Parkrun 2 with knees

Having wittered on about knees earlier in the week, I tried a few bike rides of about 3 miles and found some reduction in the soreness. After a cautious check this morning, I decided to go to the parkrun on the basis that I didn't have to start (since there is no registration) and, if I did, I could drop out without being noticed. I could also walk a bit if I did try to do the whole thing. With these provisos, I took my place among the pushchairs (actually only one today and no dogs) and set off, seeing the leaders disappearing into the far distance for their 15-16 minute jog. My first km was completed at 7 minutes something/km, giving rise to the wild idea that my overall time would start with 3. It didn't, of course, but I got to the end without walking in 41 minutes, about 3/4 min less slow than the last time. I actually overtook someone younger than myself (they all are anyway). So the said knees are a bit fragile but still working, with caution. Thanks everyone for the advice, which I may turn to again in the next week.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Good plan, just improve by a minute each time and every time you reach a personal best! Well done, I volunteered instead but next Saturday, watch out world. Knees r bit niggly right now so going to have 2 day rest before Saturday. Well done you, good effort. Just goes to show if we do what our knees tell us, we would never run 😊

• Well done! I've found riding a bike a bit easier on the legs.

I don't usually get sore knees when running but my mind is always on my legs when running and how much of a pounding they seem to be getting.

• Well done Austen !

Get you , leaving another runner for dust ha ha :-)

You are a complete inspiration and I am so pleased your knees didnt give you any trouble xxx

• Another successful Parkrun done :) Make sure you do your quad strengthening exercises to protect your knees - they really do work!!

You may also like...