Advice Needed

It's been nearly 2 weeks since my lat run (Week 6, Run 1) due to a knock to my ankle, an old foot injury which reared its head and a chest infection which I'm still nursing. The foot/ankle is alot better now and if my infection clears in the next few days then I'm planning to get back into everything later this week.

My question is should I continue with Week 6, run 2, start from beginning of week 6 or go back a few weeks? I found the last run okay, although muscles were aching.

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • No idea officially but as a nurse, maybe a test run to see how far you can push that recovering chest? It may take up to 6 weeks to get rid of your cough and clear it completely if it needed antiB's. I would try running as far as feels comfortable, maybe push it a little further than that to build you up and see roughly where that length of run fits in with the programme? Get well soon!

• Not medically qualified at all, but I also took a 2 week break due to the awful chest infection going around between w5r2 and w5r3. I came back and carried on as normal.

My advice would be to go and do w6r2, but take it really slowly. If you need to walk during the run, hey, that's life.

Two weeks isn't a long time in terms of losing fitness, so if you are fully recovered then go for it.

I think the key thing to remember is that you ARE a w6r2 runner - you have earned it, and the risk is that when you find the next run difficult (and you will!) you will think 'ah, I am not recovered' when in fact running is just plain hard, and if you wait until it isn't then you will be waiting a very long time ;-).

Does that make sense?

• If you try W6R2 and manage it, all well and good, otherwise drop back to the beginning of W5 and see how that goes. Only you can know when you are out there running.

• Thankyou all for your replies. I've had Bronchitis and unfortunately felt worse towards the end of last week. Feeling much better now and I'm going to go out for a gentle run today to see where I'm at, then will hopefully pick back up from beginning of week 6. Thankyou again for the advice.

You may also like...