Shin Splint :-(

So, I did my first 5K run on Friday evening, last week 😊 I walked 10 miles on Saturday, then again on Sunday and was planning to do the same on Monday, but stopped after seven miles due to worsening pain in my left shin. By Monday evening, my shin was red, swollen hot and very sore.

I'm still suffering. My calf is hard, shin sore and swollen, and it's still quite warm. I'm really, really disappointed. I'd done a few one and two mile runs before the 5K run, with no problems. I can see my new-found fitness slipping away faster than I can run after it 😞 I'm struggling on with kettlebell workouts at home, but can't really do any legwork.

Just wondering how long it will last, when can I run again, and what's the chances of reoccurrence when I do run again?

TIA for any help and advice.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • There is lots of info online about treating shin splints. I wonder, are you having enough rest in between runs? You seem to be doing an awful lot!

• I've read sooooo much about them online... some pages say rest for a week, others 2-4 weeks, and some have said they take 4-6 months to heal and you shouldn't run in that time 😳 The 10-milers were walks, not runs. I leave 2-3 days between each run (and just walk in between).

I've done gentle stretches, ice etc. Thinking maybe running isn't for me 😔

• It it's swollen and very painful I would see the doctor or find a local sports physio. Shin splints are so painful but can be treated and perhaps not a reason to give up running. Hope you manage to sort them

• I tried to get an appointment, but it's three weeks away 😕 I'm a Clinical Assistant in a GP surgery, but we aren't allowed to bother the GPs at work.

I'm feeling really sorry for myself! 😁

You may also like...