Couch to 5K
62,569 members95,380 posts

Running on grass or tarmac?

Morning

I went for my W4R2 this morning and found it harder than I was expecting. The last week or so of runs have gone very well - almost bouncing along with a real spring in my step = however I was running on tarmac whereas today I was back on grass. Is it "easier" to run on tarmac or is it just one of those days?? Would love to hear if anyone else has noticed this...

4 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Lizziemac, running on grass is supposed to be gentler on the knees, but I have always found that it absorbs my momentum somehow, and feels much harder than lightly running on the tarmac. I feel a bit heavy footed on grass.

No need to bounce, but I know what you mean about feeling more energised. Good luck with the last run of W4. 😊x

It's probably good for you to be able to run on both surfaces especially if you hope to do Parkrun or have trails or grassy paths nearby.

Hi Jan-now-runs - I think that was exactly what it felt like!! There is a woodland path near us I might try - flat and compact but hopefully not as much impact as tarmac! I think you're right about being able to run on both surfaces too!

Thanks!

1 like

No bouncing.. I had an incident involving bouncing :)

The grass and tracks can be more forgiving but the uneven terrain can provide issues:) As Bluebirdrunner says, trying both is good practice:)

2 likes

Thanks Oldfloss - think I'm going to try alternating and see how that works!!

2 likes

You may also like...