the Boston Marathon (legally) until 1972! WTF?!

And lastly, I think you are beautiful, Flick. There is beauty in every decade of life and I tell myself that with every new line and grey hair I find. 😀 I hope to still be running and looking as good as you when I hit 70! Many happy returns.

Sadie-runs x

1 like

Yes, that shocked me too, about the female runners.

Imreally dont mind being an old bat! And you are lovely to say such nice things. Im lucky to have good genes and be able to run and be active.

Im rooting for you that your hamstring is healed soon. I would hate being restricted now that Im well into running.

Go us 😊 xx

1 like

Well done I am in awe of you running those hills, I know I can't do it!

Looking forward to hearing about your graduation run 👏

1 like

Thank you! You would be able to if you had to. No choice for me. I dont manage them all that well, i really puff up them wishing the time would magically jump to 28 minutes!

1 like

Danker me: you've done it again. There I was, supping tea while listening to the howling wind and thinking, ' Nope, rougher than a Badger's nappy out there: I think I will run tomorrow '. Then I see that you have been out there and done it already. Shamed me into it you have...I'll get me shoes.

Plus, Karen went yesterday and came back from same run as me with barely raised breathing and only a hint of pinkness in the face. Her Garmin revealed that she is much faster than me, has better cadence, has much better VO2 thingummy and slower heart rate. I can only deduce it is because she is 3 months younger than me...plus being over seven stones lighter probably helps a bit.

Anyway, let's do this!...

...but of course the dogs need walking first...bird feeders filling...greenhouse checking...

Fabulous effort! The wind and rain were awful today so all the more impressive! 71!! My hat is well and truly doffed madam 👏👏

Good luck for the rest of your C25K journey, the end (and beginning 👍😁) is within reach, cyber high five & hug waiting for you 😉

1 like

Aw, you are very kind. Looking forward to that high five and hug 😊

1 like

Ha, excuses excuses. I came back then we walked the dogs. And Ming the Merciless on my wrist is STILL telling me to move on an hourly basis. I told him I thought I'd moved enough for one day, but he doesn't agree. Not very polite about it either. My Fitbit used to coax me like an ageing lothario tempting a moneyed dowager: not Mr Garmin, he just says Move. Anyone would think this was boot camp. I shall turn him off if he's not careful!

So get those running shoes on! My VO2 max is gradually improving and so will yours! Go pmatev

1 like

Aaaggg message above was for Pm3eak but it filled the wrong name, and attempts to delete it result in a perpetual edit loop, so sorry pmatev whoever you are 🤔

You may also like...