Couch to 5K
55,021 members87,573 posts

Advice please

Hi all

I posted last week about how chuffed I was about my successful w4r1 had gone- but I woke up the next morning with a swollen left ankle and localised pain just above the joint. I visited the a doctor who informed me it was a strained tendon and to rest it.

This has meant I have missed one run on Sunday and now I'll miss tonight's run with my running group because it is still inflamed and swollen.

I'm getting a little anxious about when to start up again and whether I should repeat a W3 run rather than the next W4r2 I should be on. Some advice would be great

Thanks

4 Replies
oldestnewest

Oh no, poor you!! 😒 I know I'm still new to this running malarkey, but I'd say go with what your body can cope with - try a week 3 then if you feel up to it, fast forward a week for your next session. The worst thing you could do would be to strain the tendon again, or do worse damage, by pushing yourself too hard. Thinking of you!!

1 like

Swelling is not good, tendons and ligaments are the last thing you want to damage as they can take a long time to heal and permanent damage to them can put you out of the game completely! Make sure you've rested enough and go conservatively. I understand you're worried about your progress, but you don't want to retire your running career just yet!

1 like

Ouch! That sounds sore. You could try W4R1 again and see how the ankle feels. You can always ease off a bit and go to the previous run if needs be. A

The important thing is to rest and don't risk running again too soon.

1 like

Yep, I tried to "run off" a strained Achilles when I first tried C25K and that resulted in not being able to *walk* without discomfort for several weeks, let alone run.

You may also like...