Couch to 5K
52,992 members85,072 posts

6/3 didn't manage it

The pavements were clear enough to run. Went out, ran for 6.46 minutes. Legs like lead, totally out of breath. Realised I had forgotten to use my inhaler. Came back and used it. Set out again. Ran for 5-8 minutes: realised i had forgotten to set my Garmin. i wasn't using the app as I wanted to time only the 25 minute run, and stopping and starting watches and phones was too complicated, but i listened to the app first so knew what to do. Ran for just under another 3 minutes and had to give up.

I don't know if i had eaten too close to running, and i think I probably wasn't completely over the labyrinthitis, so lesson learned there. Only managed about 15 minutes altogether, so I will leave it a day or two and repeat this run.

However, my times are faster now I'm not timing the walking bits, which was a pleasant surprise as i had thought I was walking faster than i ran. My average pace before was around 10k/m. Today it was 7.57k/m with fastest time 6.26 so am pleased with that (note to mentors, i wasn't trying to go fast and in fact was struggling).

Wish me luck for next time. i have to say it's slightly dented my confidence not to be able to complete a run, but i guess i have to put it down to circumstances. I think maybe having that nice Mr Johnson cheer me on and encourage me is a good thing, so maybe i will have to juggle watches and apps after all.

One annoying thing: this is the third version of this I've had to write. Highlighting a typo to correct it sometimes results in the whole post disappearing if you write it on anything but a physical keyboard.

25 Replies
oldestnewest

Oh no...how frustrating for you!!!some days are just like that!!!try not to be too disheartened...if you are not 100 % over the labrynthitus that will most definately affect your energy levels!!!plus the cold air makes it all much harder.fingers crossed next time it will all run smoothly x

1 like

Aw, thanks Claire. I have to admit it has dented my belief in myself a bit. Im beginning to think Iimagined that easy 20 minute run at the end if week 5, since I cant seem to manage 5 minutes without struggling now. Feeling rather sorry for myself 😢

1 like

Ah bless you lovely...i know exactly how you feel!!!its all fun & games while its going well but the second it didnt go quite right the other day(its not like i didnt finish it even as i did it without stopping just not in any sort of non-dying way!!!)it really got to me!!!we are naturally far too hard on ourselves by nature.however this means that we are also very determined which is a good thing 😊 you are doing brilliantly...be proud xx

Thank you Claire, I needed to hear that xx

1 like

Anytime sweetie 😊 i am exactly the same & my own worst enemy.you are doing great xx

1 like

Obviously just not your day with technology. It will all come right next time but maybe don't worry about the measuring and concentrate on the app till you graduate.

2 likes

yeah, you may be right. Thanks :) It was just the post about whether people recorded the walk part of the sequence or not got me thinking.

I don't record anything mainly because I hate having to carry stuff. I do Park run 2 or 3 times a month so can see any progress and know I am keeping fit. For the rest of my runs I just go out and run for fun.

2 likes

I'm afraid I'm a terrible geek. computers, phones,, cameras trackers. totally love the technology and am endlessly fascinated by the results of my runs and swims, even if i dont understand all the details.

2 likes

Sympathy- but it will still add to what you are achieving.

Next time go gentle and relaxed. 😀

1 like

LOL, as opposed to near death and comatose today ;(

am glad i got out there and did something anyway :)

Nooooo - I didn't mean that!!! Early on someone advised me to deliberately relax when running - I have found that really helpful to how my running feels. 😃

1 like

Thanks. you're right. i've had some tension in my shoulders lately. i was particularly tense because of the delay since the last time, plus watching for ice on the pavements. I usually run in the evening too, and that seems better for me.

Definitely down to circumstances Flick. You are on the road back so there is bound to be a bump or two. You got out there and those are some good pace times! Heres to a faff-free run next time around.

1 like

Oh, thank you 😊 i was oleased with the times. I feel,like shit now, so I think I needed longer to recover from being under oar with labyrinthitis.

1 like

Yes, sounds like a bit more recovery time would help for sure.

1 like

Well you definitely couldn’t have tried any harder in the face of adversity! I bet you will sail through your next run 😊

1 like

Thank you. Feeling ropey now, so fingwrs crossed. Im determined to crack this!

1 like

You will! Definitely!

1 like

Thank you x

argh false starts never set you up right. You'll get there next time. If you had the determination to type this out several times, you certainly have the determination to do your next run!!

1 like

Haha, that’s one way of looking at it. Thank you. That made me chuckle and cheered me up 😊❤️

Interesting post... it reminded me a bit of, when you start a car and it stutters, then starts , then stutters and then starts..

Lots of issues going on with you...but, this is what the programme is all about... learning about ourselves, our bodies and our running..

When you are ready..head out... slow and steady and see how you go!

1 like

Oh thank you, LOL, well it was very cold today. I misjudged getting over the labyrinthitis. I had nothing in the tank. Felt awful when i got back. i used to be very good at being in touch with my body, but major surgery for cancer last year threw me for a loop. I have to get back in touch with my physical self along with that added sense of my own mortality. Clearly my judgment is somewhat out still.

Yes, slow and steady. i was so determined to beat the weather that i went at it like a bull at a gate. Heyho x

1 like

I am, as often is the case, is total awe of the strength of folk. Go you....:)

The one voice that is hardest to hear sometimes, is our own...and yet, is the one which we need to heed. I ignore mine on a regular basis... until my body lets me know in no uncertain terms what I should be doing.

Rest up and feel stronger soon:) x

1 like

You may also like...