OK, who can help

I hurt my foot / ankle three months ago, don't know how. It is still painful, Doctor is investigating why. I have been told off for walking too much, though it's just the standard going to and from the shops etc - I don't have a car and we need food in the house. I need to find another way to keep fit - don't suggest swimming or water based exercise (terrified of water) - that puts no strain on my foot / ankle. Any suggestions. I am expanding as I type!!!

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Do weight training, maybe. Or practise one-legged high jumps (on the good ankle, obviously!). Get a wheelchair and practise wheel chair speed driving.

Seriously, it sounds like quite a conundrum. So many exercises require you to at least walk or stand on your legs. Hope someone can think of something which suits you.

• Some people on here have posted of the joys of weighted hoola hoops (not the circular crisps type ;) ) but have never tried it myself. Are you able to cycle or does that hurt your ankle too?

• Well you could take the mens sana in corpore sano approach and tackle the water issue.

It's difficult when you don't yet know the nature of the injury - I am wondering if footwear might be the answer. You might be better off talking to a physio. Or a podiatrist.

There's chair based exercise which would help you maintain strength and flexibility but it isn't going to burn the calories. How would cycling be? Could you cycle to the shops?

• Well thanks to all who replied. Shops only 7 mins walk from my house, down a rather steep hill. Think waiting til I have a diagnosis on foot thing then decide on my options is the best move. Hoola Hoops, weighted or otherwise! Couldn't do it as a child - I suspect, as an adult (allegedly) I still wouldn't be able to do it (though I am very good at the salted potato bases snack type :-D ). No Googleme, water very, very, very scary and it's out to get me ;-) .

• Well thanks to all who replied. Shops only 7 mins walk from my house, down a rather steep hill. Think waiting til I have a diagnosis on foot thing then decide on my options is the best move. Hoola Hoops, weighted or otherwise! Couldn't do it as a child - I suspect, as an adult (allegedly) I still wouldn't be able to do it (though I am very good at the salted potato bases snack type :-D ). No Googleme, water very, very, very scary and it's out to get me ;-) .

• Defo cycling - there are plenty of cheap second hand bikes out there. Get a cheap set of panniers, and your shopping needs are catered for too!

You may also like...