Couch to 5K
65,154 members98,441 posts

Runner’s High Five 🙏🏽

Hello

I do the couch to 5K every year as I don’t run in the summer months. I start the programme again each Autumn and then run right through to May. Such a great course!

Anyways - just wanted to share something that made me smile!

I went out running over the Humber Bridge the other day (my usual running spot!) and, as I passed a lady who was running towards me, (with a huge smile!) she held up her hand for a high five! 😂 🙏🏽

This has happened to me twice in my running life (ten years!) The last time was around 8 years ago when a young man did it to me.

It makes me smile so much...I don’t have the nerve to offer out a high five myself...but maybe I should!

Has anyone else ever had a random high five from a fellow runner? :-D or is anyone brave enough to offer them out? 😂

33 Replies
oldestnewest

I'm just happy if I got a nod, smile, thumbs up or any acknowledgement. Have never had a high 5, it would totally make my day, but I would likely end up tripping and landing on my face 🤣 which might make the other runner's day 🤣🤣

7 likes

😂 xx haha!

When I was running in Week 1, during the minute or 90-second runs I got a lot of waves from runners going in the opposite direction, however, when I was doing the walking part or if I am just out a walk, they either ignore me or at the most say hi as they pass in the opposite direction, yes, there a lot of friendly runners in the UK. I have never had a high five

1 like

Oh yes! You may have to run to qualify for some acknowledgment from a fellow runner! Xx:-)

I got a peace sign from a man today! 😂😂 and a few smiles!

2 likes

Wow! A peace sign?!

I may start out with this one, before I progress to the high five! X

1 like

Ah thats nice, i do get a few good mornings & nods but probably too slow for a high five , everyone else usually flying past me😂😂😂but im still smiling as i never thought id get back to 25mins Running 😊

3 likes

Such an amazing achievement! Well there’s only a few more minutes to go and you’re at the half hour mark :-0 xx

I am quite a slow runner myself! Xx 😂

I sometimes doff my imaginary hat...Interested though, why don't you carry on running in the summer?

4 likes

:-)

Because I just don’t enjoy it in the summer haha! 😂 I don’t enjoy running in heat so have always liked to switch to power walking/trekking/hiking in summer and then run again in cooler months! :-) x

2 likes

I got one just recently! What a nice feeling :)

3 likes

Oh that’s so nice! It isn’t a lovely feeling - thank you for sharing! X

2 likes

I got one once from a walker. I was a bit taken aback at the time but then felt really chuffed afterwards 🙂 I kept thinking, "do I know him?" 🙂

3 likes

Hahaha! So nice that you engaged with it, it must’ve made his day! :) xx

2 likes

what a lovely thing! i might try that if i spot a good candidate coming towards me!

3 likes

Would love to hear how you got on if you did do it...it may inspire me to start giving a few out across the bridge! Xx

2 likes

I'll report back - my next run is thursday!

I can imagine there was something about the location which made it more likely - seems to call for a bigger gesture somehow.

[The Humber Bridge is where my precious firstborn made me think we had given him a rather middle class upbringing because aged 8 or 9 he declared 'Hull smells of sushi'... the actual explanation is really that he was raised vegetarian so didn't get to smell what he was actually smelling all that often]

4 likes

Yes you may be right there!

Laughed over your Sushi comment! I’ve been in Hull a year (relocated for work) and I have to admit that sometimes, outside my office really does smell of sushi! 😂 xx

I’m planning to run over the Humber Bridge soon, I’ll high five you although I’d hate to be left hanging if I picked the wrong runner 😄

Some runners look so serious, I always smile at least if I can get eye contact

4 likes

Oh I would love to have another one! I shall look out for you! 😂 you know...that is the fear...to be left hanging hahaha! Xx

1 like

✋🏼

1 like

✋🏽 X

Oh wow! I haven't been offered 'Runner High Five' and I think I am not brave enough to initiate.

I had some nods, smiles, waving hands :) some / many iniiated by me :D

3 likes

its lovely to get some acknowledgment from a fellow runner...a ‘you’re in the club’ kinda acknowledgement! 😂 xx

3 likes

I'd be honoured by R-High-5 ;) If you will see some small not-so-young girl trying not to trip, catch my eye and give me one happy runner high five ;)

Yeah, I know my route is kinda far away from yours, but who knows where our paths will cross ;)

2 likes

We should start a high-fiving revolution!

What’s not to love?

I mean, really, what’s the worse thing that can happen? 😂

2 likes

Introvert on the other side leaving you with your hand hanging alone?

1 like

That’s not the end of the world though. Go for it!

2 likes

I didn't figure out anything 'worse' ;)

1 like

Thank you so much for all your replies! Made me smile! 😂 xx

3 likes

I think you’ve started something! I always say hello to passing runners and walkers. Most will at least smile back.

I think it’s a regional thing. I’m staying in Luxembourg for a few days and they are definitely NOT used to it here!

1 like

I want one!! 😀

For now I am just grateful for other runners smiling in a way that doesn't look like a suppressed guffaw!

2 likes

You may also like...