Couch to 5K
73,952 members β€’ 105,858 posts

W2R1 - mantra got me through

Lost my running partner today (my daughter) the novelty has worn off... so I'm now on my own. Felt a bit self conscious leaving the house.. hoping I wouldn't see anyone.

I went to a playing field near the house and ran (ha ha) around the football markings. I had quite a few negative 'can't do' thoughts but I got through it... I'm using the jo whiley coach and she said something about positive mantras.

I can do this! I want to do this!

So I started my 90s runs visualising an event I'm going to in September - looking great on the dance floor... not red and sweaty because I'm so unfit (yeah - after a couple of wines I think Im a pro and go for it!)

Then when it got hard and I wanted to stop i said out loud - I want to be fit and healthy... then when my left foot hit the floor - fit - right foot hit - healthy - fit - healthy - fit.... I swear it got me through!

14 Replies
oldest β€’ newest

Great mantra! It sounds so obvious but focussing on the positives really does help you get through and you can't get fitter sitting on the couch.

2 likes

Just read your own post for today - congratulations!!!! I'm looking forward to doing a victory run!!

1 like

Ha ha! Yes I am a bit overexcited today πŸ˜€

Well done ! I'm like you a daughter getting married in December and that's what I'm focusing on !

Just on W1r3...... a bit to go yet 😱

1 like

Only one behind me! I keep reading the graduate posts thinking 'how on earth will I get there' but they all started the same as us.. πŸ€Έβ€β™€οΈ

2 likes

That is very true. You just take it one run at a time.

1 like

And some of us started in much more terrible shape, believe me ;)

2 likes

Never...John ? x

1 like

So I've heard anyway ROFL πŸ˜‚

1 like

Exactly we all have to start somewhere and I get a lot of encouragement reading others stories , believe me I need it !!

2 likes

Well done, anything that helps has got to be good. A mantra I often use when I think I'm getting close to giving up is 'easy peezy lemon squeezy' I find that helps get my rhythm back and it's worked so far!

Happy Running!

1 like

Yeay!!! Go you..positive mantras do it every time...

Squish those pesky gremlins under foot and be so proud that you are out there and doing it!!! :

1 like

I used to run round our park. I felt a right prawn going round and round, and people I knew kept stopping me to talk. I used to point at my earphones and shout 'can't stop - gotta keep going for another 90 seconds' or whatever. They must have thought I was barmy. It got my knees through those first painful weeks though, so was worth it in the end. I ended up at 5 so I was done before the dog walkers came out!

2 likes

Sounds like a great idea. Well done for getting yourself through it. I've heard this programme works... just got to keep on keeping on πŸšΆπŸ½β€β™€οΈπŸƒπŸ½β€β™€οΈπŸšΆπŸ½β€β™€οΈπŸƒπŸ½β€β™€οΈ

1 like

You may also like...