Uggggggh

I've had quite a hard day on my first day of week 2.

I've recently had to start taking betablockers for heart palpitations and anxiety and it's left me unable to sleep properly. Today's work has been a challenge (as are most days as new to the job). Stuck in traffic - thanks M27. And didn't have breakfast as a result of desperate measures to stay in bed for an extra 5 minutes. But by some grace of 'come on let's go!', I dropped my lanyard for the running shoes, clicked 'start' and went on my next run.

So many little tinkers buzzing off sugar and in costumes I felt like I was hurdling them a lot of the time. This run was difficult. I am very tired but still unable to fully rest. I'm a professionally trained drummer so timing has always (well, usually) is spot on. My breathing was erratic, my route was a half a mile too far, and I only had chicken nuggets.

I feel like although I made it through running , today may have been a bit of a flop and that old nagging voice going 'you can't do this you silly sausage'. Anybody else get like this? (I won't give up, mind. I don't want to be a sausage)

14 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Yep. Two years on and some runs are still crummy for no rhyme or reason. But you persevered, and even if it didn't feel great, it was good for you. You need some bad ones in the mix to make the good runs feel better. The next one should go smoother for you.

• Thanks lovely - it's very hard on 3 hours sleep and numbers buzzing the mindtank ahaha. Look forward to my next run though :)

• Consider yourself a hero for getting out the door under those conditions. That shows grit and determination.

• I have to do this - not in a way of 'ohhh but I have to' but I need to prove to myself that I can achieve what seems an impossible task now - running long distances! Rock and rock :)

• I used to feel like this every time I started on a new week. I'd go.. "What? Run for 3 mins / 5 mins/ 8 mins (fill in the blank) non-stop? It'll kill me". Each week I thought I wasn't ready for the next stage and thought I would repeat the previous week and each week I would think "Let's just have a go at the new week and see how it goes - I can always redo the previous week." And somehow each (new) week I managed to struggle (and shuffle) my way through it. I'm 50 and asthmatic and if I can do it anyone can.

If you made it through your run today, then it wasn't a flop but a success!

I read on here that Couch to 5k is actually more about breaking through a mental barrier than a physical one and it is so true. This is what I found. Don't talk yourself down - tell yourself you can do it! And you will.

• Thanks for the support NorthernLass :) when Michael Johnson says 'off you go' I'm like 'nooooo!' but I did get through it. I think I may need to adjust my route though!

• You're definitely not a sausage Anna...sausages can't run! ;) No seriously, you should be proud of the determination you've showed so far and the fact that despite struggling with many issues, you saw it through and completed the run successfully. That's all that matters!

As long as you complete your run, take a rest day (or 2) then move onto the next run it doesn't matter how long it takes to do it, or how far you go, because all of that will come after you've graduated from the plan.

As for the erratic breathing and those doubtful thoughts you're getting, you're not alone. We all went through that, but I can assure you it does get easier the more runs you complete. :) It also helps to go very slowly too. I found that slowing down (even more!) took away any breathing issues I had when I was struggling.

I'm on week 7 now and I find that I don't really struggle with my breathing anymore (unless I up my pace), and yet when I think back to my first few weeks when I did struggle, it really amazes me at how much I've improved that side of my fitness. I'm sure you will improve your own fitness in a very similar way as well. So keep on running, and ignore those negative thoughts. They are wrong negative thoughts anyway, because you *can* do this! :)

• Hahah I will be a total sausage if I don't run, so I'm choosing to be a runner bean instead :)

I think I'm still running a wee bit too fast. One bit was quite a steep decline and my legs just kind of went with it and I just kind of naturally went faster. I don't want to overdo it and do damage or hinder the plan. My last run (if all goes to plan) is on Christmas Eve, so I hope by then I can really get the breathing under control :)

Thanks Lee :)

• No probs Anna! :)

I hope you do indeed finish on Christmas Eve. That would be a nice present to yourself wouldn't it? Yeah, you wanna make sure you don't go too fast...most graduates on here say that you ideally need to jog at a nice steady pace you are comfortable with, as when you start the longer runs, you risk getting too tired to continue, or even worse you could pick up an injury! Take it steady...eddie! ;)

• Absolutely. It's definitely a goal. I don't plan to eat and drink myself in to the usual Christmas coma this year. I can't let a holiday be an excuse to not run or to push my goal back.

I'll definitely stick to the steady pace rather than faster :)

• It will be interesting to see if as you progress with your running, which you surely will with the determination already evident, whether your sleep improves.

Palpitations are so tedious - and even if your mind isn't at all anxious they create that sensation.

I love the image of you hurdling little trick or treaters!

• I did sleep significantly better last night but I still struggled to get to sleep. I think I'm adjusting to the new medication. I've only just getting anxiety this year as a result of years of depression and with that the heart palpitations - which can be terrifying at times.

Ahhhh they really were excitable little monsters last night - I ended up having to run on the road in order to keep up the run time aha

• You'll be fine. Just go nice and slow and you'll be fine. Be a bit Zen, bring everything down nice and steady. There we are, feeling better already

I had palpitations when I was going through the menopause. It was then that my unhealthy lifestyle started to bite me on the bum. Cleaned up my act and now I feel sooooooooooo much better. Hopefully if you can get fit you can drop the medication. Eat well!!! Doing C25k is a great opportunity to overhaul yourself and take on board healthier habits, including making healthier food choices

Most of all, enjoy the sessions. I loved them and I hope you will too. Good luck!

• I've just had to take a half day from work as I'm so exhausted, my mood is all over the shop; I think I'll be dropping the medications sooner rather than later now. But yes, Zen and steady for the rest of the day methinks.

Thanks lovely :)