Week 8 run 3 and a surprise

Week 8 run 3 and a surprise

Just got back from the final week 8 run.  I find that the first 10 minutes are not pleasant, you just have to get through them. But after that I get into some kind of running groove, still with heavy legs but managable.  My pace is a slow shuffle of a jog, only passing people if they have at least one walking stick.

But today around the half way mark, I was getting a message that if I wanted to, there was an extra gear available.  I dismissed this with some scorn, thinking that this was not the time to mess around and maybe not finish the run.  But I was still feeling good at the 28 minute mark and suddenly to my surprise I upped and RAN.  Speed, legs lifting up behind, fast enough to set my hair flying, and a manic grin on my face.  I stopped after half a minute, more out of shock than anything else and completed the run for 30 minutes, with no stops.  I had been wondering when reading about interval training, i.e. slow jog with bursts of speed, knowing that so far I didn't have anything in the tank to give, but wow, maybe there will be! 

Life is full of surprises.  I add another photo, just because I can.  It is the Greek mountains as seen from our house.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Looks great Lily. Is that snow still?

• That was taken a while back but we have a fresh coat of snow on the mountains from recent rain here.  Often we have some snow on the tops 8 to 9 months of the year.  Looks lovely

• I love that! Gives me hope!  Still trying to transition from that slow shuffle of a jog to actual running. In a 29 minute jog today, I managed about 60 seconds of running. :-\ - but it was the best running I've done so far since I stared this aside from some 50 yard dashes early on to check my state. Pitiful state btw.

You may also like...