2nd run (week one), slightly better equipped and better run

This might betray quite how badly equipped I was on my 1st run...

Today I tried wearing some old trainers instead of the converses. They're not strictly running shoes but at least they have arch support. I felt a bit of a spring in my step, a taste of what it might feel like when my body gets more attuned to running. Proper running shoes are definitely on the list of things to get.

I wore my lightweight rain jacket which was not too warm. Zip up pockets meant I didn't have to worry about my keys and phone falling out. The jacket was definitely a solution of sorts, but it's too small for me and could become too warm. So I'm on the lookout for a lightweight breathable top with useful zip pockets too. I think I can stick with my old track suit trousers for the time being though... These legs are not designed for shorts!

Lastly I wore headphones so I could hear the 'run', 'walk' etc, and not have to be visually checking the app on my phone. But my email alerts kept coming through, which was distracting, so I'll have to change that bit to silent next time... The headphones also kept my ears warm.

Running hot bath and stretching hamstrings right now, then getting on with my work :)

Last edited by

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • EXCELLENT.

The shoes are the only really important bit of kit. These can be last seasons styles, which are much cheaper, and just as good, but are important. Get a gait analysis doe by a decent running shop. This should be free, and you don't have to buy from them, but you may well want to build up a relationship with them.

The post-run stretches are seriously necessary. Without them, walking the following day can be a painful experience. They need to be done as soon as possible after the warm-down walk.

Keep going, and work on getting your grad badge.

• Thanks. I've learnt the hard way in the past about stretches. Will def get that gait analysis and some shoes. Once I've got these I think I'll be good to go with doing the rest of the whole couch to 5k programme.

• Well done. You're doing great so far. Get the running shoes if you think you're going to stick with the programme

Lightweight running jacket wise - they do a good Karrimor one at Sportsdirect (with two side zip pockets)

sportsdirect.com/karrimor-r...

Mine was a pressie and I think it was £17.99. I got a cheapo Aldi one but that came without pockets, which I found no use at all so don't wear that one much

Keep on running slow but sure and you'll be delivered safely to run 3 week 9

• Clothing isn't really that important (as long as you wear some ;) ) but shoes are. Having said that I did buy a couple of tops and I do find them better than ordinary cotton t-shirts. You can generally get a good deal if you look around. Aldi and Lidl sometimes do them and it can be worth dropping into Sports Direct too. Still wearing the same old tracky bottoms though :)

Definitely need to stretch afterwards and it's a pity it's not mentioned on the first podcast really as I remember being surprisingly achey after the very first run.

Enjoy your bath :)

• Thanks. Yes surprisingly achey considering it feels like it's just baby steps. Hot bath works wonders. I will be having one of these three days a week from now on :) I def need to fit a sport shop dropin to my schedule somehow...

• Yeah, I think that's why it catches you out at first! Good luck with your shoe (etc) shopping and happy running :D

• Definitely worth getting the right shoes for you :D and with your added confidence on your runnin there will be no stopping you :D

You may also like...