for those worrying about week 5

Having woken up at 5.30am for some inexplicable reason, and decanted myself out into the freezing cold, I just did the second run, the two lots of 8 minutes, and I have to say the 20 minutes third run is no longer looking daunting. Slopes, hills and all, i could have kept running for longer each 8 minute segment. Average pace 10.6km, elevation gain 49m. I caught sight of myself in a shop window at one point, running up a slope, and saw that i was hunching, so immediately straightened up, and it made a difference to my breathing, so that's something to watch for - as are small dogs, on retractable leads, that want to leap up at you. Its owner muttered: a bit cold for a jog. A jog! Hmmph...I'm running!

I'm pleased to say that, so far, I haven't been plagued with aches and pains. As I start running I once in a while get a slight ache in my calves, but it goes within 30 seconds. I also once in a while get a slight twinge in my knees, but it is always gone the next day, if it lasts at all, and this is despite old injuries that i worried would be a problem. I do think this is due, in part, to walking around this very hilly town for the last 17 months. Also to having my gait tested and having the right shoes for my needs.

Roll on Friday and the 20 minute run!

9 Replies
oldestnewest

Well done great positive post & hills👍😊thats great, im just getting used to them but not as steep as yours!! Enjoy & your doing a great job👍

1 like

Thank you! I've been moaning about them for weeks, convinced I couldn't manage them, but somehow I seem to be getting used to them slowly.

Yes, nice to see you facing the challenges ofthis programme with relish. I printed out the whole thing and crossed off each run. I looked ahead to the later weeks with a sense of excitement at what the programme was training me to acheive..

We are all here as proof - if you follow the plan you will be able to run for 30mins. THe only different between one graduate and another is the pace they run it in. But a mile is a mile not matter how long it takes.

All the best with the rest of the programme, and please keep spreading the positive vibes.

1 like

Ah, well i did have a major whinge run 2 week 4! And thank you :)

1 like

Ah, but a bit of a moan about a bad day is different to feeling like the whole thing is beyond you. From here on in mindset is very important. More people falter because they let their doubts overcome them at this stage than those who physically cannot continue. I see a lot of posts where people have stopped, but they don't know why.

1 like

Well done you, the bad thing about hills is they exist! The good is that if you can face tackling them, they do help your running stamina. sounds as though you have started gaining the benefits...

1 like

Yeah, definitely. I ended the run on a really steep bit and felt I could have kept going. Mind you, that lovely “Mr Smooth” told me I could go faster if i wanted, early in the session, just as the bottom of a hill appeared. Im afraid I gave a very un ladylike snort.

Gosh, that was an early one! 49m elevation - blimey, that's tough. Good luck tomorrow - 20 mins - that'll be a real milestone!

1 like

Aw, thanks 😊 my elevation gain is always high here. I live in the highest town in the Cotswolds. That was a less steep route!

You may also like...