emergency stop

So since starting a running club in the office (5km twice a week after work) and taking advantage of the not so cold weather I came to an emergency stop when I woke up last week with an excruciating pain on my left leg. After a trip to A&E I was told this may be a trapped nerve or a slip disk or sciatic and I need to get it checked. Until the root of the pain is found, I am to stay away from any physical activity except walking or swimming.

I am feeling really gutted as earlier that day I have committed with some friends to a half marathon in June (I know is many months away but still).

I'm going to my local pool trying to find out their classes and schedules so I keep the stamina up and hope to get this resolved asap. I can't believe now that I had all the winter run sorted (got running buddies, warm clothes and a Garmin) I cannot do it!

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Oh I am so sorry. I hope they get to the bottom of it soon. I can only imagine how you feel mentally as well as physically. Speedy recovery and i hope you find something to fill the void in the mean time.

• Not good, I hope they get to the bottom of it.

Try not to be too disheartened yet. I have slipped a disc several times (once when getting out of my car!), had sciatica when I was pregnant and still have lower back pain now. So long as I don't push too far then it all seems ok when running. I hasten to add that I would never run if it was painful!

I'm down for a HM in March next year so a HM in June is still feasible just so long as you take whatever medical advice is offered to you! Lots of core strength work/pilates/yoga and, hopefully, it will all come good in the end.

You may also like...