Wk1 R3 Running through the rain

The problem ( I discovered as I opened the door) with scheduling a run in the evening and having only a very small time window in which to complete it is that if it is pouring with rain you can't postpone until later in the day.It crossed my mind to cancel the run until tomorrow but on realising how disappointed I 'd be not to complete Wk 1 'on time' I grabbed my anorak and set off. As a newbie with no ' proper running gear' anorak and trackie bottoms is not my best look however I took consolation in the fact that with my hood on I might go unrecognized! By the end of the 'warm up' I was wind blown,wet and seriously questioning my sanity however by the end of my third minute of running I realised I was already as wet as I could possibly get and therefore I may as well enjoy the rest. And so I did ,pressing on through the puddles, slow and steady as I've learnt, and eventually as I approached the cool down the rain petered out and the fresh scent of spring filled my nostrils ( how does the air do that after a downpour?) anyway this was so unexpected and lovely that as I walked home I reflected that this particular run had brought a reward all of it's own.

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

11 Replies

oldestnewest
  • We love to run in the rain, it's cooling when the weather is warm. A running cap and light weight run jacket would be a good idea. I got both from Aldi cheap as chips. Once you stop running you start to get cold, and being wet and cold is a no-no.

• Thank you I will start to look for some better running clothes 🙂

• Good idea! They are very inexpensive but worth the small outlay. Basically, run tights, lightweight run jacket and a technical dri-fit top. All can be got for a tiny outlay

I love Lidl and Aldi.

• Great Advice thanks

• Decathlon is good too

• That's part of the fun tbh. I love opening the drawer where I keep my running clothes and seeing my lovely new running tops etc 👍 Also, I keep my running shoes by the front door which I think keeps my enthusiasm for running going 😍

• Shoes by the front door is a good idea and I will have a look at decathlon too thanks 🙂

• Well done getting the job done Lastlight, enjoy your success.😊

Onwards and upwards...

• Fabulous feeling 👍

• It is a lovely feeling indeed! I find it so incredibly liberating -- when the rain is not ice cold, i take a moment to stand still arms outstretched to feel the drops landing on every part of my body. And the smell, it's incredible. Happy running! (PS: it helps to have tight clothing so nothing chafes!)

• Definitely don't want chafing so I will keep that in mind thanks! With the right clothing I think I could probably enjoy running in light rain too😀

You may also like...