Couch to 5K
55,061 members87,603 posts

Best way to build stamina and pace

Hi all. So one week after graduating and I've still done my 3 runs.... Yesterday I didn't think about where I was going, I just ran. I did 4.7K!! So close.... Did take me 44 minutes mind!! So how do I build up. Should I set a time... Say add 5 minutes on a week, or should I be working to a distance? I've read that going back to a walk run interval may help, and to try and do one longer run a week will help. Any advice? I like a bit of a structure I think. Thanks 😊

4 Replies
oldestnewest

I read 10% increase weekly

1 like

The C25K+ podcasts are great for aiding and abetting speed and distance..but, do some more consolidation of 30 minute runs first!

Different routes if you can and a few longer runs,,but always including 30 minute runs..after a couple of weeks, try those podcasts... :) They are not overly easy..but Speed and Stamina... are great for the discipline in our running :)

1 like

I started running 3 times a week. And continued as best I could to get comfortable at 5k. Just concentrate at getting to 5k and just keep at that distance for a couple of months. Over time you will naturally get faster. Try Parkrun too. It's fantastic and a great way to monitor your progress.

2 likes

Best to stick with three runs per week at the moment. Make one of those your long run and increase it each week by no more than 10% of your weekly total mileage. This is assuming that you want to increase your distance. There is a Bridge to 10k forum.

Mix up your running but bear in mind that 75% of your running should be at an easy pace (that includes the long run) so you only work on speed say once a week. Intervals or fartlek is good for speed. You could try the C25K+ podcasts.

1 like

You may also like...